Being a Well Liked Person

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Being a Well Liked Person

Postby deschainXIX » 22 May 2016 03:43

You're not really corrected, Summerlander. A girl who likes me for who I am is one in a million, probably. But I'm not going to change who I am for sexual purposes. :|
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 May 2016 10:22

My wife is one in 7 billion. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 09 Oct 2016 10:54

Thanks for the advice and replies guys. I wanted to reply to one of your comments, Summerlander, but i can't seem to copy quotes from the previous page.

I think I will just let my friend be, I've come to realize i don't really mind if he leaves my life. If he were a true friend he'd stay but oh well. Time will tell.

SunTzu wrote:Talking to strangers for a few minutes can be interesting....it is well known that gold lies hidden underground. I'll normally only talk to people my age (around 17) and only if they either look very interesting or are pretty girls. It sounds shallow, but it's really not. Otherwise, I would rather think, read or text rather than talk to strangers. Most people are like this, and I can't say I'm extroverted.
In the long run, being liked isn't about what you say to people, it's about what to do for them.

I'm the same i suppose; i work in retail and whenever i see a customer that may look uninteresting or unappealing to me or even way above my age, i immediately discard the thought of making conversation with them other than "Do you need help with anything?" To me it is a selfish thought but it's the thought that immediately pops into my head before i have the time to myself how rude i am being.

This brings another question to mind; what does it mean to be a narcissist and how can you tell if you are one? I read in an article once that "Narcissists find pleasure in engaging in new social groups (such as starting a new job with many new people), enjoy the new engagements and feelings of acceptance, however, over time this will fade as they realize they are not able to retain these new friendships due to a lack of emotional intelligence."
This spoke to me on a personal level because i realized that i am able to easily meet new people and be friendly to them although i'm not very good at retaining that new friendship. I can never really get close to people other than those that i am already close to. Can this be related to narcissism? I've always thought being narcissistic just means to be overly self-centered. Thank you.

Knife

Postby Knife » 09 Oct 2016 22:21

I'm not following the conversation, just read the original post.

I used to be the shy kid back in highschool. It got better towards the end, but I didn't start talking to strangers. Then I started working in a supermarket, and just learned small talk and shit. I still didn't start talking to people on my own tho. It's just something I slowly learned by going to shows on my own, since my friends don't share the same music genre as me. It was nerve wrecking in the beginning, but I'm used to it now. It's not even about meeting people, but in the end I usually do. The fact that I smoke probably helps too. People ask you for a cig or something. Also pretending you don't have a lighter and asking people all the time works. So does alcohol. I used to be a bit of a loner, so I started of doing stuff alone. Not limited to the shows, also visiting record stores and shit. Just get out there. I recently started college again and I was amazed at how easy I find talking to strangers now. If I don't see people I know at school I usually start talking to a group of people I recognize from classes.

It's all about stretching your comfort zone. There are no shortcuts to this shit. In the end you just need to take the leap. Good luck! 8-)
Inherit the earth

Return to “Off-Topic”