anechoic chamber

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
Peter

Update

Postby Peter » 16 Sep 2013 04:18

a bit further ahead and starting to feel quite pleased about it all.
Its getting pretty dark inside and quiet but discovering that nose is like water and it needs only the slightest gap to get in. The internal chamber will seal it off quite well I think as its getting better and better.
Lighting and ventilation are next on the agenda

http://53x12.co.nz/
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Re: anechoic chamber

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2013 04:58

Peter wrote:discovering that nose is like water and it needs only the slightest gap to get in.

Good analogy. You need to block out all waves, whether light or compression waves. And it is only as good as the smallest crack or opening to let those waves in. It 'seeps' in like water. It's like trying to build a boat, and the smallest pin-sized hole will make it sink. It's quite easy to block out the light, but sound is another thing altogether isn't it?

But you can always upgrade it and fix it up after if there are problems and don't expect it to be perfect right away. But if you're going to do something you should do it right.

I've been thinking about your project and am curious how to have ventilation without sound. There are ways I am sure, but it's a big obstacle in my own vision of it. I too am a Do it Yourselfer and like to imagine blue prints in my mind. The ventilation without sound has me stumped. I am curious to find out how you solve that problem.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Sep 2013 05:17

I am thinking along the lines that I will put a grid or entrance about 30mm square in one corner of the chamber. This will allow air to come in from the gap between the two rooms and if I put in in the floor it will have a decent area below to feed off.
There is a void behind one wall about 3 meters long and close to 1 meter high and this is behind both chambers so allows air to come in and fill the void between the two chambers. A gap of about 1 meter hight and 50mm wide in one external wall feeds to this back void. So far air and there fore any nose will need to come through tighter and tighter gaps and turn 4 right angles and I have read somewhere this is the key.

To get air flow I am looking at what is called a pan pump. these are used to take air from a toilet and get rid of it so there is no smell in there and are an inline pump with a 40mm inlet and outlet. These can be mounted up to 30 meters away so I can put one of these a long way out and hope there is no feedback from this. All a bit of trial and error but never bother with this as I can change anything I want.

This set up should allow air in and a small negative pressure due to the pump that will give air flow. The pump will be directly into the internal chamber.

Have a think and if you got some ideas I am keen to look them
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2013 05:30

Peter wrote:So far air and there fore any nose will need to come through tighter and tighter gaps and turn 4 right angles and I have read somewhere this is the key.

I agree that is the key. Don't have a straight line but give sound a maze and walls to bounce back on so it doesn't find its way in. Makes sense.

And keeping the ventilation hole small is a good idea too. I was thinking a large vent, but 30mm is all you need.

I wonder though, when air comes in you have to think about how it exists as well and you already mentioned 'negative pressure', and I am sure you have thought of that, but I didn't quite get the full picture in my mind.

Is there a second hole to allow air to escape?

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Sep 2013 06:26

I expect normal air pressure to fill the chamber by way of the vent hole in the bottom and want the 40mm vent, pipe and pump to draw air from the chamber. This should introduce a small amount of air flow by way of extracting air from the chamber and this air being replaced by normal atmospheric pressure. Same way a mine is ventilated, if you pump air in and it stops then gas is able to get back into the shafts but if you draw air out and it stops then there is a positive inflow that hold gas in. Slightly different in a chamber but think its easier to move a little air to get if fresh and if the pump stops I still have air.

LOL - could do a Schrodinger's cat experiment and see what the results are. Soon find out if there is good enough air.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2013 16:33

I see.
Instead of pumping air in you simply pump it out. That way you won't feel a draft either.

It does remind me of Shrodinger's cat experiment, but in this case it is Shrodinger's Peter.
You may suffocate, or you may survive, but nobody will know until they open the chamber and look inside. :lol:

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Sep 2013 20:27

Won't it get hot as hell in there?
Well said.

Peter

Postby Peter » 29 Sep 2013 22:33

yes could do, I have plenty of venting and looking at putting in a small pump at some distance so no noise to get air flow. There will be compromises but that's the interesting stuff and should not detract from the end results as far getting what I want out of it.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”