Why is There Something Rather Than Nothing?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Poll ended at 21 Jun 2014 02:05

The universe naturally and inevitably came into being.
50%
God created the universe with us in mind.
No votes
The universe is the result of a pre-existent consciousness.
50%

Total votes: 6

Karin

Re: Why is There Something Rather Than Nothing?

Postby Karin » 25 Jul 2014 12:41

You know what just popped in my head: 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

That's the title of a book by Philip K. Dick, from which the movie Blade Runner was inspired. This is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE movie ever. Period. 8-)

Anyways, once we get artificial intelligence, will it lucid dream? :roll:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Jul 2014 13:30

Why do we dream of electric sheep? And why are there tears in rain? 8-) (I get that movie)

And "I've seen things you wouldn't believe".

Yet even those androids couldn't answer why there is something from nothing and existence was futile. (Sad isn't it, but so powerful.) If you get me started we will have to make a new topic for Blade Runner Fans!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Karin

Postby Karin » 25 Jul 2014 13:59

HAGART wrote:If you get me started we will have to make a new topic for Blade Runner Fans!

Maybe we should... There is something in this movie that is deeply soul-stirring, though it's difficult to put a finger on exactly what...

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 25 Jul 2014 22:54

I don't get your question Hagart. You could simply say because it wouldn't be a dream if it was nothing?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Jul 2014 00:54

I'm with you on that one ^^^ :-/

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jul 2014 02:02

What I mean is, without any sensory input, why don't we just black out into a timeless void space every night?

It's because our brains are generating something from nothing. That's what it does best. Just like filling in the gaps of our blind spots, our brains can't tolerate nothingness.

What is reality but just waves in a void of mostly nothingness. We created our 3D reality from those waves of information, added emotion, memory, and aspirations all with our minds, and we do it when both awake and asleep. The way we perceive reality is due to our minds. (This is only the tip of an iceberg and still doesn't answer why there is something from nothing!)

(Short clip about why we perceive 3 dimensions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceM_0yxSv-4&list=PLuz7RUvtFdHKi4BiJTyvCS1pFgBsfHlLI&index=9

I said I was going to sit back and let you guys mind wrestle with it, squirming and writhing, but I am the one mentally contorting! :mrgreen:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jul 2014 02:30

Then again, I took a nap this afternoon and the last thing I remember was thinking, "I wonder if and when I will sleep?". The next thing I remember was, "Now I am awake!" I really was in a timeless void space for two hours when I think about it. That goes against what I just finished saying!

IT'S SO HARD TO EXPLAIN WHY THERE IS SOMETHING RATHER THAN NOTHING!

It keeps going in circles, but I tried. :D

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 26 Jul 2014 08:54

Why not both. Why not have something, and nothing.

Nothing exists in its own "space", is independent from all matter, and is eternal.

I don't see why we would go from a waking state to a state of nothingness. Zoom in on the word we. The thing that is doing the dreaming, us, is a physical thing, its always apart of the relative space, matter etc. Why would it go to nothing?

As for why our dreams have context, I don't think all of them do. Some of our deep sleeps are just... well who knows its why its called deep sleep you aren't conscious of it. I still don't really get what you are asking.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » 26 Jul 2014 17:34

I think perhaps a better question would be "How is There Something Rather Than Nothing", because frankly, the answer to the why of this question, is because if there was nothing then, organisms intelligent to ponder on this very question could not exist. In an infinite universe scenario, may that be a multiverse theory, a Big Bounce theory, or other theories similar to them, a large number of them will not have anything. But eventually, if you wait long enough, one of them must come to have something (ie. matter, energy) and that (through the natural forces that govern the universe) would come to form intelligent beings with the ability to, ask the question. So basically, the weak anthropic principle could answer the why in -as far as I can see- every scenario.

So it may be that a better question, albeit a much more difficult one, is HOW there is something rather than nothing. :D

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 26 Jul 2014 23:31

Maybe there is no such thing as something, and everything is just theoretical.

Return to “Off-Topic”