How English should be spelled...

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
LCDAnthony

Re: How English should be spelled...

Postby LCDAnthony » 24 Jul 2013 06:54

I know! There could be different names for these things? So much confusion that even a native like ourselves have some trouble! It's maddening but that's what makes English... English!

Let's get started with those guys. I don't even know how they got the accent they do. How does an accent even raise? Where does the "American/Canadian" accent come from? Our ancestors were from the UK! How does it change? Did the french, Spanish and Native American accents change theirs? It's crazy thinking about it.

As far as Canadian "About", "House", and many others. Instead of "Ûbát", Canadians use "Ûbut"! And the letter Zed? I don't know where that changed for Americans... From zed to ze? WHO KNOWS!? I like the way Zed sounds though. Sounds color than zeEeeEEeee!

Which brings me to my next topic... the -ugh endings and -ght endings. WHY DID WE HAVE TO BORROW FROM THE FRENCH? Tho and Nite are just as good as Though and Night.

And have you noticed how we pronounce can and can't? The "T" seems to vanish! Not completely though.. it's like it get's stuck in our throats.

So much confusion. :lol:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Jul 2013 08:13

And some Brits say, HHHHHHWHENCE! Not Whence. They like to use that H! :lol:
Dialect is a very good scientific topic and I have seen shows about it. I forget which ones. But think about this:

China is a big country. I'll admit to me it sounds the same. But to them.... it's just as diverse as us English speakers. Depending on which part of China you are from. Not surprising.... it's huge. But dialect can be so subtle for some and so obvious to others. Some people have a hard time telling an Aussie, and a Kiwi and Brit apart. (If anyone thinks I'm using racial slang... hey I'm a Canuck and it's all good!) Commonwealth Rules!

I can tell the difference though, but I think it comes with experience and getting to know them from childhood. I grew up with all sorts and was blessed to live over seas in Hong Kong and went to an international school with all races.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 25 Jul 2013 05:43

Wow lucky. I'd love to go around the word and live with different cultures, languages, and ethnic groups. That's awesome.

Dialect is a very interesting subject. Look at Spanish. You can go from one country to another and there is a difference. Even in Central America, where countries are close. Though these are sometimes subtle differences, they're often noticed by natives. This also applies to China as you said.

It's crazy how things change all the time. It's even weirder looking back on the past. Look where English itself first started. Anglo-Saxon! This is why I love languages dearly. At the moment I'm learning Arabic. Very hard for a native English speaker.

HAGART wrote:And some Brits say, HHHHHHWHENCE! Not Whence. They like to use that H! :lol

Yeah! Where I live, Utah, I hear that all the time. Utahans pronounce things weird. Like, Measure is "Meesure" and they don't pronounce their t's. In reality, a lot of Americans/Canadians don't pronounce their t's.

Return to “Off-Topic”