My Dream Character Interview

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
HAGART

My Dream Character Interview

Postby HAGART » 06 Sep 2013 16:28

I came up with a question tree, that I have rehearsed and been using in my lucid dreams for about a month now. I start out by asking whether they know it is a dream or not and then I ask a series of follow up questions depending on how they answer. Here is what I have rehearsed and memorized:

Then I will ask, "Do you know who I am?"
If YES: "Do you remember the last time we met?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Tell me about it!"
.....IF NO: "Then how do you know me?"
If NO: "Do you know ANYBODY at all?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Who are they and tell me about them."(they may describe ME!)
.....IF NO: "How did you get here and who's dreaming this?" (they may describe ME!)

I've planned it so all roads lead to one thing: They must admit they know me or at least know SOMEBODY and perhaps that somebody is me. There is no way out unless they contradict themselves or change the subject. (Well that's the idea).

All the times I tried so far, the dream character didn't know it was a dream. Finally, I found one that was aware that it was a dream. Here is how it went:

Me: "Do you talk?"
DC: "Yes."

Me: "Do you know this is a dream?"

Me: "Do you know who I am?"
DC: "No."

Me: "Do you know anybody?" (there were other DCs around too)
DC: "No."

Me: "Then how do you know this is a dream? Who is dreaming this?"
DC: "I never said it was a dream."

Me: "Yes you did!"
DC: "Well, I must say, I disagree that I ever said that." (he was very sincere about it).

I let him be, and knew an argument was pointless. I caught him in a big fat lie and I knew it. And when he turned away I swear I saw a smirk on his face and perhaps even a wink, like he knew it too, and was just toying with me. Dream characters always win an argument don't they?

This DC didn't have much personality, but it started to show at the end when he wasn't using simple yes/no answers anymore. I've met some DC's that have real personalities, and I would love to try this out on them. Either way, I'll post more when they happen.
Last edited by HAGART on 07 Sep 2013 02:34, edited 3 times in total.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Highlander

Re: My Dream Character Interview

Postby Highlander » 06 Sep 2013 20:01

Nice talk. I love this kind of thing and i am trying to have conversations with DC's too. Some went well, some not.

tea

Postby tea » 09 Sep 2013 07:42

hahaha great post, nice ideas!

Dream characters always win an argument don't they?

xD yeah
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Sep 2013 20:08

I'll memorize this tree and use it
Well said.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Sep 2013 05:01

It's a really good idea to have a plan rehearsed before the dream, otherwise you wake up thinking, "Oh I wish I had asked X or why didn't I say Y?" There's so much more preparation that can be done, especially when you consider how few and short the opportunities are. And most of time, DCs are not very good at conversation.

I'm been trying to teach them about flying, that usually gets them talking. The first time the DC fought all the way and just refused. The latest one actually went along with me which was really fantastic. We didn't talk much, but flying around together as great.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Sep 2013 06:40

I actually forgot about this post until it was 'refreshed' and responded to and appeared in my 'view your posts' section. I re-read it and at the end I said I was going to provide more.
Ever since I started this questioning, it has changed how the DCs react. I think my own self-doubt about this is creeping in.... I'll explain with my next lucid dream example:

I became lucid in a classroom setting, and I stood in front of the class and asked the (about ten year-olds), if anybody wanted to speak. Two in the front pointed at each other and kept saying, "He wants to talk!", "No, not me! He does!" Finally one spoke and said, "You are making a fool of yourself on national television."

I don't know what that means, but I felt embarrassed.... then the dream faded, I remained calm and had an OBE-type lucid dream and got up and left out my front door. It was far more vivid this time...

Outside, it was night, and I saw a police car and I waved it down. I was only planning to talk to the driver through the window, but before I could reach the car, the back door opened. I just had to get in after an invitation like that! Once inside, there were two cops inside in the front seats. They were best friends and had a... I would say... Brooklyn accent. The driver spoke without me needing to start it and he was very talkative, happy and jovial. He did explain about the terrible incident about his brother dieing at the cylinder factory... (I'm not making that up, that's not a typo, that's what he said, and darned if I know what it means....), but he was rather upbeat about it and life goes on. I then started my questioning:

ME: Do you know it is a dream?
THEM AT THE SAME TIME: Yes. (The way they said it, they were reluctant to admit it. As if I had taken the wind out of their sails. They were no longer upbeat and jovial).

ME: Do you know who I am?
THE PASSENGER SIDE: Yea, your the guy who just came in here!
(They both laugh at me) (I get the joke, but it's on me and I'm not amused.)

Me: Do you know anybody at all? (I already feel stupid saying it because they obviously know each other).

They didn't answer and I felt so stupid and embarrassed again, I just opened the door and jumped out of the moving car! ( I started running as I left so I would keep my balance. I just carried on with my lucid dream after that for a few minutes ).

