THE ALLY, IMAGINARY FRIENDS, TULPAS

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
jasmine2

THE ALLY, IMAGINARY FRIENDS, TULPAS

Postby jasmine2 » 25 Sep 2014 06:21

-- THE ALLY, IMAGINARY FRIENDS, TULPAS --

I think that anyone who feels curious about exploring some kind of practice related to "tulpas" (imaginary beings, said at times to be able to manifest in the real world), should first question one's basic motivation.
- "Is my curiosity based on a selfish desire for 'dark power' to gain control over other people?" (Very risky)
- "Or, am I searching for a wise inner guide to help me explore the deep realms of my consciousness, in order to gain insight and self-knowledge, and perhaps learn new ways to help other people?

Many books about non-lucid and lucid dreaming, and OBEs (Such as "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner), include good advice about how to relate to various dream world characters, some of whom may eventually appear as genuine, wise guides.

I don't really have a desire to ask some magic tulpa to manifest in the real world and tip toe through the tulips, but I am very interested in dream guides and in shamans' trance journey spirit guides.

Here are some interesting resources regarding tulpas, imaginary friends, inner guides, the ally, and the imaginal realm (qualitatively different from ordinary imagination). ---

- Wikipedia article - "Tulpa"

- Wikipedia - "Imaginary Friends"

- Interview - "290 Ally Work With Jungian Analyst Jeffrey Raff, Phd" - www.shrinkrapradio.com
Choose either "pod cast" or "transcript".
(ctrl + to enlarge text) (Windows)

- Book - "Ally Work: Meeting And Partnering With Your Spirit Gide In The Imaginal World"
by Jeffrey Raff
The author gets further into subtle imaginal world ally practices, which he only touches on in the above Shrink Rap Radio interview.
- Excerts - "The imaginal world ...(is) always present and always active."
- "By playing with your inner voice ... you (discover) the reality of the other and realize that you cannot live as if alone any longer."
- " ... the mirroring nature of the ally relationship ... transformation of each by the other"

- Book - "Jung On Active Imagination" by C.G. Jung and Joan Chodorow (editor)
- Excerts -
- "... a vision perceived by intense concentration on the background of consciousness"
- "...how 'the new thing' comes and develops - a strangely appropriate expression of the total personality"
- "One can only conclude that the unconscious tends to regard spirit and matter ... as actually identical."
- "The peculiar nature of unconsciousness, which can be regarded as a 'multiple consciousness'."

- Website - Robert Moss Blog - www.mossdreams.blogspot.com

- Wikipedia - "Seth Material"

- Article -- "Tulpas - The Latest Thinking About Thought Forms From Stanford"
- www.uncertaintist. wordpress.com
(ctrl + to enlarge text)

- Book - "When God Talks Back" by Tanya Marie Luhrmann

jasmine2

Re: THE ALLY, IMAGINARY FRIENDS, TULPAS

Postby jasmine2 » 27 Sep 2014 06:53

Oops, I forgot the "p" in "excerpt" in my above post.

I invite forum readers to respond to any of the following questions, or to just express your general feelings about the concept of working with a wise ally character in dreams, or in other non-ordinary consciousness practices.

(1) - In childhood, did you have imaginary friends? Did you feel that this was a positive, creative experience?

(2) - If you read any of Carlos Castaneda's books, do you think the author's accounts were totally fictional, or do you think Castaneda offered some valid and intriguing insights regarding working with a spirit ally and learning techniques for "lucid dreaming"?

(3) Have you ever encountered any wise, mysterious, perhaps numinous, beings (human, animal, or otherwise) in your dreams, OBEs, or other visionary experiences? Have you tried to develop a partnership with such figures?

(4) Can you suggest any good books or other resources regarding working with a spirit ally?

Here are some more quotes from 2 of the books I referenced in my 1st post. ---

>> From - "The Practice of Ally Work": Meeting And Partnering With Your Spirit Guide In The Imaginal World" by Jeffrey Raff --
> "All progress in ally work depends on developing the felt sense." (pg. 120)

> "Everyone experiences imaginal space (when dreaming) but learning to perceive this space while awake is not easy." (18)

>"As you pretend to be a figure, that figure often comes alive in your imagining - what starts out as pretense becomes compellingly real - using a part of our soul not often used ..." (72)

> "In time there are two centers of consciousness that speak with each other and exist together in one psyche." (60)

> "Ask the ally to give you an experience of light ... your intent is ... to experience (the light) as deeply as you are able." (100)

> - "The Philosopher's Stone ... corresponds to the creation of a permanent ongoing and transformative union between the ally and it's partner." (24)

>> From - "Lucid Dreaming : Gateway To The Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner --

> Curiously, some dream figures have a distinct interest in educating the lucid dreamer." (128)

> "Behind all of this psychological complexity, from the simplest thought form to the most aware dream figure, lies the synthesis of the composite: not the waking self, but the more comprehensive inner Self. Conscious in the dream state, we have the means to appreciate the distinct elements and vastness of the larger psyche."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Sep 2014 21:23

We've had a thread about tulpas:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3693

But I suppose there is room for expansion... ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 28 Sep 2014 01:56

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 14 Oct 2014 20:40

Here are some more interesting articles, YouTube videos, art, etc. related to animal spirit allies, which may be encountered during shamanic trance journeys, or in non-lucid and lucid dreams, or OBEs.

