Religious Background

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
HAGART

Re: Religious Background

Postby HAGART » 26 Aug 2013 02:41

AceOfSpades wrote:I too believe in aliens and I'll tell you why. We live in a vast universe full of planets, some of which are able to sustain us as much as earth. There is no way in hell that we are alone in the universe.

Let's get deep.
Do the aliens, (and let's face it, we are aliens too in their eyes), do they dream and lucid dream too? What are their beliefs? I don't care what they are, but I am curious. It ties all of us self-aware creatures together. Then we need to delve deeper and question consciousness itself and whatever THAT means....

What are the Aliens' religions and how do they view lucid dreaming?

It's a hypothetical question to think about and there is no need to answer unless you want. We can only use our imagination. But keeping that in mind grounds us, and we realize just how similar we are no matter what our background or beliefs. We're all stuck on this planet as it hurls around through space, so let's make the best of it and I love talks like this.

It beats sports and celebrity gossip any day!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Howard

Postby Howard » 26 Aug 2013 22:42

AceOfSpades wrote:I am impressed at what I am seeing so far, but aside from just knowing your beliefs. I would like to know how your beliefs apply to the following subjects.

Lucid Dreaming
Astral Projection
Paranormal Activity

I wrote an in depth answer to your question and for some reason it did not post. So here we go again.

The only one of the three that interests me at all is how Astral Projection relates to the mastery of the dreaming body. For those of us who pursue this it all comes to having the energy to master dreaming. When you dream, you have a 'dream body'. those Ive studied under have learned to master this body and use it to achieve their purpose, absolute freedom. This is like the Astral body but perfected, so to speak. Im only interested in that which will help me on this particular path. No interest in others...no disrespect intended, its just that we only have so much energy...where do you choose to employ it. That's why I declined to be pulled into a fruitless discussion with the other individual.

As far as religion and the existence or non existence of any deity, Who cares!!!!!!!!! It makes absolutely no difference to me whether there is or is not a deity. All that matters is "How do I conduct myself in relation to myself and others." Do I act with kindness and compassion or not. That's all that counts.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 26 Aug 2013 23:18

Well if that's what you believe more power to you. One of the reasons I started this topic. I been noticing a lot of concepts that have been similar to one and other even in non religious beliefs like Atheism. Karma for example, Christanity calls it divine intervention and even scientists call it the classic quote "For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction." I wanted to know if anyone else noticed said connections.

Peter

Postby Peter » 27 Aug 2013 07:39

This is like the Astral body but perfected

there is a state and a point where you realize that even having an astral body ( I call it an energy body) in not even needed and there is a corresponding state to add to the experience at times. The use of a body is still too much like normal life and so it the projected world that goes with it so my 2 cents is to go deeper and get past the concept of a body.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Aug 2013 11:14

I was reading Hagart's post in reply to mine and he made me think of Spinoza and his pantheistic system. It was certainly more plausible than the biblical god imo. You guys heard of him?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Aug 2013 17:56

No I never heard of him, but just looked it up on Wikipedia, so now I know. Thanks for bringing it up.
I like to learn something new every day, and it's an interesting idea.
It also reminds me of another idea that great thinkers are considering: The possibility that this entire universe is a consciousness.

And I'll tie this into lucid dreaming and say, perhaps we are a lot like dream characters created by that consciousness.

Just an idea. A deep thought to consider.

worldenterer

Postby worldenterer » 27 Aug 2013 20:53

I was raised Christian but I'm an atheist now. More of an anti-theist really. I think the world would be better off without religion.
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Aug 2013 23:01

For Spinoza, what you see is what you get more or less. It's a respectable proposition and the he certainly put a lot of thought into it. I tend to resonate more with the explanations of mathematician Bertrand Russell. This guy became an atheist in his teens and his logic also arrived at the conclusion that there is neither free will nor an afterlife.

I also like David Hume's bundle theory which can also be applied to the self phenomenon. Do check him out. According to the theory, the self is nothing but an illusion. He influenced modern day philosopher Daniel Dennett who pretty much compares the self to a centre of gravity. As you all know, there is no such thing, but it is a necessary abstraction nonetheless.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Aug 2013 23:50

I have recently come to the conclusion that science and philosophy are spiritual in nature.
They just have a different approach tackling the 'big questions' in life, and don't use religious dogma.

Scientists and philosophers are very open minded and I prefer their approach.

Hume rings a bell and I have heard of him before. I'll look up all those names you provided and add some of my own: Richard Feynman. That guy resonates with me.
And for anyone who likes comedy, George Carlin is another spiritual guru in my mind. :lol:
Last edited by HAGART on 28 Aug 2013 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Aug 2013 02:25

Summerlander wrote:the self is nothing but an illusion

I have realized that too for myself through pure thought and logic and comparing who I am in waking life and who I am in a non-lucid dream.

'The Self' is a figment of our imagination and doesn't exist. It's just an idea or concept. Sometimes I don't have a sense of 'self' when I am non-lucid. Then other days I spontaneously awaken my ego-sense of self and that is the key difference between a non-lucid and a lucid dream. Once you have a sense of self identity and self awareness in a dream, you are lucid.

I am still puzzled, but it is something a lot of us lucid dreamers start to question and can't help it:
WHO AM I REALLY (if I can become someone else at the drop of a hat when I sleep sometimes)? AND WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED REALITY? (When dreams can be incredibly real too)

I don't have the answer, and I don't think religious scripture does either.

I like this talk and it is one of the best ones I've had on this site in while and I thank Ace of Spades for bringing it up and keeping us in line!

Return to “Off-Topic”