Similarities Between The Red Books By Carl Jung and J.R.R. Tolkien

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
jasmine2

Similarities Between The Red Books By Carl Jung and J.R.R. Tolkien

Postby jasmine2 » 31 May 2017 01:54

I highly recommend the following presentation by Becca Tarnas. (Choose either article or video. Both include illustrations.)

- Article - "The Red Book and the Red Book: Jung, Tolkien, and the Convergence of Images" - beccatarnas.com - May 16, 2014
(Be sure to include date in web search.)

- Video - YouTube - " The Red Book and the Red Book: Jung, Tolkien, and the Convergence of Images" - Becca Tarnas - ArchetypalView

Becca Tarnas describes how Carl Jung and J.R.R. Tolkien, around roughly the year 1913, both experienced an activation of their imagination. They each recorded these inner scenes and events in writings and illustrations, which they later bound in red leather.

- Excerpt - by Becca Tarnas -
"As I began to explore Jung's Red Book in the context of Tolkien's writings, I started to find certain similarities between their work beyond the titles and color of the red leather binding. There seemed to be a certain resonance between the two bodies of work, a convergence of images ... a synchronicity of imagination."

- See -
- Google - Images for -
- Paintings from Carl Jung's "The Red Book"
- Illustrations from J.R.R. Tolkien's - "The Book Of Ishness" and "The Red Book of Westmarch"

After psychiatrist Carl Jung broke off his close friendship with Sigmund Freud, Jung experienced a period of intense inner turmoil and depression. He decided to dive into the depths of this experience by giving symbolic expression to his emotions and conflicts and then interacting with the characters that arouse in his imagination (active imagination). He later recorded these dialogues an images in his "Red Book" (also known as Liber Novus).

J.R.R. Tolkien, when he was a student at Oxford, "began making an unusual series of drawings in a sketchbook he entitled "The Book of Ishness" ... and "The Red Book Of Westmarch ... focusing upon the inner images of imagination." He later began to write mythic stories, and he became famous as the author of the books - "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" - trilogy.

- Other references -
- Books by Carl Jung -
- "Memories, Dreams, Reflections"
- "Jung On Active Imagination"

Books by Marie-Louise von Franz, a close associate of Carl Jung
Example -
- "The Interpretation of Fairy Tales"
At Amazon - Look inside, first pages -
" After working for many years in this field, I have come to the conclusion that all fairy tales endeavor to describe one and the same psychic fact ... complex and far-reaching ... This unknown fact is what Jung calls The Self, which is the psychic totality of the individual and also, paradoxically, the regulating center of the collective unconscious."

Return to “Off-Topic”