Why DC's deny that they're from my imagination?

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
Highlander

Why DC's deny that they're from my imagination?

Postby Highlander » 15 Jun 2014 13:21

I read all kinds of opinions about Dream Characters. Some people say that they could be other dreamers, some say that it's astral spirits and others say that it's all a product of our minds. Because i guess i never experienced dream sharing and i haven't got proof of me talking to spirits, my opinion is that it's all in our minds. And in my lucid dreams, i tend to say this to DC's. The funny thing is that when i say that this is all a dream and they are a product of my mind, they get all sad. Some people who did this too, say that they get angry or say they are real people who are dreaming too.
So, if this is all constructed by our minds, our subconscious, how come DC's get sad when i say that this is a dream and that they are from my imagination?

imaginecinema

Re: Why DC's deny that they're from my imagination?

Postby imaginecinema » 18 Jun 2014 14:24

Ooooh.... that's a huge question. My guess is that our brain wants to maintain the illusion that we are in reality and so causes people to act how we would expect most normal people to. If dream sharing really happened as you say it did, wouldn't you run into dream characters that said "You're just a part of my dream"?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 18 Jun 2014 22:13

imaginecinema wrote:If dream sharing really happened as you say it did, wouldn't you run into dream characters that said "You're just a part of my dream"?

This has happened to me before! Hard to tell if they're bluffing though ;)
Dreaming is my drug

imaginecinema

Postby imaginecinema » 19 Jun 2014 02:15

This has happened to me before! Hard to tell if they're bluffing though

Mmmm. Next time that happens you should definitely tell them that you're real and that you're dream sharing and ask them for a name and number so that you can confirm upon waking that they weren't real. That's probably too complicated to achieve in a flux dream state, though.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 19 Jun 2014 19:12

imaginecinema wrote:Mmmm. Next time that happens you should definitely tell them that you're real and that you're dream sharing and ask them for a name and number so that you can confirm upon waking that they weren't real. That's probably too complicated to achieve in a flux dream state, though.

I kinda did that. Well, i didn't tell that i'm real but in a conversation with a DC we agreed we were dreaming and i asked his name and location. A couple of DC's told me but it was very strange names and locations that i couldn't find in real life.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Jun 2014 13:57

They are dream elements, part of your mind, and will thus reflect your thought processes (conscious and unconscious). Their denial that they're from your imagination merely reflects an idea that prevails in your head. They are you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 26 Jun 2014 14:07

Summerlander wrote:They are dream elements, part of your mind, and will thus reflect your thought processes (conscious and unconscious). Their denial that they're from your imagination merely reflects an idea that prevails in your head. They are you.

Yes. That's my thought also. What i find curious is why i'm all excited of being in a dream but the DC's aren't.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Jun 2014 21:33

Well, here's a theory: you "stole" all "their excitement." It may be analogous to those instances when one becomes lucid (DILD scenario) and realises that previously active dream characters have suddenly turned quiescent or vanished altogether. Did the dreamer just steal their vitality or absorbed them altogether by achieving a state of lucidity?

Do interactions with lively characters in lucid dreams require an often unnoticeable trade-off between both parties (dreamer and dream figure)? Many lucid dream reports seem to suggest so - whereby dialogue absorption, or even too much interaction with random dream events, can subvert the dreamer's degree of consciousness. The reverse is also observed when the dreamer manages to recover lost lucidity: the dreamer is awarded with crystal clarity but the dream characters have suddenly turned into mindless zombies or still mannequins.

So, back to the subject of excitement, perhaps the emotion in your mind became more localised or self-centred at the time. In fact, a number of reasons seem feasible in the context of concepts that prevail in one's mind: the idea that characters present are denizens of the dream world can create the expectation that they shouldn't act surprised or excited because such world is their home anyway.

You cannot possibly determine the origin of everything that arises in your mind and is thus projected in the dream world. The self perambulates planet Unconsciousness not knowing how it formed or where it originated. But it can forensically look for clues... 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Characters”