What language do born deaf people think?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
James

What language do born deaf people think?

Postby James » 13 Aug 2012 02:17

Post your mind-boggling questions here and/or try to answer them too!

Here are my two:
- What language do born deaf people think?
- Your communicating for the first time in mankind to an alien over some sort of communication device, how do you explain what is left and right if they can't see you?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Last edited by James on 24 Mar 2013 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Was it worth it?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: What language do born deaf people think?

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 12:39

Have you heard of Helen Keller? She was born deaf and blind... can you even imagine! She had an amazing teacher named Anne Sullivan who took her out of this non-communicative world and taught her sign language (eg, by forcing her hands into the sign language for "cake" then shoving cake in her mouth). That was just the beginning but it gave her language and she went on to become a famous author. There's an old B&W movie on it, Google it to watch! It's mind boggling what her inner world would have been like.

As far as aliens go, I hear that maths is a good universal language....!?! There are astounding mathematical patterns in the universe, that repeat over and over, dictating all sorts of things from the shape of galaxies to crowd behaviors. Aliens advanced enough to chat to us would surely have some concept of this mathematics, even if we use different symbols, we could surely teach each other from the start...

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Sep 2012 21:12

I was having a very similar conversation with my friend, if we were to stumble upon an alien civilisation that was intellligent, the one thing I think we can almost be sure of to have in common is some study of geometry, we would recognise the same shapes, a triangle is a triangle anywhere in the universe. Same goes for maths I guess, different symbols meaning the same thing.

What I would be interested in (sorry to hijack the topic a bit) is if the laws of physics were different and we were in another universe, would geometry be the same? In other words is it possible that there are other shapes we cannot imagine due to our brains physical structure, same goes for logic.

Anyway I will have to check up on the documentary it sounds really interesting, I always tried to imagine what blind people think, apparently they cant even see shapes in their minds eye.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Legended

Postby Legended » 19 Sep 2012 09:00

What do blind people dream about?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

James

Postby James » 19 Sep 2012 18:13

Legended wrote:What do blind people dream about?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Music ;)
Was it worth it?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Jan 2013 04:19

Legended wrote:What do blind people dream about?

I have mused on this one before:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/what-do-blind-people-dream-about.html

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Jan 2013 16:45

Rebecca wrote:Have you heard of Helen Keller? She was born deaf and blind... can you even imagine! She had an amazing teacher named Anne Sullivan who took her out of this non-communicative world and taught her sign language (eg, by forcing her hands into the sign language for "cake" then shoving cake in her mouth). That was just the beginning but it gave her language and she went on to become a famous author. There's an old B&W movie on it, Google it to watch! It's mind boggling what her inner world would have been like.

She is also a well known case of cryptomnesia. Poor Keller... :|
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 20 Jan 2013 20:03

I had to look up "cryptomnesia" why Summerlander had to bring that up I don't understand :(

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Feb 2013 12:18

I think I read somewhere a long while ago that blind people dont have dreams (or at least see them... not sure what it meant that they dont have them that was unless they could see for so many years of their life before becoming blind).

My favourite question which I cant answer is why are daffodils yellow?
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Feb 2013 21:51

I'd imagine that Helen Keller's dreams emulated her waking world, a world perceived only through tactility. In the early years of her life, not even language existed. This, as she discovered, came later. It was a precious addition to her life for sure, something that most take for granted.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”