threatening characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
deric23

threatening characters

Postby deric23 » 05 Jan 2017 20:17

I'm beginning to think threatening dream characters represent my own fears. I just can't get conscious enough to confront or question them

RnRDino

Re: threatening characters

Postby RnRDino » 07 Jan 2017 13:03

Results can be found with greater ease by visualizing them passively. Try not think of them as something you can make happen but as something that will happen. Briefly acknowledge how it is that you want to influence dream and then move on to other thoughts. Try doing this at least a few times a day. Thinking actively about a desired result will sometimes work for me but only when done for a good solid 10-15 mins where I fall asleep still thinking of it.

PumpkinofDreams

Postby PumpkinofDreams » 13 Jan 2017 21:44

They could be manifestation of your fears. They could also be your subconcious warning you of something bothering you, something you're purposely avoiding. Think, why is it threatening. What makes it threatening.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 14 Jan 2017 01:52

It seems like I have often dreamed about threatening characters and situations at times when I've been experiencing significant emotional conflicts, challenges, or big changes in my life, or when I felt "stuck", anxious, or depressed. Difficult situations with family or friends, or at school or work, or in the larger community, or disturbing daily news reports, can evoke dream about threats and conflict.

In lucid dreams, it is possible to fight an opponent, or make yourself huge and fierce, or fly away. Or, you can try to talk to threatening characters. For instance, say, "What do you represent?" - "Why are you chasing me?" - "I want to be your friend."

Lucid dreams may be infrequent, so it is also be helpful to keep a dream journal, and think about how the dream may symbolize and relate to your inner world and outer daily life. Draw, or make other creative expressions of important dreams.

Try writing a different, more positive ending to a negative dream, especially for recurrent, troubling dreams.

See if you can find a trusted friend, relative, or therapist to talk to about difficult life problems.

Here are some interesting articles -
(1) "Overcoming Nightmares - Lucidity Institute - lucidity.com

(2) "Getting Rid of Repeating Nightmares: A Simple ..." - Huffington Post - huffingtonpost.com

(3) "14 Tips For Getting Rid of Nightmares" - Articles - dreamstudies.org - Ryan Hurd

(4) "An Interview With Barry Krakkow, MD, On PTSD and Sleep - AMHC - amhc.org

(5) Website - Health Journeys - healthjourneys.com
Home - Click - "Guided imagery 101"
Products - audio CDs - Example - "Relieve stress" - click - audio sample

(6) Books - by Carl Jung, psychiatrist
"Memories, Dreams, Reflections"
"Jung On Active Imagination"

Return to “Dream Characters”