- (1) Article - "Reclaiming Our Animal Spirits" - by Robert Moss - www.beliefnet.com

- (2) Article - "Finding Your Animal Ally" - Joelle's Sacred Grove - www.joellessacredgrove.com
Practicing similar imaginary journeys may help to "call forth" the appearance of the ally in dreams.

- (3) Article - "Lucid Dreaming As Shamanic Technology" - by Ryan Hurd - www.dreamstudies.org

-(4) Google - Images for - "Huichol Indian yarn and beard paintings - (especially paintings by Jose Benitez Sanchez, the best known Huichol artist)
I am fascinated by these visionary paintings, with their magic animals, plants, and other characters, and the dynamic, sacred life energy streaming around and between the figures.

- (5) Article - "A Glossary of Huichol Symbols" - www.huicholcenter.org

- (6) Article - "Resurgence - Huichol Indian Art" -www.resurgence.org
Visionary artist Jose Benitez describes the meaning of the symbolic figures in his painting - "Our Elder Brother ... (Fawn of Our Father the Sun).
Many of the spiritual concepts are very refined and have parallels in other intuitive spiritual traditions.

- (7) YouTube - "Travelling With The Light-Sound Beings, paintings of the Hungarian Shaman Joska Soos"

- (8) Google - Images for -
- "Eskimo animal art"
- "Totem poles"
- "Raven rattles"
These rattles depict the shaman on his visionary trance journey, being carried on the back of his Raven spirit ally. Wisdom is flowing into the shaman's mouth from another of his allies, often a frog, who moves easily between the land (real world consciousness), and water (realm of imaginal, mythic-themed characters and process in the unconsciousness).

- (9) Wikipedia - "Shamanism"

- (10) Article - "Shamanism In The Celtic World" by Corby Ingold - www.druidy.com

- (11) YouTube "Shamanic Physics -Fred Alan Wolf"
Interview with Jeffrey Mishlow
Discussion about parallels between quantum physics, shamanism and lucid dreaming

- (12) Article - "10 of the Most Influential People In Shamanism Today" -www.shamanswell.org
Includes recommendations for books about shamanic practices.

- Best Wishes - jasmine2

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 23 Oct 2014 05:04

I would like to make another addition to my post - "The Ally, Imaginary Friends, Tulpas".
This includes one of my favorite portrayals of magic animals.

The following quotes are from the book "Flight Of The Wild Gander" by Joseph Campbell.

"Mythology and the rites through which its imagery is rendered open the mind ... not only to the social order, but also to the mystery dimension of being - of nature - which is within as well as without, and thereby finally at one with itself." ... "Nature is as deep and, finally, inscrutable as Being itself." (pg. 86)

Campbell describes a profound trance journey experienced by the Olga Lakota visionary and healer, Nicholas Black Elk (1863 - 1950), when he was nine years old and became severely ill and was thought to be near death. (Joseph Campbell references the book - "Black Elk Speaks" by John Neihardt, which records this vision over 25 pages.)

"The sick child in the tepee spiritually rose, following two spear men, and was carried by a little cloud to a landscape all of cloud, where everything was still."

(I think the following wonderfully poetic imagery of horses evokes the numinous "mystery dimension of being."

He saw a bay horse standing, who spoke to him, "Behold them!"

- "(To the West) Twelve black horses yonder ... their manes lightning, and thunder in their nostrils ...

- (To the North) Twelve white horses, their manes flowing like blizzard wind, and all about them white geese soaring ...

-(Eastward) Twelve sorrel horses, with eyes that glimmered like the daybreak star, and manes of morning light ...

-(South) Twelve buckskins, all with horns on their heads, and manes that lived and grew like trees and grasses ..."

"All forty-eight horses then stood in formation behind the bay" ... who neighed to the quarters ... "Whereupon the sky of each was terrible with a storm of plunging horses in all colors that shook the world, neighing back."

"See," said the bay, "how your horses all come dancing!"

As the vision proceeds, Black Elk perceives that his "nation's hoop was broken" (a premonition of the great hardships that would be caused by the intrusions of white settlers). He sees a Holy Tree. Then he feels himself to be at the center of the world (metaphorically represented as Harney Peak in the Black Hills).
"But anywhere is the center of the world."

