Dream Machines

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.

Dream Machines

Postby Ebrahim.M.Siala » 18 Aug 2011 22:19

Hey All

This is Most likely my first or second forum post or even visiting a forum for anything besides my teen world of Warcraft days so let me see if i can still do this :D

I've seen really old videos on the Nova Dreamer on youtube but other than that to my best of knowledge it doesn't seem like people are really advertising Dream machines anymore, not considering the REM Dreamer of course. Even that doesn't seem to be well publicized.

I have done a little research on the REM Dreamer and was and am still very interested in buying it. Do you think I should wait for the Nova Dreamer 2, if the talks of it "soon to be release" are even true, or just go ahead and buy the REM Dreamer?

They say that eventually these machines lose their value since you learn to dream on your own once you get more experience. I guess I'm just in the debate of whether or not to buy it.

I would appreciate advice, links to effective dream machines or any discussion!

Thank you for your time (P.S this could be a dream)

Re: Dream Machines

Postby fineganswaker » 19 Aug 2011 01:18

Ebrahim.M.Siala wrote:I have done a little research on the REM Dreamer and was and am still very interested in buying it.

All I can say is CAVEAT EMPTOR on any of these dream machines. Here's an apt quote from another LD website:

Only buy a NovaDreamer if you have money to spend on anything or if you have problems LDing.

Last I saw, the old Novadreamer went for something like 700 clams too! Think of all the other stuff you could do with that money!

You know, LaBerge received a certain amount of flak--and possibly lost some credibility--for hawking this product. Check out the comments at this (older) LD website: http://www.ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9074

Snakeoil, indeed!

Beyond all this, I'd like to know more about where you're at with the LD process as a whole. Do you have frequent LDs or are you just starting out? Have you tried other techniques? Are these (much!) less expensive techniques not working for you?

Even more ranting: I think we have this tendency to believe that technology is going to solve all our problems. In some cases maybe it does. But even with something like the NovaDreamer2, I can't imagine that you could plug into it and start lucid dreaming without still doing the background work (dream journal, reality checks, learning your REM cycles--the list could go on and on).

--And think of how awful it would feel if you did shell out all that dough for one, and it just didn't work. I mean, I just do not see any ironclad, positive reviews anywhere online that guarantee these gadgets do what they claim to do.

Postby Ebrahim.M.Siala » 19 Aug 2011 08:21

Howdy Mr. Waker!

A consistent sleeping schedule is one that I am in desperate need of. My sleeping schedules vary from week to week but recently they have been pretty consistent thus allowing me to gain lucidity.

I became obsessed with Lucid dreaming the very second I even heard there was such a thing. I loved dreaming before I even heard of the whole concept. I use to lie into bed listening to brain wave's off random sites for hours thinking I could gain lucidity. Thank god I stumbled upon Stephens book and realized that the technique that worked best for me, besides realizing I was dreaming in a nightmare, was one body technique. Heard of it?

I'm pretty good at being aware of my surroundings, thoughts and senses. One thing that comes very difficult to me is my old house. Its a house that I grew up in which every dream seems to come back to or revolve around and for some odd reason Its been difficult if not impossible for me to notice im dreaming there. I was thinking that a dream device flashing red would help that.

Normally I can have at least one LD a week and thats only putting effort and not research into it. I agree with you that it could possibly not work for me but don't you think if i made a conscious effort it would work? 200 dollars is indeed crazy and certainly I am not a sugar daddy. I really want to get the machine to help me speed up the process.

If you don't mind me asking where are you in Lucid dreaming? How did you get started into it? What do you like to do in your dreams?

Much appreciation for your time and well thought out message

Postby fineganswaker » 19 Aug 2011 19:22

Well, two things. If you're lucid dreaming on an average of one per week consistently, you're well ahead of me; and if that's the case, then I just don't think you need to shell out the dough for one o' them there new-fangled dream contraptions. You're well on your way. Another question, however: how vivid and stable are your LDs? Are you able to prolong them for a fairly long period of time (I ask because this is something I'm working on right now).

I can sympathize about how you often dream of your house. I have a lot of dreams that just are very mundane. When I wake up and remember them (and journal them) I often think what dull dreams they are--how would I ever become lucid in such a dream?

On the other hand, you may have an advantage. Doing lots or reality checks (RCs) during the day while you're in your house just may carry over into your dreams. Our hostess, Rebecca, mentions somewhere out here that LDers have their reality checking switch stuck in the "On" position at all times. As a matter of fact, that's kind of the whole trick.

As far as the flashing lights that the dream machines provide, that sounds very plausible as a method for recognizing you're dreaming. But, as we all know, funny things can happen in dreams. In Finnegans Wake, James Joyce's novel about sleeping and dreaming, there's a tree branch that occasionally taps against a window pain. That tapping, however, gets transmogrified into all kinds of crazy, symbolic things for the sleeper!

I have Stephen's book, but I'm not familiar with the "one body" technique--but there are parts of the book I've only skimmed through. The value of LaBerge's book for me has been his discussions on REM cycles and the "Wake Back to Bed" (WBTB) method. I've yet to induce any LDs via the WILD method for example.

I've posted some stuff on myself and where I'm at in this whole LD process, but I would have to admit that I'm still more or less of a novice. I've had LDs off and on for as long as I can remember, but earlier this year I had a particularly vivid LD that really got me investigating into both techniques for inducing and stabilizing lucidity. But I continue to remind myself that I'm a slow learner, and I realize that getting good at LDing is going to take time--and a lot of practice and patience. It reminds me a lot of learning to play a musical instrument (I'm a jazz guitarist in my spare time, and--man--does that take practice and patience--and time!).

What do I like to do in LDs? Well, besides all the cool stuff like being able to fly around and such, I'm really more interested in "pushing the envelope", so to speak, of LDing in general. I've had a number of LDs where I've had very interesting interactions with dream characters (their seeming autonomy absolutely fascinates me--who the heck are these people!? :D ), others where I've been able to shift to other dream scenes, another where I had a cool false awakening. For me, it's all about experimentation; one of the next things I'd like to do is something that Robert Waggoner suggests in his book on LDing: asking the dreaming itself for something--or better yet, interacting with the dream itself.

By the way, Waggoner (who's been LDing for something like almost forty years!), says that these days he only has about six LDs per month. It varies, but that's his average. Maybe his point is that quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. What we should concentrate on is making the most of our experiences when we do lucid dream.

I've had lots and lots of adventures in my waking life through the years, so LDing for me is more of a way to get into some odd--and very interesting--philosophical hot water!

Cheers, and keep up all the good work!

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”