The Shocking Truth

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: The Shocking Truth

Postby Summerlander » 17 Jan 2017 10:36

The philosopher Derek Parfit---who was mentioned earlier on this thread---sadly died at the beginning of this year. His friend Sam Harris recommended one of his profound books: Reasons and Persons.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 29 Jan 2017 01:21

Summerlander wrote:The Shocking Truth is simple and, according to the OP, we are still on topic. I should point out that the white guy in the video is closer to the truth, but, righteously, he makes it clear that he's only hypothesising. He's not speaking dogmatically or in absolutes like the black guy.

To anyone who thinks I'm racist: I'm not. :mrgreen:

Hey, that's racist! :D
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Jan 2017 15:17

I've got family blacker than him. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Feb 2017 02:45

Meditation can be beneficial to most people. Some can endure retreats whilst others are better off practising mindfulness in smaller daily doses.

In the latest Waking Up podcast episode, neuroscientist Sam Harris discusses the nature of our minds with his friend Joseph Goldstein (mentioned by deschainXIX earlier), a Buddhist who introduced and disseminated Vipassana in the West.

Levels of cognition; the pursuit of happiness; the benefits of mental observation; skillful and unskillful action; the sense of self; the enigma of consciousness; and the science of meditation are some of the subjects which are eloquently discussed by these savants. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 11 Feb 2017 18:38

I like to meditate listening to Alternative Rock sometimes.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Feb 2017 23:10

Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer are band that I sometimes meditate to. :)

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 12 Feb 2017 03:00

Funny you should mention it. I was listening to Tool today too.

Anyway, Camel's Mirage seems to be my choice these days. Great album.

~David Gerrold

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Feb 2017 14:41

Don't forget Caravan. ;)
Desert Explorer sent me a link to that the other day somewhere else, and has been stuck in my head for days.
Music is certainly good for the soul and changes your mood.

I don't keep up with this thread much, but yea, Sam Harris is the man. I saw him on Real Time with Bill Maher a little over a week ago. He's definitely the voice of reason to go to whenever one is confused. R.I.P. George Carlin, another great guest on that show.

Whenever you feel like the world is going crazy and talking nonsense, ground yourself with some reasonable people. I don't watch his podcast, but might start, and I'll check out those Tool songs you sent, Summerlander. I remember a really good one over a year ago in the Random Link Show thread and it might be the same as one you sent. I would love to hear/see the video again.

( Oh, those were not songs by Tool you sent, but other bands. Oh well, there was a really good one somewhere in the giant mess of confusion known as Random Link Show, and I'm not entirely sure if it was Tool or not.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Feb 2017 16:13

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-10lIrboM

8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Feb 2017 01:36

'Right in Two' is a great song (learned it on my guitar) and I love the video---it says a lot about mankind I find. 8-)

Yes, Sam Harris is certainly and exemplary luminary of reason. George Carlin was great, too. :)

That Camel band is the trippiest prog rock I've heard in a long time. I could meditate to it---or take acid first! :shock:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”