The Universe :O

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
btifuldreamer

The Universe :O

Postby btifuldreamer » 22 Sep 2013 13:12

I think i'm gonna be an astronomer when i'm older :D Well, i'm interested in space right now at least. I recently looked at the Hubble deep field thing which involves the most important image of all time. This made me remember how my dad told me that when you look into space, you are looking at the past because of how fast light travels. If you were to place a mirror on the moon and look at it, you will see about 2.5 seconds into the past. What i am wandering is if this is true, why don't they make a telescope to look at Earth from far away and see the past? What are your thoughts...

LucidLink

Re: The Universe :O

Postby LucidLink » 22 Sep 2013 13:48

It's a good and interesting idea! I don't think we are capable of building such a machine though. Or I believe we could build it, but we have no way of getting outside of our solar system even, so we couldn't keep a machine going that far away.

Have you heard of Project Looking Glass? It's a program the government started in the 70s to try to see the future.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 23 Sep 2013 01:40

LucidLink wrote:It's a good and interesting idea! I don't think we are capable of building such a machine though. Or I believe we could build it, but we have no way of getting outside of our solar system even, so we couldn't keep a machine going that far away.

Have you heard of Project Looking Glass? It's a program the government started in the 70s to try to see the future.

Yeah that's true, one of our telescopes only recently left the solar system. But I mean what if they send a telescope satellite thing out far enough then look back and hmm, in haven't heard of it. I'll look it up!

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Sep 2013 22:41

Everyone lives in the past. It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to live in the present. Here's why: It takes time for your senses to detect stimuli, sending the information to the brain, the brain to decode it and select the appropriate response. After all that is done, it is not the present anymore. We all live in the past. Just a little depressing fact for you!
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Sep 2013 02:26

Time is in the eye of the beholder.
Perception needs to be a factor in any equation.
Without that, Physics will hit a brick wall.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Sep 2013 02:34

deschainXIX wrote:Everyone lives in the past. It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to live in the present. Here's why: It takes time for your senses to detect stimuli, sending the information to the brain, the brain to decode it and select the appropriate response. After all that is done, it is not the present anymore. We all live in the past. Just a little depressing fact for you!

Think about this.
In a lucid dream, we sense information, but it comes from our own brains, wherever those subconscious axions and synapses are firing off. But there's a delay. It only travels at the speed of light. So even the slightest delay, billionths of a second, can make it seem like you are in a world you didn't create, but it was created billionths of a second before perceiving it consciously in the dream.... :o :ugeek:

And it doesn't matter the time frame of the delay. The fact that there is a delay at all makes all the difference.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 25 Sep 2013 23:54

Yes. Perception is everything. There is no "reality." We oneironauts understand that better than anyone.
Well said.

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 26 Sep 2013 11:01

Interesting job, me im interesting in the Universe.
Reality is just an illusion; E=mc2 the famous Einstein formula. Everything you touch is just energy.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 24+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Sep 2013 19:37

You would not be seeing the past in the way you are thinking, you would be seeing the present at a later date.
Ponder on that one :D

You have a lovely mind and keep puzzling and thinking away, and posting your thoughts
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Sep 2013 20:32

Physicists always speak of 'information'.
In other words everything is waves that carry information with the ability to be perceived or even decoded by a machine. (that's my layman's interpretation)
I know a bit about black holes too and all that, but I don't want to get too scientific.

The fact of the matter is, 'information' bounces off everything and exists everywhere at once whether detected with our brains or not, or any other device.

SO basically everything is perceivable everywhere at any time. (Provided electro-magnetic waves have reached it, and you have the ability to decode it and 'translate' it for our human perception).

A giant telescope the size of a planet is feasible and would be an a amazing breakthrough. Then point that back at Earth and see what happens.... It would be impossible to see dinosaurs because the telescope's travel through space would have to exceed the speed of light waves and then get put in place and then transmit radio waves ( or any other electro-magnetic wave) that travels at the speed of light too, so you can never see further back than when the original telescope was put in place.

I love this conceptual-ideas type science.
Thought experiments. Einstein was into that too!
And I read on this site that Tesla was a very imaginative person too and would dream, or envision, his experiments graphically in detail too.

Return to “Off-Topic”