do you tell others you have lucid dreams?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
mia

Re: do you tell others you have lucid dreams?

Postby mia » 01 May 2013 01:53

Thank you Summerlander; you too. ;)
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 May 2013 08:40

mia wrote:Well, I tried telling someone else again today. Big bomb! I felt very awkward; and was SO sorry I brought it up. They acted awkward. So no more. How come you all seem to know people who appreciate this?
:( secret secret secret life ; ain't nobody's business if I do

Sorry to hear that mia.

Maybe you need to be a bit more discerning to work out who is okay to tell and who isnt. It certainly isnt something we can tell everyone.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 May 2013 10:15

I must say that I have come across people who were absolutely terrified at the thought of becoming aware of dreaming - usually people who were not familiar with the term "lucid dreaming" before.

It made me wonder why some people take the concept so well and display an interest while others show fear. It could be a number of things from the recipient's beliefs about dreams and world-views to the informant's manner of explaining what lucid dreaming entails.

Perhaps I was too intense on some occasions of explaining what it means to be aware of dreaming and what is achievable. Some people, for example, found the idea of a splendorous hyperreal quality in mental environments a frightening concept.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 May 2013 12:27

Summerlander.. maybe it also depends on the types of dreams people have :?: . Someone who has horrid or scary dreams, may feel more fear at the thought that they could possibly become lucid during a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 18 May 2013 18:43

Some people, for example, found the idea of a splendorous hyperreal quality in mental environments a frightening concept[quote][/quote]

Can you put that in English the average person will understand. :)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 May 2013 16:14

taniaaust1 wrote:Summerlander.. maybe it also depends on the types of dreams people have :?: . Someone who has horrid or scary dreams, may feel more fear at the thought that they could possibly become lucid during a dream.

Good point. In which case we should explain to them that lucid dreaming can tackle nightmares and fears in general. I think it is a good idea to highlight the therapeutic potential of lucid dreaming.

erichsa wrote:Can you put that in English the average person will understand. :)

Some people are scared shitless of the idea that dreams can be realer than real. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”