Time release 5-htp and time release Melatonin - Are they helpful?

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
RedKryptonite

Time release 5-htp and time release Melatonin - Are they helpful?

Postby RedKryptonite » 13 Oct 2016 02:39

Hello everyone,I know that ordinary 5-htp and Melatonin are helpful when making dreams more vivid/powerful but what about the time-release versions? I recently bought time release 5-htp,here is the product:

http://www.iherb.com/natrol-5-htp-tr-time-release-100-mg-45-tablets/11628

I would like to know if I have made the right choice for the purposes of dreaming,or should I have just gotten the ordinary version? I haven't really used it yet.

Gert

Re: Time release 5-htp and time release Melatonin - Are they helpful?

Postby Gert » 09 Feb 2017 19:37

Hi RedKryptonite,

Melatonin and 5-HTP works in a similar way, it actually suppress REM sleep and put you in deep sleep for the first part of the night. Although this seems counteractive at first it is actual ideal for lucid dreaming as it will allow you to take advantage of the so called REM-Rebound effect where your body will try and make up for the lost REM sleep in the first half of the night and providing you with mostly REM sleep on the second half, while still maintaining a good balance of both overall. The reason why they make your dreams seem more vivid is that you get more rem sleep before you wake up and therefore you remember more of it.

So for dreaming, and lucid dreaming in particular, the timed release option is a BAD idea, but the ordinary option one is great.

5-HTP is the better option of the 2 when it comes to dreaming, although melatonin (when used correctly) has the added advantage of helping you go to sleep in the first place, but makes it a little harder to fall back to sleep after it has worn off (when attemting WBTB).

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 08 Aug 2017 10:50

Gert wrote:Hi RedKryptonite,

Melatonin and 5-HTP works in a similar way, it actually suppress REM sleep and put you in deep sleep for the first part of the night. Although this seems counteractive at first it is actual ideal for lucid dreaming as it will allow you to take advantage of the so called REM-Rebound effect where your body will try and make up for the lost REM sleep in the first half of the night and providing you with mostly REM sleep on the second half, while still maintaining a good balance of both overall. The reason why they make your dreams seem more vivid is that you get more rem sleep before you wake up and therefore you remember more of it.

So for dreaming, and lucid dreaming in particular, the timed release option is a BAD idea, but the ordinary option one is great.

5-HTP is the better option of the 2 when it comes to dreaming, although melatonin (when used correctly) has the added advantage of helping you go to sleep in the first place, but makes it a little harder to fall back to sleep after it has worn off (when attemting WBTB).

Hi Gert,I know this topic has been dead long,long ago but now that I've just logged back into this website,I'd like to take the time to say thank you for the information. it would definitely be very useful for me. I'm not using any supplements at the moment(I've gotten a LOT better now at inducing lucid dreams,but I still consider myself a beginner. with more time and practice,I should eventually become an intermediate,yay! :D ) but I probably will experiment with them again in the future. again,thank you for your time.

HunterClash

Postby HunterClash » 09 Aug 2017 10:59

lol Almost a year dead
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream
4: 8/17/17 - The Snake
5: 8/19/17 - The Super Speed(Fail)
6: 8/26/17 - The Ball Pool

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2017 05:48

used 5HTP a lot on going to bed and with sleep detectors like ZEO and EMFIT it shows a little more deep sleep and less REM at times but is not consistent. That could be due to me if I have a beer or coffee on going to bed or late afternoon. I like it and use it if i am on a mission to get lucid and want to push it a bit.
melatonini have not used but read that it can be good in small does for WB2B if you struggle to get to sleep again. The contradiction here is that you are trying to go to sleep while staying awake at the same time so too much will put both parts of you mind to sleep. I will have a go with some soon. Hope this helps
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 12 Aug 2017 11:57

Peter wrote:used 5HTP a lot on going to bed and with sleep detectors like ZEO and EMFIT it shows a little more deep sleep and less REM at times but is not consistent. That could be due to me if I have a beer or coffee on going to bed or late afternoon. I like it and use it if i am on a mission to get lucid and want to push it a bit.
melatonini have not used but read that it can be good in small does for WB2B if you struggle to get to sleep again. The contradiction here is that you are trying to go to sleep while staying awake at the same time so too much will put both parts of you mind to sleep. I will have a go with some soon. Hope this helps

Hi Peter,
This reply is a few days late but I'd like to express my input. I don't think its a good idea to use melatonin in the middle of the WBTB session. Its something you use at the very beginning when you're just first retiring for bed. If I'm not mistaken,the effect of melatonin,besides the obvious getting us to sleep,is it suppresses REM for the early duration of sleep resulting in REM rebound later in the night. By doing it in the middle of the WBTB session,that's effectively defeating the point since REM will be suppressed. If I'm wrong however,please let me know.

I believe a much more suitable supplement to use if you're struggling to go back to sleep in the middle of the WBTB process,would be a high-quality magnesium supplement. Although I don't really have trouble getting back to sleep doing WBTB,I plan to get some myself when I have the chance.

BTW I can confirm that melatonin(depending on the quality of the product you get)is effective at inducing REM rebound when used as its supposed to. Last night,I recalled 4 detailed bizarre dreams. I use Schiff Melatonin. (Believe it or not though,the reason I'm using the melatonin isn't for dreaming purposes but so that I could re-arrange my sleeping schedule to fit with my College schedule right now. The bizarre dreams are a nice bonus though :D )

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Aug 2017 09:19

hi, tend to agree. I dont have much trouble getting back to sleep and normally get up for a couple of hours very early in the morning so its great for WB2B and it all tends to fit in with my sleep patterns as well.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 13 Aug 2017 19:08

Mel and Melinda on a 5 horse timed power foot sleep paralysis walkathon

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”