Lucid Dreaming and Religion

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 14 Aug 2017 19:11

RedKryptonite wrote:Yeah,the world would indeed be a better place if people thought more about improving everyone's coexistence. I have to disagree with your comment about kids though. I used to get bullied mercilessly in school just because I was an introvert. I had to engage in several fist fights to protect myself. (Bullies often have no regard for their victim's well-being,but they do respect a heavy-hitter with the will to fight back.)
The whole "Violence is never the answer" bullshit was largely responsible for why I spent a large chunk of my childhood miserable until I finally stopped caring and fought back.

My life after I graduated high school has been the happiest stage of my life so far,although I'm not saying my life is perfect now. (Not even close)

The point though is,bad kids can be just as cruel as bad adults. Maybe you're experience is different.


What I meant was that teen kids in a group seem to have much more loyalty towards each other than adult friends seem. There are exceptions though. I have no friends either. I am an introvert too. I have been bullied many times too. But it happens verbally mostly and sometimes physically. Although I must say, I did fight back but most of it was flailing around angrily. :lol: But now, I can handle most people. Also, essentially I kind of learned to blend in. Most people in my class don't even notice me unless I go talk to them first. So I avoided most problems. Also, yes I am not a fan of nonviolence either. Violence is necessary in some cases. Its happens everywhere. Even between the peaceful countries ideological warfare still continues. There is no complete peace in this world. True peace can only be found in our mind.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 134
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby RedKryptonite » 15 Aug 2017 03:52

LoneDreamer wrote:What I meant was that teen kids in a group seem to have much more loyalty towards each other than adult friends seem. There are exceptions though. I have no friends either. I am an introvert too. I have been bullied many times too. But it happens verbally mostly and sometimes physically. Although I must say, I did fight back but most of it was flailing around angrily. :lol: But now, I can handle most people. Also, essentially I kind of learned to blend in. Most people in my class don't even notice me unless I go talk to them first. So I avoided most problems. Also, yes I am not a fan of nonviolence either. Violence is necessary in some cases. Its happens everywhere. Even between the peaceful countries ideological warfare still continues. There is no complete peace in this world. True peace can only be found in our mind.

We're the same. I now at least have the basic social skills not to attract negative attention to myself. I can make new friends in my personal life if I want to,but I just don't feel the need to do it as of the moment,and honestly I like the peace and quiet of being an introvert. There's the internet and forums such as this one if I feel the need to socialize :lol:

As Rory Miller(one of the best self-defense instructors on the planet)says;
"The only defense against evil violent people is good people who are more skilled at violence" 8-)

I hope you enjoy your stay here and good luck with your LD goals :)

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 15 Aug 2017 05:06

Now, I know more than blending in. I know how to manipulate people to a good extent. :twisted: I must say I still have trouble making friends. But I can make some friends by manipulation. But that won't be true friends. So I refrain from it. And yes the peace and quiet of being introvert is really good. It gives me time to think about life and other stuffs. And yes I'm still trying to get my first LD. Also, you seem like an anime guy. I watch anime too. ;)

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 15 Aug 2017 05:36

Summerlander wrote: Hence, a healthy dose of scepticism, which leads to de facto atheism, is the logical route. Atheism is not dogmatic. I am quite prepared to undergo a paradigm shift should somebody prove to me that there is a god. Until then, my attitude towards such proposition remains the same as how I take the alleged existence of fairies: They are nowhere to be found ergo I see no reason to believe or to even entertain such notions.

But I must say I agree with Rodney stark. I don't see atheism becoming the norm anytime soon. The world is more religious than we think. I don't know completely about the west but Christians and Muslims in India and east are really religious. Most atheists in India are Hindus. But even then their kids most likely are easy to manipulate and are converted to Christians or Muslims since they are not taught anything about religions. Even many of the popular political atheists of India secretly believe in gods. Also, we can see Christianity rising in China. And Islam is the one growing fastest. By ideological warfare between countries I meant this religious conversion and manipulation of people. I can clearly say that many of this is foreign funded. I must say this rise in religion, that is worrying.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 134
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby RedKryptonite » 15 Aug 2017 11:22

LoneDreamer wrote:Now, I know more than blending in. I know how to manipulate people to a good extent. :twisted: I must say I still have trouble making friends. But I can make some friends by manipulation. But that won't be true friends. So I refrain from it. And yes the peace and quiet of being introvert is really good. It gives me time to think about life and other stuffs. And yes I'm still trying to get my first LD. Also, you seem like an anime guy. I watch anime too. ;)

Its funny you mention manipulation. One of the books I have is "How to win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Its a really popular book and one of the most often recommended ones. I've heard from various people that its actually pretty manipulative,in fact,I believe Charles Manson managed to build his cult using Carnegie's teachings (although he did more than just read the book,he actually attended Carnegie's seminars)

its a decent social skills book nonetheless,but I can't really bring myself to seriously read it in full however,although I did read a summary of it and right now just read a critique of it about how its a good book but its far from the "Ultimate guide" that many people think it is.
Right now,I just got myself "The Social Skills Guidebook" by Chris MacLeod,which is as far as I know,will teach you social skills without pretending to be someone you're not. I'm a lot more interested in reading this than Carnegie's book,since I've read Macleod's website and the free information there was definitely good so I'm expecting this will be a quality read. :)

Yeah,I'm an anime lover. A major part of the reason I wanted to learn lucid dreaming is to find myself in the world of my favorite fictions and interact with the characters. I pulled it off once as I shared in the Lucid dream section,but I'm taking up the practice again so I could do that again.