I've noticed when I DON'T try to use my 'word tree' my DC's talk much more freely. (So maybe it's not the best thing in the world, but hey, try it for yourself). Perhaps the fact that I consider it a scheme to 'get them' with my 'logic' is what is ruining it for me. My own feelings are affecting them. Changing how I feel has remarkable affects on lucid dreams. I should be more friendly just like those "Brooklyn Cops" were, and I bet they would have responded much better to me. I haven't given up on this and I will try again.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 30 Sep 2013 09:30

I like reading your conversations, because i do them too. And, like you, sometimes we make a wrong question that we then feel embarassed or kind of stupid when we wake up and think: "Why did i ask that? I could have asked this instead... or this..."

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 30 Sep 2013 12:24

HAGART wrote:I actually forgot about this post until it was 'refreshed' and responded to and appeared in my 'view your posts' section. I re-read it and at the end I said I was going to provide more.
Ever since I started this questioning, it has changed how the DCs react. I think my own self-doubt about this is creeping in.... I'll explain with my next lucid dream example:

I became lucid in a classroom setting, and I stood in front of the class and asked the (about ten year-olds), if anybody wanted to speak. Two in the front pointed at each other and kept saying, "He wants to talk!", "No, not me! He does!" Finally one spoke and said, "You are making a fool of yourself on national television."

I don't know what that means, but I felt embarrassed.... then the dream faded, I remained calm and had an OBE-type lucid dream and got up and left out my front door. It was far more vivid this time...

Outside, it was night, and I saw a police car and I waved it down. I was only planning to talk to the driver through the window, but before I could reach the car, the back door opened. I just had to get in after an invitation like that! Once inside, there were two cops inside in the front seats. They were best friends and had a... I would say... Brooklyn accent. The driver spoke without me needing to start it and he was very talkative, happy and jovial. He did explain about the terrible incident about his brother dieing at the cylinder factory... (I'm not making that up, that's not a typo, that's what he said, and darned if I know what it means....), but he was rather upbeat about it and life goes on. I then started my questioning:

ME: Do you know it is a dream?
THEM AT THE SAME TIME: Yes. (The way they said it, they were reluctant to admit it. As if I had taken the wind out of their sails. They were no longer upbeat and jovial).

ME: Do you know who I am?
THE PASSENGER SIDE: Yea, your the guy who just came in here!
(They both laugh at me) (I get the joke, but it's on me and I'm not amused.)

Me: Do you know anybody at all? (I already feel stupid saying it because they obviously know each other).

They didn't answer and I felt so stupid and embarrassed again, I just opened the door and jumped out of the moving car! ( I started running as I left so I would keep my balance. I just carried on with my lucid dream after that for a few minutes ).

I've noticed when I DON'T try to use my 'word tree' my DC's talk much more freely. (So maybe it's not the best thing in the world, but hey, try it for yourself). Perhaps the fact that I consider it a scheme to 'get them' with my 'logic' is what is ruining it for me. My own feelings are affecting them. Changing how I feel has remarkable affects on lucid dreams. I should be more friendly just like those "Brooklyn Cops" were, and I bet they would have responded much better to me. I haven't given up on this and I will try again.

Dream entities sometimes just say the strangest things!! At this point I get a good laugh from hearing about it, or when it happens to me.

I too enjoy conversations with these beings, and I find by treating them as real people, they act just as unpredictable and real as a "real" person would. So I see what you mean about the self doubt, and I agree it can creep it's way in! But we realize it, and I believe it's showing us to adjust our attitudes. For instance, I used to call them "dream characters", but that implies that they are nothing more then an actor following a script. I realized that I must call then "Dream Entities", for that is what they truly are! And ever since I've began to see them as entities instead of characters, they've been living entities who offer the most enlightening conversations.

But that's just what I think, many may disagree. But I loved reading your experiences! Conversations with DEs can be the best LDs to read about! So thank you, and I hope you post your future conversations!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Sep 2014 06:01

I forgot all about this thread and my idea for quite a while, but then I inadvertently posed questions similar to my rehearsed 'question tree' and had a talk with a Dream Character, or 'Dream Entity', or whatever you choose to call them. (I'll just use "DC" for lack of a better term. He was male, in his twenties, and seemed Latino). I'll just provide the conversation out of context for you guys to ponder:

(September 18, 2014)

ME: "Do you know who I am?" (Feeling confident and important, thinking to myself... I am the creator of this 'lucid dream world'.)

ME: "Do you know my name?"
DC: He said, two different 'M' names like Marcel and Mitchel, and then said, "Michael." (My real name.)

ME: "Three times is not so bad."
Then I asked, "Do you remember my past dreams?"

DC: "Yes". (I don't remember if he explained why, but I just intuitively knew what he meant. He had heard about them from others as if I am a legend in that 'realm' that stories are shared about. Like I was their 'creator')

In my other attempts they always claimed to not know who I was, and I think this was the first time a DC actually knew my name! And if you see how it started and how it ended, that is further proof that most "DC's" react to your own mood, intentions, and expectations. I won't draw any more conclusions and just let you guys reading this think about it. And feel free to share your own "Dream Character Interviews".

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 24 Sep 2014 17:52

In reply to the OP. Technically he did not say, "This is a dream." ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Characters”