HYPOTHETICALS

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

HYPOTHETICALS

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Oct 2013 02:40

We should start a difficult/interesting hypothetical questions topic. I love those! ^_^
I guess just answer whatever hypothetical you want (make sure you give an explanation!), but also try to think up one yourself and put it up.
I'll start off with one:

You're standing in a deserted field in the middle of nowhere (on a walk or whatever). Suddenly, a spacecraft smashes into the field a little ways from you. You sprint to the wreckage and see an alien climbing out of it. He is injured. He runs up to you and begins to speak (ruggedly enough) in English. He asks for your help. He says that your government does terrible things to his people, that you have to hide him. You hear police sirens approaching, but you know you have plenty of time to get the alien and yourself hidden.

What do you do? Are you loyal to your planet and people and turn the alien in (and possibly be rewarded ... or killed or locked away because you know too much)? Or do you take him and hide him from the government that was supposed to have been completely transparent about extraterrestrial life?
Well said.

HAGART

Re: HYPOTHETICALS

Postby HAGART » 06 Oct 2013 03:44

It's hard to imagine it happening in real life, so
I have to imagine that it was happening in a dream, and how would I react.
I would be on the side of the alien and view the 'authority figures' as the enemy and want to run. My immediate response would be to get away and help this other sentient being.

But after we get away and hide in a barn somewhere, I would need to ask some very important questions because I can't trust this stranger either.

(There is no right or wrong, but knowing how I behave to situations in dreams, that is what I would do... or WANT to do.)

In real life, I would probably crap my pants and run away, crying for my mommy! :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2013 07:04

I would lock him up, have a real good look at his ship and then go back and ask him some hard questions :lol:
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Oct 2013 14:27

I would hide him as well, but make sure to keep him at gunpoint at all times. The only reason I wouldn't turn him in is fear for the authorities making me "disappear."
At that point, I'd put videos and pictures and things all over the internet so that people know. Get it into the media.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Oct 2013 19:57

deschainXIX wrote:You're standing in a deserted field in the middle of nowhere (on a walk or whatever). Suddenly, a spacecraft smashes into the field a little ways from you. You sprint to the wreckage and see an alien climbing out of it.

At this point, I'd keep my reservations open about what crashed. It could be extraterrestrial in origin but it could also be part of a terrestrial experiment (possibly gone wrong or even including the crash as intentional) and ultra top secret. It could also be a hallucination.

I would certainly do a reality check to make sure I'm not dreaming. I'd also probably wonder if the heat, or whatever, was affecting my judgement. Or perhaps a drink I had prior to commencing the walk was spiked?

Whatever my state of mind at bearing witness to such an unusual and fantastical event, I would definitely be curious enough to check the wreckage. It could be objectively real and completely alien. After all, we exist among billions of galaxies in the visible universe...

deschainXIX wrote:He is injured. He runs up to you and begins to speak (ruggedly enough) in English. He asks for your help. He says that your government does terrible things to his people, that you have to hide him. You hear police sirens approaching, but you know you have plenty of time to get the alien and yourself hidden.

Well, this thing is alien and so there is no reason to suppose that what it is communicating is accurate. Perhaps the alien really means that the government is good and that we must take him to the authorities immediately. Apparently, the alien errs too, like a human, otherwise he would not have let his spacecraft crash. :mrgreen:

deschainXIX wrote:What do you do? Are you loyal to your planet and people and turn the alien in (and possibly be rewarded ... or killed or locked away because you know too much)? Or do you take him and hide him from the government that was supposed to have been completely transparent about extraterrestrial life?

There is an old saying: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." We were born and bred here. This is our home planet. It may not be the most hospitable place but it is where we live.

You don't know this alien from squat. You don't know what it's intentions are. It could be a galactic terrorist and perhaps the government had a good reason to shoot the spaceship down (if it did, well, they could have done).

I would also say to the alien: "Well, I heard from my people that you space foreigners have been abducting them against their will to conduct strange experiments. Who do I believe when many claim to have been implanted, maimed and even sexually abused aboard your ships? Which the government, by the way, your sworn enemy, denies!" (Not only do they deny the existence of alien visitors, they also deny their alleged crimes and trespassing.)

You'd have to be suspicious of the little green man...or grey! :)

I'd probably leave the scene and let the authorities take the little bugger. If he begged me for help, I'd probably say something along the lines of, "You are asking me to betray my own kind! What's in it for me?" :mrgreen:

Anyway, I once experienced sleep paralysis and was seemingly abducted by aliens (after having watched an episode of Steven Spielberg's "Taken" - so go figure!). Once you take a look at the sinister picture that my experience inspired me to draw, tell me you wouldn't dob the alien in:

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 07 Oct 2013 01:35

I hate the government and already doubt their intent with us, so if this all happend to me, I'd proably be very quick to help the alien without even thinking too much about it. Plus I'd be overly amazed with the whole situation happening to me, so I wouldn't waste time even really thinking about it.

Thinking about it now, helping the alien might not be the best idea though, but in the moment I'm pretty sure I'd do it. I liked summerlanders post, nice drawing!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Oct 2013 02:42

None of us trust the government.
I'm not surprised by that.
(This is just an observation of the answers about the hypothetical, but a telling, psychological question.)

Reminds me of another....
Last edited by HAGART on 07 Oct 2013 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Oct 2013 03:09

deschainXIX wrote:also try to think up one yourself and put it up

I have my own hypothetical which you encouraged.

"You're in a desert walking along in the sand when you look down and see a tortoise. You reach down and flip it over.The tortoise lays on it's back, belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help...............but you're not helping....."

You get extra points if you know what movie that is from!

(It's a question to evoke emotion).

On a side note, I've thought of using psychological questions like this to get in the minds of dream characters and really see what makes them tick. So far it has come back to bite me. They always know when something is up and when I am trying to be sneaky. (Which goes to show they are all incarnations of my own mind).

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2013 06:53

Try facing them off with silence until they speak first - might be interesting to let them start the talk and question you. If they are really from so far away why do we always seek their answers when we were smart enough to find them
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Oct 2013 14:13

I did that and even wrote about it a while back. I put my hand on a guys shoulder in a dream and simply said, "Why don't I let YOU talk". And he said, "Thank-you". Sarcastically, as if to say, It's about time! It is the best way to approach them.

I need to go through a phase and question these DC 'aliens' though. I think everyone needs to do that as part of growing up as a lucid dreamer. I'm starting to realize they really are just facets of me because I don't need to finish sentences and they know what I'm talking about because it's implied. (And it feels good because it's like talking to a close friend that knows you inside and out).

Sorry, I went ON-topic there for a moment. Now back to OFF-Topic!
Nobody get's any points for knowing what Movie that was quoted from......

Return to “Off-Topic”