TV Show "Awake"

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Arcadian

TV Show "Awake"

Postby Arcadian » 22 Apr 2012 05:30

Has anyone been watching the TV Show "Awake" that's been out for about a month or two? I've just started downloading and watching them and I'm hooked. It's basically about a detective who lives two lives. One while awake and one in his dreams while he's asleep. But he can't tell the difference between the two and doesn't know which one is reality. He lost his wife and son in a car wreck, but in each reality one of them is alive and the other dead.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AoSM4UzyX8

It's an interesting and creative concept the show has. I think lucid dreamers would like it. I do.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

Summerlander

Re: TV Show "Awake"

Postby Summerlander » 22 Apr 2012 17:54

Ooooo... that sounds interesting. I'm checking it out now! Thanks, man! 8-)
Last edited by Summerlander on 23 Apr 2012 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Apr 2012 20:12

I am in the US for a couple of weeks and will see if I can get to see this one
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 24 Apr 2012 04:28

I watched the pilot episode as I was really excited by the show's concept (reminded me of that Sandra Bullock move, Premonition). It didn't really grab me though, it isn't profound or anything and although I like the psychiatrist bits, there isn't much discussion of what is a dream / what is real. It's all too bland and normal for something that offers so much intrigue at the outset.

There was the suggestion of a potential twist at the end though (his boss) so I'll keep watching and see if it gets any deeper. At the moment though it seems like another American crime drama whose characters are all stereotyped and just take themselves too seriously, no? (PS Watch it for yourself, I can be a harsh critic.)

itooktheredpill

Postby itooktheredpill » 20 May 2012 14:04

I loved awake, and wanted to see where it was going. But the station canceled it! :evil:

antianticamper

Postby antianticamper » 20 May 2012 20:35

"Awake" has a creative premise but the execution is typical, shallow, network fare where each week is a stereotypical 45 minute plot with the standard crisis-action-resolution structure. I lost interest after two episodes.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » 22 May 2012 01:25

antianticamper wrote:"Awake" has a creative premise but the execution is typical, shallow, network fare where each week is a stereotypical 45 minute plot with the standard crisis-action-resolution structure. I lost interest after two episodes.

I agree it will probably seem typical as a tv show besides it's creative premise, but this is the only tv show I've been dedicated to since "Lost" came out years ago. Because of that, and because I'm easily entertained, I've really enjoyed this show. It just got cancelled and I will be sad to see it go, but excited to to see the last episode this week :)

I'm the same way with movies. Critics can give a film a horrible review, yet I"ll still enjoy it. I don't try to compare it to others I have seen and "judge" it as you all are doing. I just suspend my life and get completely wrapped into what I"m watching. It's much more enjoyable and you get the most out of it.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

Return to “Off-Topic”