Nasa Physicist Tom Campbell on alternate realities

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
AceOfSpades

Re: Nasa Physicist Tom Campbell on alternate realities

Postby AceOfSpades » 21 Sep 2013 16:30

One of the reasons why I don't put all of my faith in science.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Sep 2013 21:29

Science is not about selling beliefs. Science is about study. To say that you have no faith in science is to say you have no faith in the study and exploration of reality - something which will bring you facts about the world (not the assumptions, weak hypotheses, or lies of pseudoscience which get quickly exposed and dismissed for the tripe that they are.)

Pharmaceutics is constantly being review and if you bothered to follow science papers you would know that the effectiveness of Prozac for depression is being questioned today. It doesn't seem to have the same effect that it did years ago. You see, science reviews itself and is humble enough to admit when it isn't dealing with certainties. It is not about holding on to dogmas or beliefs. It's in constant progress and follows evidence wherever it may lead.

Wake up. That's all. B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

mia

Postby mia » 21 Sep 2013 21:37

Blahblahblahblahblah
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Sep 2013 05:31

I didn't say I have NO faith in science. I merely said I don't put ALL my faith in science. Meaning to me, there are some things science can explain, but others that even the Top Minds like Hawking and Newton would scratch their heads over.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Sep 2013 09:25

Ace: Some things science can't explain...yet! There is a saying by Darwin regarding individuals who think science will never be able to answer certain questions...

Mia: Very mature.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Sep 2013 14:23

I would most definitely blow my brains out in a few days of living in a world where EVERYTHING is perfectly explained and set-in-stone lol. I mean think about it, that kind of life is no life. There would be not reason for deep pondering or debate. Every day would be the same thing, over and over and over. There would be no individuality, no uniqueness or genius. No imagination or creativity. A world without mystery and opacity is hell (at least to me). Does anyone else see my point?

Something else I thought to add: Humans are utterly incapable of satisfaction and contentment. Take children for example. You buy them the toy that they've been wanting for a week or so. In two hours tops, the magic and thrill of having that toy is gone. This idea carries on for everyone. Really, there's no point in trying in life haha. We can never be satisfied, there ALWAYS has to be more. More wealth, more knowledge, more, more, more.
I just don't see how we can ever get to the point where every single thing is explained. We'll either die trying to get there or destroy ourselves once we get there.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Sep 2013 20:47

We don't have the answers to everything and every scientist loves the challenge of a puzzle. But I have also met people who take great pride in explaining how lightning works. There is something comforting about knowing. We also like to be sure of things. Uncertainty is the enemy of confidence. It is true that the unknown can be beautiful but we can also fear it.

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 28 Sep 2013 18:09

Read the novella "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It's a fascinatingly dark little book about a future collectivist society that utterly loses all meaning of individuality. It's so depressing and horrifying.
Well said.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 28 Sep 2013 19:55

deschainXIX wrote:Read the novella "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It's a fascinatingly dark little book about a future collectivist society that utterly loses all meaning of individuality. It's so depressing and horrifying.

My highschool made me read that book sophomore year. I hated it and I didn't even read much of it but we did so much class discussion I had the book down. It's an interesting exaggerated form of communism written by someone who was oppressed by Comunism. It's a perfect exaggerated example of why the system just dosnt work, and we shouldn't use it anywhere in the world.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 28 Sep 2013 23:35

.......I wouldn't say it's communism
Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”