Asking Dream Characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
hectorjose

Asking Dream Characters

Postby hectorjose » 24 Dec 2014 18:43

Some of the more recent things I have done in lucid dreams that involve dream characters, were just experiments I thought up while in the Lucid dream itself. About a month ago, I was in a large room with about 20 or so dream characters (none that I recognized). They all were engaged in conversations with one another and as I stood in the room looking around at them, I started wondering to myself if they were all extensions of me or if some were actually independent entities that found their way into this scene. I called out a question in a loud voice that said, "For everyone in this room, if you are manifestations of my consciousness I want you to raise your hand!" All of a sudden, they all stopped talking and the majority raised their hands... I looked around looking at everyone with their hands up, and noted that 4 of the characters did not have their hands up. Feeling excited and bewildered by this, I walked over to one with their hand down, and asked him where he was from. The character seemed confused by the question so I felt compelled to start in on where I was from. I told him I had a physical body back on a place called earth that was asleep, and that I would eventually return to it. The character did not respond but just looked at me with an expression of "oh ok, that is interesting" lol

a few nights later I became lucid while walking down a city street. There were about 15 or so dream characters walking around the scene. This time I called out, "Who ever is a manifestation of my consciousness here, I want you to disappear!" immediately most of the characters just seemed to dissolve in the places they stood. That left about 3 which did not. I again walked up to one and started explaining I was dreaming and if they were also dreaming (with a physical body somewhere). Again the response was non-verbal but a perplexed look.

Has anyone experienced this kind of experiment? I don't know why i always feel compelled to tell these characters who i am and how i got there then inquire the same from them! One of my first lucid dreams about 13 years ago, I remember asking a dream character who they were and if they were from another place (other than the lucid dream scene) to which one told me, "You're not suppose to ask that" and walked off. I never knew what to make of it,but I kept asking over the years anyway lol

-Hector
Last edited by hectorjose on 14 Jan 2015 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

HAGART

Re: Asking Dream Characters

Postby HAGART » 29 Dec 2014 01:25

I've done something similar and must find it in my dream journal some time.

I use to be in the habit of asking, "Who here knows it's a dream?" If one answers yes, or raises their hand, they tend to be more lucid and talkative while others can act like empty zombies.

And there have been some times when I truly felt like I was dream sharing with a fellow lucid dreamer(s). I'm not saying I did, but certainly FELT like it.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 06 Jan 2015 22:56

I like your response because you are probably on to something. I definitely have noticed that the dream characters in my lucid dreams do seem to have varying levels of awareness...from chatty and filled with personality....to mute and zombie like (in behavior not in appearance). I'm glad you pointed that out because Its something i've noticed but haven't thought much about. I will be more aware of it in my lucid dreams and try to conduct some experiments...like asking the lively ones why the other ones who are not so lively...are that way... :)
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

Caden_16

Postby Caden_16 » 13 Jan 2015 02:02

Fascinating. Good on you guys for doing stuff like this. I'm a little bit too inexperienced to be doing things like this but when I can, it would be cool to try. It seems far out that our brains can communicate but I like to think its possible :P

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jan 2015 15:01

Hi, Hector! Interesting experiment. I've had a dream guide introducing me to several characters in a DILD, which later, upon waking introspection, I would recognise as epithetical personifications of myself. So far, it seems to me that dreams, lucid or not (lucidity, let's not forget, is a condition acquired by the dreamer), can act as mirrors for the self and what state it is in. So it is not surprising that many characters, which are really just recognisable shapes (people) in the dream context, will obey the dreamer.

I would always oppugn the notion that some dream characters are sentient beings independent of the dreamers psyche. There is no reason that suggests this is true once we consider the drive for creative manifestations in dreams which is potentially limitless. And just as we logically conclude that the vanishing characters in your dream experiment represented hues in your consciousness, we may also theoretically decide that the remaining ones stemmed from the deep unconscious.

Notice how the Hector-consciousness manifestations behaved as though they were real people who understood language, reasoned logically, and subsequently obeyed; in contrast with the ones that did not show their "ID" as instructed.

The former appear to be firmly grounded on the workings of the left-brain, and the latter, ostensibly perplexed by language and behaviourally odd, the right hemisphere which generates the mind's abstractionism. Whether this supports the bicameral mind theory I don't know.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Jan 2015 11:24

Great experiment. Thanks for sharing.

One of my first lucid dreams about 13 years ago, I remember asking a dream character who they were and if they were from another place

Ive had about 7 DCs so far tell me about themselves (usually my DCs wont talk to me) and got some very interesting answers

eg one I asked him what job he had but he answered me in a foreign language. When I looked up the word, the language turned out to be Manderine (sp? ..type of chinese?) and the word was the word for stablehand. As I grew up in a country area where their is no chinese (only one who did badmington for a year with me but he used to talk in english as no other chinese), I dont know how I could of picked up a chinese word to give a correct response to my question. Maybe the word was just coincidence? (maybe I had a past life in which I spoke chinese?? if I did I dont remember it).

Another DC gave me a first name, it was a name extremely uncommon in my own country (I only ever have known one person in my country with that name) and when I asked her where she lived, she gave me the name of a town I'd never heard of. The DC had an American type of accent.

When I looked up that town, turns out it exists and in fact only exists in America!, a couple of towns had that name in America and the DCs first name, is very common in America. There was actually several with that first name in that town. All Coincidence? sighs it could be, it doesnt prove anything but it is very interesting.

I was soo very annoyed with myself for not asking for a last name too. (I didnt at the time as I was worried I was going to forget the strange town name). I'd love to find someone who had a mutual shared dream with me, who doesnt know me at all. I'll keep trying. (Ive had a mutual dream with my daughter but its the only dream sharing Ive so far had).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Characters”