RL "enemies" becoming dream friends

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
Lyra

RL "enemies" becoming dream friends

Postby Lyra » 08 Jan 2017 17:44

A common dream theme for me is what I call "real-life correction" in which I'll wind up befriending a dream character who represents an "enemy" in waking life. Now, I use the term 'enemy' loosely because I am personally extremely uncomfortable with contention and strive to be on good terms with everyone. I don't like to consider anyone an enemy. However, there are times where I feel as though I am perceived as an enemy and all I want in these scenarios is to make things better.

I should note that these type of dreams are not always lucid for me. In fact, rarely so. But I tend to be happy with the result none-the-less. Whether lucid or not, I typically become affectionate with post-enemy characters and it sometimes transforms into a sex dream. The latter makes me feel like I am a bonobo at heart, seeing sex as the solution to all conflict! :lol:

Anyway, I guess I am wondering how common it is to experience these types of dreams. Since I rarely become lucid enough to fully indulge in these scenarios, I'd be particularly interested to know of any fully lucid experiences. All comments/experiences are welcome! :mrgreen:
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Summerlander

Re: RL "enemies" becoming dream friends

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jan 2017 19:20

I relate to your idealism. Life is too short for quarrels. If everybody could be constantly aware of the fact that everybody's time is limited, then we might start being nicer to one another.

Why not make this limited time that is human life worthwhile for everyone? Of course, there are individuals who appear to be consumed by hatred and---as in the case of psychopaths---extreme schadenfreude. It would be nice to find an effective cure for such 'ills'.

I have had lucid dreams that have turned sexual with characters that represent enmity. It's the brain saying, 'Let's make love, not war---it's far more rewarding!' I guess. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Lyra

Postby Lyra » 11 Jan 2017 21:58

I relate to your idealism. Life is too short for quarrels. If everybody could be constantly aware of the fact that everybody's time is limited, then we might start being nicer to one another.

Why not make this limited time that is human life worthwhile for everyone? Of course, there are individuals who appear to be consumed by hatred and---as in the case of psychopaths---extreme schadenfreude. It would be nice to find an effective cure for such 'ills'.

Yes, we do indeed seem to be on the same page here! :) As for those consumed with hatred, I find that most of them (seemingly) want love and to be loved just as much or more than I do but for whatever reason lack the self control or introspection to see it. It's always really sad to notice this in others and not know how to reach them.

But yes, then there are also the psychopaths; in cases of psychopaths I just try to keep my distance. Agreed, if only there were such a cure.

'schadenfreude' ... haven't heard that word in a while but now I have the song from Avenue Q in my head. :lol: (it's a good one to have, so thank ya!)

I have had lucid dreams that have turned sexual with characters that represent enmity. It's the brain saying, 'Let's make love, not war---it's far more rewarding!' I guess. :D

More rewarding .... yes, exactly!!! My brain is sometimes a nuisance, but in this case it is spot on!
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jan 2017 02:05

'Schadenfreude' ... yes, perhaps I've been reading too much lately. :mrgreen:

It's sad that psychopaths are victims of their own neurochemistry. I would ultimately blame them for wrongdoing. :|

I think everybody's brains can be a nuisance sometimes---which is why I practise meditation in an attempt to mitigate this. Lucid dreaming can also help. But sometimes our heads are in the right place and, like you said, this is one of those occasions.

The two of us are certainly quite capable of empathy and compassion. I would still avoid the psychopath, though. It's better that way. ;-)

Who's Avenue Q? Enlighten me ... :)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Lucid_Emo

Postby Lucid_Emo » 13 Jan 2017 21:58

This is a cool dream topic! I don't really have lucid dreams relating to other people. I try to avoid dream characters, they usually just cause trouble and interrupt my lucid dream, causing me to lose lucidity.

However, dream characters often play a starring role in my non lucid dreams. I don't think I've ever had a dream about my enemies becoming friends, but I have had dreams where my friends are my enemies. :(

Haha your sex thing cracked me up. I've never thought about dream sex, I'm too young for sex in general. But I have had dreams with unexpected loves. Most of the time if I have a boyfriend in the dream, it is my crush, but several times I went on a dream date with the random boy I passed by in the halls. XD Sometimes these loves are even boys who I would consider enemies.
Lucid Dreams So Far: 5

Current Goal: Trying to get back on my old habits, start recording my dreams again, rekindle my self awareness, and have another productive lucid dream.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Jan 2017 17:00

Oops! Made a mistake above. I meant to say I would ultimately not blame psychopaths. :oops:

Yes, it's true that by interacting with dream characters one runs a higher risk of losing lucidity. So you have to be cautious. It's a good idea not to get too involved in dream plots that have nothing to do with an action plan.

If I must interact with a dream character in a lucid dream, I usually rub my hands together as I talk to them and I try not to focus on their lips when they speak. It seems to work well for me.

- Padmasambhava

Gypsy Moth

Postby Gypsy Moth » 18 Jun 2017 21:58

This topic intrigues me because I've noticed also that some of my worst foes in waking life are often docile in dreaming. Not always, but sometimes. One man in particular has been very ruthless and cruel to me for years (no, not a relationship) but in dreams he is always apologetic and mild, begging forgiveness.

When I pondered about this it occurred to me that people have two sides to themselves. 1. a spirit side and 2. a personality formed after birth. And, some people can have a good spirit but has adopted such a perverse personality in order to survive certain ordeals after birth, that their two sides can become as different as night and day.

In dreaming we see the naked truth of situations. In fact, I find this to be the #1 value of lucid dreaming. Many a time have I found the truth to a confusing or deceptive situation in waking life via lucid dreams.

Return to “Dream Characters”