If you believe in afterlife, what do you think it will be?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
lucidinthe sky

Re: If you believe in afterlife, what do you think it will b

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Apr 2013 04:44

Summerlander wrote:Let me just correct you there, lucidinthe sky, so we don't get the science wrong here as it could be detrimental to this discourse. Luckily enough I'm somewhat of a quantum physics connoisseur, hehe...

Light, despite being massless (the Higgs field does not "treacle" around it) is still made of physical units called photons.

Photons in great abundance and concentration can still produce noticeable effects on our macro level of reality - one of the most famous of such effects is photosynthesis (my nine-year-old son just reminded me of this by recounting a science experiment that was conducted at school! LOL!)

So, light, as a physical constituent of reality and thus part of the physical realm cannot equate with a hypothetical non-physicality as is implied in the belief-centricity of the spiritualist afterlife. Since spirits or discarnate beings have not been scientifically demonstrated to exist, I cannot openly adhere to such views. One may be open but not to the point where your brains fall out...

Thanks for the input, but I started this thread to be discussion about belief in the afterlife for those of us who think it will happen, I thought that was pretty clear from the title. Beliefs in the afterlife are not scientific in nature and the thread was not meant to be a debate thread about whether the afterlife exists in the first place or whether there is scientific evidence to support it. This is a discussion, not a debate.

However! Due to popular demand, I did start an afterlife debate thread for all my friends here who need that. 8-) Feel free to go there, that's what I created it for.
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 12 Apr 2013 05:34, edited 4 times in total.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Apr 2013 05:10

taniaaust1 wrote:I know Ive mentioned this book once before on this site but seeing Quantum Physics has just come up in this thread and I really like this book.. I'll mention it again.

If Quantum physics interests you.. a book I really enjoyed reading is "The Yoga of Time Travel, How the Mind can Defeat Time" by Fred Alan Wolf (author of award winning book "Taking the Quantum Leap".. which I havent read yet)

Thanks for the book info. I'll see if I can can find these. I have read about many NDEs where people have said they saw their bodies as just being made of light energy so the whole idea is fascinating to me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Apr 2013 11:30

Got it, lucid.

It is fascinating indeed, isn't it, mia? Btw, check out the simulation of Andromeda colliding with the Milky Way on NASA's site. It's pretty cool!;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

mia

Postby mia » 12 Apr 2013 15:00

Yes life is fascinating. I will check that out Summerlander. Thank you.

And the language of belief is the language of the heart. A kind of poetry in our struggle to describe the human experience of that which we feel deeply but is evocative and unseen. Metaphors for the invisible. It is a fragile and beautiful endeavor. Lucidinthesky, I always enjoy reading your beautiful descriptions.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Apr 2013 17:32

Thanks Mia.

There is so much beauty to experience and share. I just think of the words of Hellen Keller who said, "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Apr 2013 12:30

Well, she never saw anything. If she had done she might have changed her mind. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

StuartQuinn

Postby StuartQuinn » 19 Nov 2013 08:47

Summerlander wrote:Let me just correct you there, lucidinthe sky, so we don't get the science wrong here as it could be detrimental to this discourse. Luckily enough I'm somewhat of a quantum physics connoisseur, hehe...

Light, despite being massless (the Higgs field does not "treacle" around it) is still made of physical units called photons.

Photons in great abundance and concentration can still produce noticeable effects on our macro level of reality - one of the most famous of such effects is photosynthesis (my nine-year-old son just reminded me of this by recounting a science experiment that was conducted at school! LOL!)

So, light, as a physical constituent of reality and thus part of the physical realm cannot equate with a hypothetical non-physicality as is implied in the belief-centricity of the spiritualist afterlife. Since spirits or discarnate beings have not been scientifically demonstrated to exist, I cannot openly adhere to such views. One may be open but not to the point where your brains fall out...

However, besides expressing great admiration for Reacher's latest hypothetical conception (it is not nonsense at all if you take the time to really think about it), I would like to share my own which includes the revival of an individual awareness, such as rebirth, but not in the sense of reincarnation by a spiritual being...

For your individual awareness and sense of self to be brought back into being, the universewould have to stumble upon the same coordinates in space, according to physical laws, that would permit this. In this vein, you'd be brought back into being if the universe reproduces the energetic configuration that identifies with being you.

But even this seems improbable and refutable to me (amazing that I can have such ideas and criticise them at the same time!). Evolution seems to go against retrograde mutations. The humans of tomorrow will always be different. Unless, of course, a scenario like the one in the film AI presents itself and we are brought back by highly-advanced conscious machines (if not conscious then semblances of consciousness that managed to pass the Turing test) interested or seeking information on human history and genetics.

If this happens before the Earth's destruction or the demise of our solar system then maybe there is a slim chance of a conscious return. But highly unlikely. The universe is constantly changing and still expanding faster and faster... :shock: :shock:

And no, we won't return in another universe. We are part of this one and our being is compatible with its energy levels and constants. Mr Thomas Campbell found hoof prints on the ground made by horses that died and never fossilised and expects everyone to be open-minded about the idea that unicorns made them. :mrgreen:

Anyway, to me that would be a possibly viable "afterlife", without a hint of the preternatural, but is by no means a belief - just an idea floating around in my head. By the way, when it comes to quantum theory beware of pseudoscientists out there. Take heed of the experts, especially those who worked at CERN and other renowned ones who luckily for us have a propensity for writing about what they are excited about and their work. Much to be said about the Higgs boson but what is available and legit opens visionary doors for new and amazing technology. :)

Thanks for sharing such useful information..I think it is very hard to predict afterlife..I think there will be fog and very less light..

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Nov 2013 01:12

Or absolute nothingness...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 06 Dec 2013 12:09

Or we burn in hell for eternity hur hur hur
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

CookieMonster:3

Postby CookieMonster:3 » 23 Dec 2013 18:59

I'm only 14, but I've spent a lot of time daydreaming in classes and wondering what is after death. To be honest, I think there could be a such thing as reincarnation. I'm not Buddhist or Hindu. In fact, I'm Catholic, but that's mainly because my mom makes me be. I do believe in a single God, yet as to a heaven and hell....I'm not sure they truly exist. Basically, I believe in reincarnation. My mom would flip if I told her that. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”