Conscious afterlife...

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
LCDAnthony

Conscious afterlife...

Postby LCDAnthony » 25 Jun 2013 23:50

Do you guys (Theists & Atheists alike) ever believe in/thought about an afterlife where you are conscious? I'm not saying you're going to Heaven or Nirvana or of any place of that sort. Do you ever think that you might just really be a ghost?

I was watching a documentary about death. They were talking about the white light that people see and what it is. They were also talking about a man having an actual out-of-body-experience and how he actually saw his doctor perform surgery on him. One of the gestures the doctor was doing to keep from contaminating his hands was put his hands on his chest and point with his elbows to show what his assistants need to do. And the man saw that. He then asked when he woke up, why the Doctor was doing that. That made them go crazy on how he knew that! They said even if he was conscious, his eyes are taped shut, there are drapes in front of his head so he can't see.

So what are your thoughts exactly on "Life after death" or simply, conscious afterlife? :D

worldenterer

Re: Conscious afterlife...

Postby worldenterer » 26 Jun 2013 02:18

I think the afterlife is just a pipe dream invented to teach people to follow a preordained set of rules for fear of being punished after they die.

It has been proven that the human brain needs to be functioning to experience anything at all. This includes consciousness. When you look at neuro-degenerative disorders like Huntington's or Alzheimer's, you will see the absolute loss of a person's memory, or in the case of Huntington's, an absolute loss of intelligent self. These are disorders while the brain is still alive and functioning. If loss of memory or sense of self happens when a person is alive, a loss of all consciousness and sensation most likely waits after death. Just think back to what it felt like before you were born. Got that thought in your head? Well that's probably what being dead is like too! :D
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 26 Jun 2013 04:17

worldenterer wrote:I think the afterlife is just a pipe dream invented to teach people to follow a preordained set of rules for fear of being punished after they die.

#YOLO
It has been proven that the human brain needs to be functioning to experience anything at all. This includes consciousness. When you look at neuro-degenerative disorders like Huntington's or Alzheimer's, you will see the absolute loss of a person's memory, or in the case of Huntington's, an absolute loss of intelligent self. These are disorders while the brain is still alive and functioning. If loss of memory or sense of self happens when a person is alive, a loss of all consciousness and sensation most likely waits after death. Just think back to what it felt like before you were born. Got that thought in your head? Well that's probably what being dead is like too! :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 26 Jun 2013 04:46

I still believe there is some sort of conscious afterlife. I don't need science to tell me wrong. If I believe something, that's how it is (for me at least), but obviously isn't for you. That's ok though! That's why I asked the question! :D

I just always question, if we're conscious now, why can't we be conscious in the afterlife? My mind can't even process the thought of not being conscious, without any sensations. I don't know how it happens. I feel like there is more than just complete blackness. I feel like we have to do something because we're energy.

worldenterer wrote:I think the afterlife is just a pipe dream invented to teach people to follow a preordained set of rules for fear of being punished after they die.

That's a reasonable explanation, but would it be a rule for fear of being punished? What if it's just calm and relaxing without any rules?

So, In my opinion, science just can't explain everything..
Science is proving all sorts of things all the time. What if this is proven in the late, or even, near future? Would you change your thoughts on things such as this topic?

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 26 Jun 2013 04:57

I am an atheist, and don't believe in the afterlife. I would love for there to be a place where we could all go and live happy, but to me it just isnt logical. Afterlife, just like religion, was created by men. If men wrote this, they were alive, no? How would they or anyone even have an idea about afterlife? - Imagination. Of course, I would hope there to be, but it just seems like nonsense.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 26 Jun 2013 06:01

I guess. Your idea is another! Therefore I don't mind it! :)
I does make sense though. I just kind of believe in it.

I'm Christian, but not the one that has to make people be christian. Not a complainer. In-fact. I'm not a very active one. I just believe in it.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 27 Jun 2013 09:35

A drop of water from the tap to the sink is the time your life. I came across that saying in my early twenties. I thought what a waste, if that is all. My late wife and I started look for answers in the local library, (1957) The Fourth Way by P. D. Ouspensky a pupil of G. I. Gurdjieff made sense to us, as you had to believe nothing, but to prove it to yourself. I could prove to myself that I sleepwalk trough life. ( How to wake up is the hard part) I always had a good dream recall, but never knew you could become lucid, or practice OBE. Since early 2012 I practise and learn to do both, with for me, normal ups and downs.
Now to Conscious afterlife: 1997 I came across in that time my local library, (Loxton South Africa) Genesis and the Big Bang by G.L. Schroeder. For me I did take that we are made out of star dust, and are a particle of the universe. It means for me, my body (that drop of water) will die, but I live on.
Since I have become active in learning all about dreaming I have gone through the most popular authors, joined websites, and forums. The Secret oft the Soul by William Buhlman, and specially chapter nine, strengthens for me my belief. A few weeks ego I came across an article (12 pages) by Greg Frost, Secrets of the Subconscious. ( Mind SecretsExposed.com ) From my whole letter I strongly recommend to download and read this, it could if you are not dead yet show you why you are what you are, with advise how to alter your life. I am 81 and young enough to be curious and still learn. :)

PS: I was born in Berlin went 1952 to South Africa now living in Germany.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 27 Jun 2013 16:32

Wow! Thanks, there's a lot of good titles in there I might look for!
I think the bible and science contradict a lot, and people use that to put Christians to shame.
A lot of science can prove things wrong and right about the bible. Even I questions some of things myself...

But when it comes to afterlife, I simply can't grasp the idea of not having consciousness afterlife. I believe we are some sort of energy and we have consciousness afterlife. As far as Heaven goes.. who knows :)

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 28 Jun 2013 06:26

Death is defined as the end of life. So there is no such thing as life after death.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 28 Jun 2013 12:43

In your opinion, and of course the truth for you, but allow others to differ. I don't say you are wrong, I just have a different view, but it is not dogmatic. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”