Hostile Dream Characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
bluebishop

Hostile Dream Characters

Postby bluebishop » 03 Sep 2013 14:50

For the past few weeks my dream characters have been hostile towards me. My goal has been to talk to my subconscious mind, but I have been unsuccessful lately since the dream characters will actually come and attack me. Last night I had a lucid dream where I was on the shore of the West coast of the US and I yelled out, "I want to speak to my subconscious, I mean it no harm." Not long after, a group of dream characters started to appear around me. One of them in front of me said, "There he is. Get him!" He charged after me while a man behind him pulled out a knife and also charged at me. I said, "WAIT!" but as they got too close I got scared. I grabbed the first guy and used him as a shield, but I woke up soon after.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on how to deal with hostile dream characters? I have tried reasoning with them (asking them what they represent, telling them I do not want to hurt anyone, etc).

HAGART

Re: Hostile Dream Characters

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 18:38

This is common and it happens to me too sometimes.
They fight me for no apparent reason.

I usually vanquish them and move on, but sometimes they are undefeatable.

I don't know the answer why, but I get it too sometimes and it is very common.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

bluebishop

Postby bluebishop » 03 Sep 2013 22:45

Okay, thank you.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 03 Sep 2013 23:10

I think the best way is to ignore them, if you can. Don't fight them.
Once i had a dream where a group of 4 armed men were about to shoot me. I got a machine gun and started to fire on them. It didn't work. The bullets did no harm. Frustrated (because this happened many times before) i said:
-"Oh no, not again. I can't kill them. Ok. I've had it. I'm dreaming and you can't kill me either. Would you like me to prove it? Put your handgun on my head."
I then grabbed one of the DC's armed hand and put his handgun on my head.
-"Go ahead. Shoot me. Shoot me!!!"
He shot. I only felt a little sting. I was unharmed.
-"You see?"
And then they left and i went on my away to explore the dream.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 23:23

I once got fired at in a lucid dream and caught the bullet and threw it back and it killed him. (it was very satisfying :twisted: )
Other times I have been brutally beat up, unable to fight back, but I feel no pain and just go with it, knowing I won't be hurt. I enter a new dream scene afterward and wonder what the hell that was all about.

But still... I question why? I don't know. Does anybody truly know?

I guess it's just 'one of those things' and depends on the mysteries of our subconscious. (But I like to solve mysteries....)

WHY I wonder.........
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Sep 2013 00:36

Why not trying compassion and empathy with hostile dream characters? Rather than fighting back, slow down and try to communicate with them, saying, "Why would you be angry at me? I'm you, you know that right?"
Although a good fight in lucid dreams is really fun XD
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Sep 2013 00:44

deschainXIX wrote:Why not trying compassion and empathy with hostile dream characters? Rather than fighting back, slow down and try to communicate with them, saying, "Why would you be angry at me? I'm you, you know that right?"
Although a good fight in lucid dreams is really fun XD

I tried that and it works sometimes.
Other times they don't listen to reason.

But sometimes we fight, and when I win it is rewarding, and when I lose I am left thinking about it afterward, and feel like I needed a good ass-kicking after all for some reason. Either way, they are good!

I don't mind my dreams beating me up sometimes. Maybe I need to be humbled once in a while.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 04 Sep 2013 01:14

When it comes to hostile DC's I fight back with pleasure. When I wake up from fighting dreams always think "Dang, that DC was SO lucky I wasn't lucid."

However there was a time I had a non-lucid dream that ended up being a fight between me and a dream friend. If I was lucid I would never have fought them because they are my friend. Instead I would've restrained them and tried to figure out why they were throwing punches at me. Unfortunately since this was a non-lucid I ended up doing what I do best to hostile DC's.

So my advice is maybe, for DC's you don't wish to harm, try to restrain or neutralize them so you can at least stop them from attacking you and then figure out what their problem is.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

bluebishop

Postby bluebishop » 04 Sep 2013 02:05

Not fighting back does not seem to be a good option sometimes. Two nights ago I actually felt some form of pain when a dream character was twisting my arm even when I knew it was not real. Not to mention they ignored me when I tried to reason with them. It was a dream induced lucid dream, and these two dream characters were smiling at me before I became lucid and then charged at me the moment I became lucid.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Sep 2013 01:40

bluebishop wrote:Not fighting back does not seem to be a good option sometimes. Two nights ago I actually felt some form of pain when a dream character was twisting my arm even when I knew it was not real. Not to mention they ignored me when I tried to reason with them. It was a dream induced lucid dream, and these two dream characters were smiling at me before I became lucid and then charged at me the moment I became lucid.

Sounds like some part of yourself may fear LDs for some reason and hence then creates you being attacked as you gain consciousness.

One thing Ive done thou havent got to try this when there is more then one scary DC, is to turn the DC into something harmless and innocent instead. Once in a LD I was out in the middle of an ocean with a demon DC glaring at me, facing me right in front of me, he was glaring at me with glowing red eyes with such intent hate and malice (like he wanted me dead). I didnt want to end the LD due to it scarying me (like you I can feel a lot of pain in a LD) so instead I changed him into a young innocent child.

Fighting things in LDs can often escelate situations so better to go the non violet route if something in your dream is scarying you.

or you could try to bring a policeman into your LD to help you and take away anything which is threatening you. That probably would be an easier thing to do rather then trying to change more then one DC.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Characters”