LoneDreamer wrote:I don't see atheism becoming the norm anytime soon. The world is more religious than we think.

Hopefully it won't be too long before Atheism becomes more accepted among the population,just like how Gay people eventually became more accepted. But yeah,Atheism isn't going to become the norm anytime soon. Primarily because people fear the cessation of existence after death. (and because families/parents brainwash their children into their religion making open-mindedness very difficult,but I've already ranted about this so I'll leave it alone)

By no means am I saying that this isn't a legitimate concern. Its normal to fear the idea that we simply won't exist anymore after death. Blinding ourselves with false belief however is not the way to go about it.(and in fact,this will impede the quality of your limited life)
Our best bet,besides enjoying life to the fullest and avoiding bad decisions,is to take care of ourselves and our health to prolong our lifespan and hopefully new research/technology will allow even further longevity (not to mention,improve the quality of life for the old.)

Even if Atheism never becomes the norm,I do indeed hope society's acceptance of them will greatly improve with time.

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 15 Aug 2017 16:07

RedKryptonite wrote:Yeah,I'm an anime lover. A major part of the reason I wanted to learn lucid dreaming is to find myself in the world of my favorite fictions and interact with the characters. I pulled it off once as I shared in the Lucid dream section,but I'm taking up the practice again so I could do that again.

I also have that intention. What was your routine practice when you had your first lucid dreams. I'm having trouble having my 1st lucid dream.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 134
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby RedKryptonite » 15 Aug 2017 22:21

LoneDreamer wrote:
RedKryptonite wrote:Yeah,I'm an anime lover. A major part of the reason I wanted to learn lucid dreaming is to find myself in the world of my favorite fictions and interact with the characters. I pulled it off once as I shared in the Lucid dream section,but I'm taking up the practice again so I could do that again.

I also have that intention. What was your routine practice when you had your first lucid dreams. I'm having trouble having my 1st lucid dream.

I achieved my first lucid dream via WBTB. (and its been my bread and butter technique throughout my LD journey,although I have now made adjustments to it and combined it with MILD to make it even more effective for me)

My routine as of today is:
- Wake myself via alarm after 4 or 5 hours of sleep. (this would be in the middle of the night)
- Once I'm up,I go to the bathroom and wash my face(with soap,though its not really needed)to bring myself to full alertness.
- Spend time on the Computer,doing whatever I want there. either surfing the web,playing video games,reading about LD,etc.
- After 1-3 hours of awake activity(2 hours is my most common time but I plan to experiment with 30 minutes later on),I go back to bed.
- I do the MILD technique,repeating a mantra(i.e I will recognize I am dreaming,I will wake up to a lucid dream,etc.) to myself for as long as I can until I fall asleep. (this isn't super crucial though. I'd recommend experimenting just doing the first 4 steps if you find doing this 5th step too much trouble. you can always add this in once you're more experienced and have become more passionate. I achieved my first LD using just WBTB alone)

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 16 Aug 2017 14:30

Summerlander wrote:Hence, a healthy dose of scepticism, which leads to de facto atheism, is the logical route. Atheism is not dogmatic. I am quite prepared to undergo a paradigm shift should somebody prove to me that there is a god. Until then, my attitude towards such proposition remains the same as how I take the alleged existence of fairies: They are nowhere to be found ergo I see no reason to believe or to even entertain such notions.


Didn't Buddhism say about reincarnations. Do you believe reincarnation? I have heard that a guy named Ian Stevenson wrote about it. He took other people's experience. Here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson#Works .
What do you think about it? :geek:

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4174
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby Summerlander » 16 Aug 2017 15:18

Only some factions of Buddhism support reincarnation and have nothing to show for it. Stevenson was reportedly gullible and believed in his hypothesis so much that he was under the influence of confirmation bias. None of his research proves reincarnation.

Remember that the Society for Psychical Research was taken for a ride---by a couple of imaginative children and their mendacious mother from Enfield, England---and subsequently criticised by the scientific community for their premature credulity. The alleged poltergeist activity was a hoax.

What do you think about Brian Cox stating that the Large Hadron Collider proves that ghosts don't exist? :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Religion

Postby LoneDreamer » 16 Aug 2017 15:34

If there's no reincarnation what's the point of achieving nirvana or enlightenment. :| If we have one life then shouldn't we enjoy it rather than trying to get enlightened. :mrgreen: Also what do you say about my other posts regarding religion and morality?


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests