If fictional characters aren't real why do we feel for them

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
AceOfSpades

If fictional characters aren't real why do we feel for them

Postby AceOfSpades » 08 Aug 2013 02:38

It's one thing to relate to a character. Spider-man for example was originally conceived to be based on the average ordinary guy with the same ups and downs of life as us, only to be topped off with having a certain responsibility that trumps everything else. In his case his powers.

However one thing I never quite understood until recently, was why we sympathize/empathize with characters like that, when they don't exist. My understanding of why ironically came from a quote from an episode of Justice League called "Legends" In it John Stewart AKA Green Lantern along with the rest of the league gets trapped in a world of his Favorite comic book "The Justice Guild" The Guild risked their existence in order for the League to get home safe and this line helped put it together for me.
GL: It's stupid really. Why should I feel like this? I mean, they weren't even real.
Hawkgirl: They gave their lives for us. That's real enough for me.

While it helped me understand why we feel for these character I was wondering if anyone else had any answers regarding the matter.

Vonozar

Re: If fictional characters aren't real why do we feel for t

Postby Vonozar » 09 Aug 2013 23:11

It's probably because they take on how real people are. They aren't real, but they seem to have emotions, thoughts and personalities of their own as real people do. With real people, we tend to feel for them. Well, the average person usually does. It's almost a natural thing to. So when something happens to these fictional characters we feel for them because they seem to have like characterisrics of an actual person. Those are my thoughts anyways. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “Off-Topic”