The Shocking Truth

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: The Shocking Truth

Postby Summerlander » 03 Apr 2017 22:14

I've never taken acid so I wouldn't know. I've done magic mushrooms and salvia divinorum so perhaps I have an idea. :mrgreen:

I would like to share a link here:
https://youtu.be/IZefk4gzQt4

Professor Daniel Dennett spends the first few minutes of this Google seminar talking about the tree of life, the exorbitant evolutionary expenditure and anthropic design. 'Evolution may be slow and costly, but it is brilliant,' he says after pointing out that 99% of all the living organisms that have ever existed died 'childless'. He also makes a striking comparison between Gaudi's architecture and a termite castle---noting that the former comes about through 'top-down' intelligent design whilst the latter emerges from 'bottom-up' mindless building. (But a colony of clueless termites does not differ from a conglomerate of mindless neurons as much as we might intuitively think!)

Dennett also touches upon the irony conveyed by Darwin's and Turing's 'strange inversions of reasoning'. (You can get great designs in nature out of complete natural ignorance and a computer can be efficient without knowing how to do arithmetic.) In other words, competence can emerge without comprehension and mind (consciousness, understanding) is the effect, not the cause. Our intuitions, it seems, have been mistaken all along. The professor describes to us how a termite-colony brain can produce a Bach-like mind ... :-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Apr 2017 23:14

Another interesting debate---'The Hereafter'---which somewhat pertains to this topic:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18832
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 18 Apr 2017 15:15

I am reading this thread and it complicates the reality of life. There a really simple explanation to life and this particular lucid dreaming aspect. But, hell, you gotta be shown to know; otherwise, it's just water cooler talk.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Apr 2017 00:35

In what way do you feel it complicates the reality of life? Can you be more specific? I'm open to criticism and counterarguments ... 8-)

Here's another shocking truth which is backed by evidence:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19464

Do yourself and favour and do your homework ... :mrgreen:

And to those who confuse OBEs/astral projection/lucid dreams, read this:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19196

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 07 Jun 2017 11:53

Gotta love Summer.. :D
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jun 2017 12:58

I love it. :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2017 22:41

I found a t-shirt on Facebook which definitely resonates with me. It says:

'Existentialist: (adj. & n.)
Optimistic nihilist
"Just because we're all doomed,
doesn't mean we can't have a good time."
~anonymous existentialist'

In fact, besides all the fun we can have whilst existing, our demise need not be defined as some kind of doom if we accept the way things are. We are not separate from a world that, as Heraclitus pointed out, is in perpetual flux. And mindfulness can help us reach a kind of henosis where boundaries cease to perceptually exist. (We are merely parts of the whole.)

By no means am I subcribing to Leibniz's system of monads, much less the process towards deification believed in Eastern Orthodox Christian circles when I mention 'henosis'. Henosis is more about the tabula rasa that we can all achieve through meditation as pointed out by Plotinus---a state which is so prevalently mentioned in Buddhism which entails anatta (the non-self state).

Henosis is a term which, in this context, is less about pantheism and more about what is neurophysiologically permissable as a means to get the most out of life with less despondence and more joy.

I'd love to wear that t-shirt! 8-)

- Padmasambhava

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 16 Jun 2017 03:12

I don't think hedonism would be too horrible. However, I feel like the ego inflation would probably be it's worst aspect. So maybe utilitarian hedonism?
Good luck,
Dream on.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Jun 2017 11:34

That's why I tend to recommend a mixture of the useful aspects of Epicureanism and Buddhism---both purely as instructive philosophies. The latter encourages you to derive pleasure from life given the opportunity and the latter advises you to remain unattached and cultivate equanimity when things don't go your way. Seems to me a healthy balance especially when it promotes everyone's wellbeing. I guess you could call that utilitarian hedonism. Beware of ego inflation for sure ... it is certainly problematic. :|

- Padmasambhava

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 05 Aug 2017 04:19

Nothing wrong with cherry picking the nicest parts of all the beliefs.
Whether or not we believe that we are the prime, most important thing in the universe with the biggest ego or we are aware we are nothing, product of chaos and nature's natural tendency towards consumption of power and simply along for the ride, does it matter? The way you think or feel is completely irrelevant to reality; it all ends the same!

What is your opinion on the ego? Beneficial to humanity as a whole, or only the human possessing it? Can you truly be "enlightened" if you have an ego? Maybe it's a tad egotistical for people to run around saying they're enlightened. :lol:

Summerlander, you've talked of your experience with psilocybin mushrooms. Did you experience any form of ego death or ego loss? I've always wondered if this is complete dissociation from the ego, or simply just intense psychosis brought on by the shrooms.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Return to “Off-Topic”