The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
LucidityMaster

The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby LucidityMaster » 14 Sep 2014 08:36

Welcome to the Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread!

(Peter, if you are reading this, please note that it is only fair that there is an atheist/ anti-pseudoscience thread if there is a paranormal section. I am following PK Jacker's advice.)

Are you tired of agnostics, theists, and pseudoscientists (dream sharing and OBE believers), in my opinion, spreading misinformation?

Then this thread is for you!

Please feel free to share quotes, or stories about theists, agnostics and pseudoscientists.

Remember to be respectful, because in my opinion, they can get their feelings hurt easily.
Last edited by LucidityMaster on 16 Sep 2014 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

LucidityMaster

Re: The Atheist Thread

Postby LucidityMaster » 14 Sep 2014 09:04

Possible discussions:

Why dream interpretation is a pseudo science.

Why it is impossible to leave your physical body.

Why dream sharing is impossible,

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 14 Sep 2014 10:18

Sometimes I share dreams with strangers.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 14 Sep 2014 10:47

Sorry, but this thread is specifically for non-pseudo scientists.

If you want to talk about dream sharing, go to the paranormal section.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Sep 2014 11:42

I'm sorry if I make spelling mistakes here, guys. I'm a little hungover. It was my wife's birthday yesterday!

Okay. Let's get to the topic. Atheism! Yes, after much research I have landed in that position. In history, men like Epicurus, Omar Kayyam, Thomas Paine, Jefferson, Mark Twain, Darwin, Voltaire, Spinoza...they all took significant steps towards atheism (even if some were agnostic, deist, pantheist - it was venial for their time).

I think of them as anachronisms of reason. Today, I recommend that people read critiques on religion by Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Dan Dennett, AC Grayling, Victor Stenger and last, but certainly not least, the great anti-theist Christopher Hitchens.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 14 Sep 2014 13:45

Atheism means not believing in God. This is more than that. It is just plain materialism.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t
atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m] Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/materialism?s=t

materialism
[muh-teer-ee-uh-liz-uh m] Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.
the philosophical theory that regards matter and its motions as constituting the universe, and all phenomena, including those of mind, as due to material agencies.

Naturally, I do mean more the second definition.

It is interesting that so frequently people who believe in something beyond, above, higher than, or whatever tend to forget that they still have to figure out this regular world with all its rules and functions first. A scientific approach and reason still do apply and must be learned. The rational powers of the mind must be maintained and exercised rather than being allowed to decay in favor of entirely emotional and intuitive approaches.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Sep 2014 06:43

LucidityMaster wrote:Sorry, but this thread is specifically for non-pseudo scientists.

If you want to talk about dream sharing, go to the paranormal section.

But I was just last week when I was scientifically dreaming with other scientists.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Sep 2014 23:19

By the way, I just want to point out that one can believe in an afterlife, like a New Ager, or Spiritualist, and still be an atheist.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2014 00:02

Amen to that! :mrgreen:
(I like to ruffle a few feathers with my word choice at the atheist party. Atheists shouldn't be theophobic though, and should be above it)

When you sneeze and someone says God Bless You, it doesn't mean you're going to be damned to Heaven for all eternity!
That's my attempt at an atheist joke. ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LucidityMaster

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby LucidityMaster » 16 Sep 2014 22:44

Thanks Summerlander, for the insightful post.

To exclude everyone who is wrong, I renamed the thread: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread.

Return to “Off-Topic”