What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3642
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Mar 2013 00:16

There is no selfless good deed, my friend. If there was, you wouldn't feel the need to prove yourself to us.:-P

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 13 Mar 2013 00:32

Summerlander wrote:There is no selfless good deed, my friend.

Oh? Is that so?

So then why exactly are you trying to help that young child who has that rare disease?

I'd call that a selfless good deed, Summerlander. :)

Understand why you do that... and you'll have a greater understanding of what I speak about.
Last edited by Ryan on 13 Mar 2013 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3642
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Mar 2013 00:54

Understand what? Help me understand because so far it seems you are holding on to a concept, or a way of life, like it's a truism - but there is no substance to it and it lacks veracity in its effectiveness. It's faith-based really.

It's similar to the same gimmick that some pseudo-scientists use to convince the laymen: "mainstream science is the little picture", "they don't understand", there is a conspiracy to bury the truth", "they are ignorant", "you don't understand" etc. etc.

It's no different to a religion or a cult. One must not doubt the unquestionable truth, one does not require proof, only faith, and so on... It's metaphors, trickery and riddles upon riddles to mask it's real face: it's a poppycock fantasy.

Lowering the entropy? Physical and non-physical? Really? It's sounds like a replacement for heaven and earth if you ask me, and God would be "Love". Love is a product of brain chemistry. You can link it to neural activity involving oxytocin levels, pheromones and other endogenous substances. Oh, by the way, you can induce love with the capital "L" using exogenous substances too...such as amphetamines (though I wouldn't recommend it). :mrgreen:

There is only evidence of one physical world, Ryan. There is also evidence that everything we see around us is one big fluke, a product of evolution. There is no real meaning or purpose. Life evolved on Earth because it could - no different to bacteria thriving in warm places. It was natural.

Mental states are byproducts of electrochemical activity in your noggin. No more no less. Believing in non-physical worlds is like believing in Peter Pan's Neverland. They have equal probability of having a real existence.

Ryan wrote:
Summerlander wrote:There is no selfless good deed, my friend. If there was, you wouldn't feel the need to prove yourself to us.:-P

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Oh? Is that so?

So then why exactly are you trying to help that young child who has that rare disease?

I'd call that a selfless good deed, Summerlander. :)

Understand why you do that... and you'll have a greater understanding of what I speak about.


I'm helping the child because he is my best man's nephew and the parents are our best friends. Plus the fact that I would like it if people helped me if it was me in that situation. It also makes me feel good about myself. As you can see, I'm a slave to my feelings and urges. Selflessness is not present here in any way. I'm also helping because I can. There is always a motive, Ryan. ;)

For those who don't know, the child I'm helping is Connor Whipp and he has cancer (Neuroblastoma). Feel free to donate. I have Rebecca's permission to advertise it in her website. :)

http://www.justgiving.com/connor-whipp-appeal
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 13 Mar 2013 01:07

Whatever you say, Summerlander. :)

You continue to believe that. I, however, know the truth about you... that deep down, you have a selfless heart. <3

As for me, I'll just continue to be who I am. Faith and all.
"Faith", after all, isn't a dirty word. :)
Last edited by Ryan on 13 Mar 2013 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3642
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Mar 2013 01:12

If you are talking about the boy I wouldn't say "faith" is the right word. "Hope" is more realistic. You can only hope. ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 14 Mar 2013 02:04

Ryan wrote:This Phoenix Jones, who I do commend for his actions btw (assuming he does them from a position of caring for others and not just so he can bust skulls), can be just as spiritual as a Ghandi who chooses passive protesting instead. It's the Intent behind the action that is important, NOT the action itself.

Phoenix Jones doesn't drag people into the street and beat the stuff out off them. He ususally starts by asking them to stop, for example, when breaking up a fight. He will literally try to put himself in between the two aggressors. If he is attacked, he will respond defensively and use pepper spray if necessary. What Phoenix and the others do is a great thing. There's a link to an interview below, if you're interested that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8wvnrzoK_4
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3642
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 14 Mar 2013 12:20

We need more protectors like Jones. Anyone that takes action for a good cause is inspiring. I say look alive in the face of danger. Don't just stand there and let it all happen in the hope that the other party will see it your way. The bullies will be laughing at you if you do. Superman is still more popular than Gandhi. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 14 Mar 2013 14:10

Worldenterer1 wrote:Phoenix Jones doesn't drag people into the street and beat the stuff out off them. He ususally starts by asking them to stop, for example, when breaking up a fight. He will literally try to put himself in between the two aggressors. If he is attacked, he will respond defensively and use pepper spray if necessary. What Phoenix and the others do is a great thing. There's a link to an interview below, if you're interested that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8wvnrzoK_4

Awesome, thank you WE1 :)
I'll have to watch that later.

Summerlander wrote:Superman is still more popular than Gandhi. 8-)

Maybe... but at least Gandhi isn't a fictional fantasy character.
I think that says everything about your comparison.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Mar 2013 17:18

Summerlander wrote:There is only evidence of one physical world, Ryan. There is also evidence that everything we see around us is one big fluke, a product of evolution. There is no real meaning or purpose. Life evolved on Earth because it could - no different to bacteria thriving in warm places. It was natural.


Life can have meaning and purpose, but that's a choice each individual makes to find it. Some choose not to and that's O.K. as long as they are happy. I have chosen to search for meaning and purpose in my own life and have found it. Sorry, but I can't prove that scientifically.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 14 Mar 2013 18:02

lucidinthe sky wrote:Life can have meaning and purpose, but that's a choice each individual makes to find it. Some choose not to and that's O.K. as long as they are happy. I have chosen to search for meaning and purpose in my own life and have found it. Sorry, but I can't prove that scientifically.

Nor should you have to prove anything to anyone. As you said, this is an individual choice.
This is also why I don't harass people who make choices contrary to my own. I accept that they have the right to believe whatever it is, even if it's the flying spaghetti monster. Who am *I* to question someone else's beliefs?

I have found my own personal truths as to the reason for being. Not *THE* truth... *MY* truth. I happily share my truth with those who want to listen, but I'm under no obligation to prove my truths. And realistically, there's no way for that proof to exist.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest