Is there an afterlife?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
nesgirl

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby nesgirl » 28 Feb 2015 00:51

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 28 Feb 2015 01:18

I insist that Buddhism is not a religion. Anyway, the only thing I found is that no Buddhist believes in reincarnation. Only those who practice Hinduism believe in the concept of the soul and immortality of it, while the others in rebirth, which they explain differently.

About what you said in the previous post; Of course it's all generated by your head, but that does not make it fake or true. Just a creation.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Feb 2015 04:18

Well, I found my new religion.
I'm going to become a Quir.
It makes as much sense as all the others.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 28 Feb 2015 04:22

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Feb 2015 04:31

A morning constitutional can become a morning confessional.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Feb 2015 10:10

Where's my link, Desert? :mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 28 Feb 2015 13:46

http://www.sokahumanism.com/nichiren-buddhism/Differences_between_Rebirth_and_Reincarnation.html

I believe that they describe the difference pretty well here.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Mar 2015 01:46

Thanks. But that only proves my point that Buddhism is a religion. It propounds different kinds of hereafter based on karmic debt. Rebirths in other realms beyond our own, eh? Supernatural experiences in hellish and heavenly planes of existence. The Nichiren doctrine, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism, claims to know -- without evidence -- that we are more than our physical bodies and this life is not the only one for most of us. You do know the meaning of religion, right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 01 Mar 2015 03:05

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 01 Mar 2015 09:44

Buddha never claimed to be a God or believe in any, neither a prophet or someone worth worshiping. Now, if so many others corrupted the teachings he provided which can turn a philosophy to a religion very easily, this is not his fault. If you can follow his way of life, I really think you won't go blind for sure. To pay attention and endorse whatever he believes about God is not necessary. It's personal anyway. When he's been asked about God, he didn't answer anything. So, it's the way to behave he taught that matters and nothing else. I think you know what I mean. Filtering what ever gets in a way of your logical mind does not mean you cannot follow. It's effective and smart. I like it. I feel agnostic in the subject of the after-life anyway and that is the good old "shield" to go in there and take what you want. You will gain something eventually, I guess.

~David Gerrold

Return to “Off-Topic”