Jokes

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Jokes

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Jan 2015 01:38

I would have laughed at the glass one, but I had already heard it before. I thought the ignorance/apathy one was pretty witty and cool. I really enjoyed was guitar's, but only because the concept of outlaws intrigues me. People like jokes that mention things they like.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Mar 2015 21:33

I just thought of a good one:

The other day, I watched Godzilla. There was a lot of horrendous screeching as a hideous lizard threw a fit. Then my mother-in-law finally agreed on which one to watch, and we started the DVD.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 15 Mar 2015 01:24

It isn't that I don't get British jokes. I understand them, but I just can't find them funny. When I hear one I'm like "Aha.. I see. OK.".

:roll:
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Mar 2015 02:04

Desert Explorer wrote: ...British jokes...

I'm offended you don't like jokes from my homeland where we have the Queen on our money, police wear funny hats, and we speak in a strange accent.... you know... Canada! ----------------(read where I'm from)-------------> ;)

I wouldn't call them British. They're classic "bait and switch" jokes. (You think I was talking about one thing and meant another.)

I'm thinking the Godzilla one could use more, 'bait' before the 'switch'. That would build the story up so the unexpected punchline hits harder. I'll think about it. I over-think everything I create, including humour.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 15 Mar 2015 04:00

HAGART wrote:

I'm offended you don't like jokes from my homeland where we have the Queen on our money, police wear funny hats, and we speak in a strange accent.... you know... Canada! ----------------(read where I'm from)-------------> ;)

I wouldn't call them British. They're classic "bait and switch" jokes. (You think I was talking about one thing and meant another.)

I'm thinking the Godzilla one could use more, 'bait' before the 'switch'. That would build the story up so the unexpected punchline hits harder. I'll think about it. I over-think everything I create, including humour.

I didn't even read your post, Hagart.

I was talking about some others in the thread. I really dislike them, they are all so.. linear.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 15 Mar 2015 06:34

HAGART wrote:

Oh you're originally from Great Britain?
I'm half British myself. My dad's side of the family is from England. Though neither I or any of my american relatives have the accent except my Nana. She has a small accent.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Mar 2015 09:02

(FACE PALM)

My jokes aren't working today. There's nothing worse than having to explain why a joke is funny, so I won't.
I really hope someone chimes in and tells me they get it even if it's not funny, but at least understand what I was trying doing there.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 15 Mar 2015 12:12

HAGART wrote:(FACE PALM)

My jokes aren't working today. There's nothing worse than having to explain why a joke is funny, so I won't.
I really hope someone chimes in and tells me they get it even if it's not funny, but at least understand what I was trying doing there.

Helloooo!!!!..

It's just not funny, alright?

~David Gerrold

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 15 Mar 2015 17:36

I understood and thought it was funny. (No, Guitar, he's not originally from GB.) My only issue is that in-law jokes are a bit played-out these days. But it made me laugh! :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Mar 2015 18:36

After careful research on paraprosdokians from tvtrops.org, learning about "the rule of three", and knowing that in-law jokes are too generic, I crafted a better version that scientifically speaking should be humorous. :geek:

The other day, I turned on the TV to watch a Godzilla movie. I saw a larger-than-life character screeching incoherent sounds as news reporters gawked in horror, helpless to stop the rampage on America. After the Sarah Palin speech, the movie started.

Return to “Off-Topic”