The Shocking Truth

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
HAGART

Re: The Shocking Truth

Postby HAGART » 17 Feb 2017 01:08

Listening to "Right in Two" again. I fell in love with this song/video. It certainly speaks a lot about mankind, not the fluffy stuff we want to hear, but gets to the truth.

For me, my "Shocking Truth" moment was when I watched "Clever Monkeys" narrated by David Attenborough. (I recommend that if you can find it.) It compared monkey behavior to ourselves. This is why I continually say that we are just monkey's, screeching at each other, foraging for food, dominating others while our power lasts just to have sex with every woman in the harem.

I hate to admit it, but that's the harsh truth in this world that we never chose to belong in and just got born here.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Feb 2017 03:10

Sartre pointed out the existential truth that we never chose to be born and had to largely invent the definition of what it means to be human. Indeed we are nothing but 'monkeys' but with one caveat (as Michio Kaku once highlighted): We appear to have one extra layer of brain matter that permits us to think about tomorrow amongst a number of complex things that could never enter the noggins of our primate cousins.

Having said this, monkeys do exhibit a level of social awareness in relation to their counterparts and they are capable of learning more than say, lizards.

Humans beings, however, have their faults and are far from any concept of perfection. We dream of heaven but the truth is that we, as a whole, are never truly happy with what we've got; we get bored and want more---heaven couldn't keep up.

Even if some kind of utopia were established on a global scale, some of us would soon miss the excitement and authenticity of conflict which was once part of a multifaceted world. This is why revolutions deposed dictatorships only to establish new governments which also have their degree of autocracy bound to displease some portion of society and so forth.

I believe this is the reason why war is never-ending. Like the human brain, mankind is conflicted. And the monkey, in its intellectual simplicity, is luckier.

I shall look for David Attenborough's 'Clever Monkey's'. It'right up my alley! :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 17 Feb 2017 13:05

I can't find the full documentary online. They copyright protect it and for good reason. Can't complain about that. I'm sure if you're a clever pirate with Utorrent you can find it. ;)

Here's the first part as a teaser: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/clever-monkeys/

It's great to take a step back and look at our society and see parallels between us and our monkey ancestry. We are not the same. We do have an extra layer of thought about here and now, a self awareness that is uniquely human, however monkeys are the blue prints upon which we are all based deep down in our psyche.

That shocking truth is not meant to belittle us, but humble us and elucidate our understanding of all behavior and life. Whenever I say we are just a bunch of monkeys, I don't mean that in a harsh way. I got my foot in my mouth a few times saying that but needed to clarify it.

The bottom line is: Know thyself. Looking to nature, which we are apart of and always have been provides answers. We are as natural as any other animal. The cities we build may seem to deface mother nature, but it's just a beehive, and our control of rivers is no less or more than a beaver dam.

If beavers or bees ruled this world they would mess up the ecosystem too. And fight and control each other with a literal Queen Bee. We are no different. We do love arguments and discord. I think it all can be directed back to the source: Our own minds. We are never satisfied even in our own heads, just as you say.

Meditation helps, but have still not practiced that, but I know for sure it works to quell our inner war.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Feb 2017 02:46

It does work. We can aim for simplicity and focus on the present moment.

There is a picture of a man walking his dog and both have thought bubbles above their heads. The human's bubble is cluttered with people, situations, buildings and other objects. It's a mess. The dog's bubble, on the other hand, merely reflects the scenery before it. It's simple and grounded in the present moment.

It is possible for the owner to match the dog's mental simplicity and experience a profound and unadulterated form of peace.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 21 Feb 2017 17:09

I was thinking about this forum recently and wanted to check in, even though I don't have time to catch with all the reading. I've been way too busy with university (double-majoring in Mathematics and Pre-Med) for forum activity, but I miss you guys and miss our discussions! So how's everyone been? :D
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Feb 2017 20:13

Well ...

I've been okay. Most recently amused by the current discussion on the paranormal forum. Pilgrim's casuistry has reached new heights! :mrgreen:

Me and him fell out over God. :D

- Padmasambhava

lin

Postby lin » 09 Mar 2017 12:09

thanks

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Mar 2017 12:18

You're welcome. Did you find this thread useful? I completed a stress test online yesterday. You'll find it here:

www.bemindfulonline.com

My stress level is 23 out of 40. (Forty being the highest level of stress.) I've already been diagnosed with mild depression and this test seems to show that I'm now just slightly above average in terms of stress. I have recently completed a cognitive behavioural therapy course and now my next goal is to use mindfulness meditation as a way to effectively reduce stress. What is your stress level? :)

Mindfulness can also be extended to the realisation that there is no 'me' running the show; there is only physical processes, sensory events, perceptions of those events, inclinations of mind and body such as thoughts, emotions and reactions, as well as the consciousness that experiences all of this happening. I found this quote in Ed Halliwell's Into the Heart of Mindfulness which intrigues me:

'When I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light or shade, love or hatred, pain or pleasure. I can never catch myself at any time without a perception, and never can observe anything but the perception ... I may venture to affirm of the rest of mankind, that they are nothing but a bundle of different perceptions, which succeed each other with an inconceivable rapidity, and are in perpetual flux and movement.'

~David Hume

This philosopher seems to have stumbled upon the same mental observations as the Buddha did 2,500 years ago. Both were exponents of the bundle theory which can be applied to the ontology of the human mind.

A reminder of the main 'shocking truth' of this topic: The self is a user illusion.

In depression, people need to take little steps. No pressure. Never suppress or deny emotions. Mindfully embrace them and observe them. They are as okay as any thought (good or bad). But what we don't want to do is to be dragged down by thoughts and emotions. They don't have to influence our actions. We don't have to chase them.

In meditation, we allow competing thoughts to arise; we see them beckoning to us. But in this state---focused and truly present---we have the power to choose to either chase or ignore them. There is a great sense of elation and empowerment when we realise that we don't have to answer to their call. They can, however, come and go as they please. And we can also examine them with interest whilst not identifying with them. :-)

There is some great info on this thread regarding the connection between mindfulness and lucid dreaming:

www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18908

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Mar 2017 16:57

This excerpt from the book I'm currently reading is worth sharing:

'Our minds are inclined to look for the downside in any situation, and we learn faster and more deeply from painful experiences than enjoyable ones. Negativity bias also means that we tend to interpret potentially difficult situations as more threatening than they are---we imagine the worst-case scenario even when things are likely to turn out fine. We see a coiled rope on the ground and we think it's a snake. We hear the creak of pipes at night and a voice in our heads screams: "Intruder!" From a survival perspective, this sort of reaction serves a useful purpose: it's better to worry today and be alive tomorrow than to be happy today and dead tomorrow. But, ultimately, the cost is more unhappiness. Because we are hard-wired to focus on the things that are not going well---and the things that pose a threat to our survival---we tend to ignore the good things in life. We're so busy worrying about whether we've left the gas on that we don't notice or appreciate the gorgeous sunrise on our walk to work. We feel tension in our gut, rather than a warm glow in our heart that might come from the beautiful view.'

~Ed Halliwell; Into the Heart of Mindfulness

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 16 Mar 2017 21:53

Summerlander wrote:'Right in Two' is a great song (learned it on my guitar) and I love the video---it says a lot about mankind I find. 8-)

Yes, Sam Harris is certainly and exemplary luminary of reason. George Carlin was great, too. :)

That Camel band is the trippiest prog rock I've heard in a long time. I could meditate to it---or take acid first! :shock:

I wonder what your experience would be if you took acid and listened to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. :mrgreen:
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Return to “Off-Topic”