Mouse Inception

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
RustyMinecart

Mouse Inception

Postby RustyMinecart » 10 Dec 2013 18:58

As I am aware, lots of people on this forum are fans of the movie Inception. In the movie, the characters try to successfully do Inception, adding a false memory to the mind. But this may be possible in real life. Scientists at MIT have successfully given a false memory to a mouse.

Working in the lab of Susumu Tonegawa, an investigator at MIT’s Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ramirez and his collaborators engineered brain cells in mice that make a light-sensitive protein when certain neurons are activated, enabling them to “find single memories at the level of brain cells and reactivate them,” Ramirez explains.

By tricking these cells to react to a pulse of light, “we were able to elicit the recall of the memory.” That was two years ago. In this latest paper, they took a neutral memory and turned it into a fearful one. (Fear is an easy emotion for scientists to identify, which makes it ideal for the study: When mice are afraid, they run to a corner and stay frozen in place.)

Mice were exposed to unique cages, each with its own smells, lighting and floor. As the mice checked out the surroundings in the first cage, certain neurons in their brains were activated, producing the light-sensitive protein. As they explored the second cage, scientists used light to switch on the neurons that were activated in the first cage, while shocking their feet. The mice then went back into the first cage—where nothing had shocked them—and were now afraid. They spent more than one-quarter of their time frozen.

Taken from http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/10/13/the-good-the-bad-and-the-fake/

Anyways I think it is an interesting thing. It could be used for good or malicious ways. I just hope the government doesn't start using it on us!
You Create Your Own Reality

Jumper22orange

Re: Mouse Inception

Postby Jumper22orange » 10 Dec 2013 19:26

I hope so :shock:

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Dec 2013 02:36

It is still not quite like Inception though. The scientists have not fallen asleep whilst attached to a device that enables them to hack the minds of mice in some shared lucid dream environment.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RustyMinecart

Postby RustyMinecart » 17 Dec 2013 22:53

Hmm, I know this is sorta off topic (But, hey we're in that section) I wonder what kind of dreams mice have or if they even have dreams at all..
You Create Your Own Reality

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Dec 2013 02:48

There is evidence that they do have dreams and that they are probably very much tied to what they experience while awake. I read about some experiment a while ago where their memories of a maze improved after they had been sleeping and apparently dreaming. If they had been dreaming, as the scientists strongly suspected, then it helped them to improve their memory and find their way around the maze quicker. It's like mice used dreaming to problem-solve.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”