After more visionary events, The Six Grandfathers in the cloud tepee welcome him with voices like thunder, "He has triumphed!"

"The tepee rocked and faded: the face of the day of earth was appearing. The sun leaped up and sang as it rose" - "With visible face, I am appearing. In a sacred manner I appear..."

The boy awoke in his own family's tepee, healed and empowered.
(pg. 88-91)

- Best wishes - jasmine2

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 20 Nov 2014 01:12

jasmine2 wrote:
I invite forum readers to respond to any of the following questions, or to just express your general feelings about the concept of working with a wise ally character in dreams, or in other non-ordinary consciousness practices.

(1) - In childhood, did you have imaginary friends? Did you feel that this was a positive, creative experience?

(2) - If you read any of Carlos Castaneda's books, do you think the author's accounts were totally fictional, or do you think Castaneda offered some valid and intriguing insights regarding working with a spirit ally and learning techniques for "lucid dreaming"?

(3) Have you ever encountered any wise, mysterious, perhaps numinous, beings (human, animal, or otherwise) in your dreams, OBEs, or other visionary experiences? Have you tried to develop a partnership with such figures?

(4) Can you suggest any good books or other resources regarding working with a spirit ally?

Q1 Yes, imaginary friends list: the Trinity; the Virgin Mary; Saint Francis of Assisi; Saint Jude; Oden. Was it a positive creative experience? Yes.

Q2 Carlos Castaneda was a fraud; but an excellent writer and also based his fraud around the real experiences of someone else, so his works may contain something of value.

Q3
Have you ever encountered any wise, mysterious, perhaps numinous, beings (human, animal, or otherwise) in your dreams, OBEs, or other visionary experiences? Have you tried to develop a partnership with such figures?

Yes, Oden god of death, deception and magic and no partnership.
Q4 no.

> - "The Philosopher's Stone ... corresponds to the creation of a permanent ongoing and transformative union between the ally and it's partner." (24)

No, it does not, neither in internal alchemy nor in external alchemy.

I thought you deserved a reply Jasmine 2, strange that no one else gave you one.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 20 Nov 2014 04:14

I think "The Philosopher's Stone" may be one of the most intriguing metaphorical images in the literature of mythological, psychological, spiritual exploration of the inner world.

Some writers imply that this "Stone" posses a sort of Zen koan-like quality. It unites all opposites. It is said to be mercurial and difficult to capture or define. It can manifest in numerous forms, which on the surface, may seem to be contradictory, however, a deep, intuitive, mysterious essence connects all of its many aspects.

I invite Snaggle, or any other forum readers to reply with your impression of what "The Philosopher's Stone" means.

jasmine2

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Dec 2014 13:53

I guess people dont read posts in the off topic section much, I dont usually, (I guess that is why hardly no one responded). Im glad I looked in that area for once and saw this thread.

jasmine2 wrote:(1) - In childhood, did you have imaginary friends? Did you feel that this was a positive, creative experience?

I actually cant remember having imaginary friends in childhood. I do thou have a weird experience I remember when I was 4 or 5 years old in which some may say imaginary friend or teacher.. I think it was real thou.

All I know about his books is that if it wasnt him who experienced the things, he certainly really knew what he was talking about. He has occultic knowledge also hidden within his books that will not be noticed by someone who doesnt already have certain knowledge. It makes me think at least many of his experiences must of be real. The type of knowledge he has, isnt usually known by people not experiencing stuff or who doesnt have an exceptional advanced teacher.

Ive had some of the same kind of experiences in his books and the way he talks about them, I believe he has experienced.

Ive experienced Jesus and other masters at times (but only on rare occassions, Im not actually Christain so its interesting to me I have had those Jesus experiences). I once found myself sitting under a tree with him giving me and some others spiritual teachings. No I havent managed to form under kind of partnership with ones Ive met in dreams or OBEs thou I'd love to do that.

Ive had a few visionary experiences.

you could try the exercises in the book "Opening to Channel" How to connect with your spirit Guide. Authored by Sanaya Roman and Duane Packer.

I had an experience so intense using that book and doing its exercises, that I stopped doing it. I was taping myself trying to channel and it was like I entered into a time warp when I listened back to the tape (my backgroup music warped so very slow that it became individual notes while the voice talking from me was at normal speed, listening back to it really creeped me out). I also had a male voice come out of my mouth and talk (I also cooked during this experience, stopped as I thought I was going to spontaously combust.. it all got a bit scary).

I have also had tulpas and some interesting experiences with them eg they can play music in my head, so clear as if Im listening to radio and they can be playing songs I believe Ive never heard before.

I never thou got close enough to my tulpas to call them imaginary friends thou, thou did a some experiences with them (one which scared me).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Off-Topic”