Video games!

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Jonathan

Video games!

Postby Jonathan » 03 Jun 2011 20:36

Gamers have been shown to be apt at controlling their dreams: http://www.livescience.com/6521-video-gamers-control-dreams-study-suggests.html

Any other gamers out there? What do you like to play?

I play World of Warcraft with my girlfriend and some other friends. Play around 5-10 hours a week. I've been playing for around 1.5 years. It's fun, but I'm thinking of letting my subscription expire and taking that time to play more Xbox 360 games instead. I like games like Assassin's Creed and Batman. Who doesn't like Batman?! :lol:

Seto_Blade

Re: Video games!

Postby Seto_Blade » 04 Jun 2011 23:17

Very cool find, Jonathan. Thanks for the share.

I must say, there were some parallels with my own experiences in the dream realm, although not every observation in that article suited my own experience. One section in particular I find often in my dreams, however:

"The gamers also frequently flipped between a first person view from within the body and a third person view of themselves from outside, except never with the calm detachment of a distant witness."

Pretty much every dream I have has these two qualities, where at a certain point I will see myself doing the actions and interacting, and at other points I will see it through my own eyes.

As for the video games, i'm an avid gamer myself, and have been since a very young age. Right now i'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 4 and Dead Rising 2, but sometimes I feel spur of the moment urges to play a game for an hour or so and put it away for a good couple months (Which just happened last night with Madden NFL '10 xD).

Never been too into WoW, although I don't really have the means to play it (I run on dial-up), I have tried it on occasion at my cousin's house. I must agree with you, though, Jon: Batman is a fantastic character :D

mark520

Postby mark520 » 11 Jun 2011 06:59

Real games are far more engaging for most people. But relative to normal study, entertainment is pretty superior.While games can build skills, entertainment can build skills more directly. Incentivize the use of entertainment by providing accreditation with their completion.You achieve the learning, you do so in a way that's more engaging, and you get a trackable and recognizable achievement.Imagine then if many more achievements and tasks were like this in our real world.To achieve this, we may need a something like a popular world wide site for the purpose of tracking a combination of traditional 'reality' and less traditional 'virtual' (or in this case, edutainment based) achievements.

Casale

Postby Casale » 13 Jun 2011 13:38

I find that too many games can take over the dreams. I generally don't do game stuff when I go lucid, because I can do much more fun things. I do a lot of sparring (fighting) which translates well into lucid dreaming. Except when I'm dreaming, I always win. And can do many moves from the matrix. In general it's better, but the energy sometimes wakes me up.

SKJ

Postby SKJ » 13 Jun 2011 21:27

I just dreamed that I played Black and White, even though I havn't played that game in 5 years. The game was better in reality:S

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 16 Jun 2011 03:59

Casale, one of my most vivid lucid dreams was a huge Matrix-like fight scene I had in the front yard of my old house. I can still remember bits of it like it was yesterday. It was great.

SKJ, man... Black and White. I remember that game. Seems like so long ago.

livie12

Postby livie12 » 20 Jun 2011 22:32

even tho im a girl, and at my school you WILL for sure get made fun of for playing video games. i still do!
im a gamer for sure.
i have a Wii, i like playing Mario games, mysteries and avatar. my friend has an Xbox, in which i just beat portal 1 on, and portal 2. and i hope to soon get one as well.
gaming rocks! :mrgreen:
Livie....:)

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 21 Jun 2011 05:02

Livie, I just borrowed Portal 1 from a friend a few weeks ago, though I haven't had time to play it yet. I'm looking forward to it though. :)

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 23 Jun 2011 20:20

Gamer here...Ive played just about everything, but moved into that alternate reality of hell called the job world and my video game time has cut down drastically... but i would say Lucid Dreaming beats any video game I have ever played!

I explained to my brother that I play World of Warcraft,(when I used to), and my spirit plays World of Earth... but that's another topic...

Funny that you did mention this though, last night I went into a 3-d game of League of Legends... that was fun..

and Black and White was epic for its time =)

I wonder if I can get into a Starcraft LD haha..

PS..if we figure out how to Group Lucid Dreaming...we will have to play Mario Kart..

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 23 Jun 2011 22:34

rdubya wrote:I explained to my brother that I play World of Warcraft,(when I used to), and my spirit plays World of Earth... but that's another topic...

:lol: :D

Return to “Off-Topic”