Are your dream chararcters effected by lucidity, if so how?

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
lucidinthe sky

Are your dream chararcters effected by lucidity, if so how?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Feb 2013 06:45

I've been wondering if and how our dream characters are effected by lucidity. When we dream it makes sense that every character is there for a reason. They have some purpose, some job to do, role to play/etc. Maybe they come to tell us something. When we become lucid, I think we may be trying to "repurpose" them so it gets confusing internally for us. Maybe the one we pick out for a conversation was never intended to speak. Or had expected a completely different conversation to take place.

Another thing I've noticed is that in non-lucid dreams, dream characters speak to us in the symbolic language of the dream world which is different than the every day language we use. When we are speaking to them, maybe they are confused because it's not there normal language. The answers I've gotten so far from dream characters in lucid dreams have much less value than what I've gotten in non-lucids. Maybe that's because I am asking the wrong questions or in the wrong language.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Re: Are your dream chararcters effected by lucidity, if so h

Postby Peter » 04 Feb 2013 07:23

I find more and more that the dream characters are approaching me and there are about 2 or 3 that I see often. They will look different like actors but if I see them in a crowd and get their attention they will laugh at me and then we will start talking like normal. This trait has developed in the last few months.

I am starting to think that our expectations and strength of intent have a lot to do with how the DC will interact with us and at the present point in our native language and by conversation is the normal way to converse so I dont how to proceed from here.

There is one DC that has stopped a dream in its tracks and gave me a good lecture and a new direction for dreaming - that was a one off at this stage but he (was in male form) told me to ask anytime and he will be there to assist.

Interesting topic this one
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Feb 2013 02:00

lucidinthe sky wrote:Maybe the one we pick out for a conversation was never intended to speak. Or had expected a completely different conversation to take place.
In my experience, once a conversation starts it feels like I am talking to the same person that I always do. Is it my subconscious I don't know, but it has little personality and often becomes a voice in my head as the conversation continues. (I lose track of 'who' it was and just start talking to a voice while still in a lucid dream scene).

However, it is not the same as talking to yourself as we all do from time to time. I 'hear' the voice separately from my internal dialogue. Perhaps our psyche is composted of several view points, (id, ego, superego, other, call it what you will), and in a dream state they incarnate themselves a real people, or animals, or even a plant once! Yes I spoke to a plant. But no matter what form it takes, it feels very familiar, like I am talking to a friend no matter how how it started or what form they take. (That is just one type, but it seems no matter who I pick out in a crowd and decide to speak with, if they don't ignore me, they become that same type I know all to well. Maybe it has a lot to do with what I expect.)

But back to your main question: are dream character's affected by OUR lucidity. Perhaps they are. When lucid we start thinking with a cognitive mind and yet they are coming from another recess of ourselves that may not use language to speak at all. Let's face it, we were alive for quite a few years before we learned to speak. Our true selves think without words and use emotion and see the bigger picture. I think dream characters represent that side of us and in order to communicate with them properly we need to somehow learn and understand THEIR language.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Feb 2013 20:10

Peter wrote: I find more and more that the dream characters are approaching me and there are about 2 or 3 that I see often. They will look different like actors but if I see them in a crowd and get their attention they will laugh at me and then we will start talking like normal. This trait has developed in the last few months.

Was curious if you have seen an evolution in the type/quality of conversations with DCs that got you to this point. It looks like a lot of people including myself, have fairly shallow conversations, if at all. It's as if we aren't prepared for them to speak.

Peter wrote: I am starting to think that our expectations and strength of intent have a lot to do with how the DC will interact with us and at the present point in our native language and by conversation is the normal way to converse so I dont how to proceed from here.

Intent and expectation have so much to do with what happens in dreams. If you can learn to direct those two, you can have more meaningful experiences. We have to communicate with them in our native language as you say, but may have to decode their responses as they might be in dream language. That's what I've seen in some cases.

Peter wrote: There is one DC that has stopped a dream in its tracks and gave me a good lecture and a new direction for dreaming - that was a one off at this stage but he (was in male form) told me to ask anytime and he will be there to assist.

Interesting topic this one

I'm hoping to start seeing some of these more than one time and hopefully have another chance to continue the conversation. I will start asking for this as well and try to direct my intent in that direction.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Feb 2013 20:21

HAGART wrote: In my experience, once a conversation starts it feels like I am talking to the same person that I always do. Is it my subconscious I don't know, but it has little personality and often becomes a voice in my head as the conversation continues. (I lose track of 'who' it was and just start talking to a voice while still in a lucid dream scene).

As far as I know, they are all the same person, but different aspects of ourselves. I think that can encompass a lot more different personalities than we realize.

HAGART wrote: But back to your main question: are dream character's affected by OUR lucidity. Perhaps they are. When lucid we start thinking with a cognitive mind and yet they are coming from another recess of ourselves that may not use language to speak at all. Let's face it, we were alive for quite a few years before we learned to speak. Our true selves think without words and use emotion and see the bigger picture. I think dream characters represent that side of us and in order to communicate with them properly we need to somehow learn and understand THEIR language.

My experience has been that in non-lucid dreams the entire conversation is in dream language since the whole thing is structured that way, but when I become lucid, instead of having a plan and lines to speak, everyone is forced to kind of ad-lib. I guess you can adjust to this and create a more meaningful dialog than the kind zombie-like respsonses that many are getting, including myself. That's what I'm interested in developing.

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Feb 2013 09:28

In a lucid dream the DC's might be reflecting your own doubt, I now have normal conversations with a few DC's and started this a while back by simply telling them to stop their nonsense and talk normally to me. Only a few are like this and it takes a good deep lucid to get them sorted but it works. I have also asked them to speak slower and that worked as well to get clear speech. The key might be your own intent and conviction and that is a core element of being able to get lucid and hold the state.
Now I expect to have a normal conversation with about 3 DC's and had one nice dream where I was in a lab talking about and looking at models and inventions so it can be done from time to time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 09 Feb 2013 18:27

Peter wrote:In a lucid dream the DC's might be reflecting your own doubt, I now have normal conversations with a few DC's and started this a while back by simply telling them to stop their nonsense and talk normally to me. Only a few are like this and it takes a good deep lucid to get them sorted but it works. I have also asked them to speak slower and that worked as well to get clear speech. The key might be your own intent and conviction and that is a core element of being able to get lucid and hold the state.
Now I expect to have a normal conversation with about 3 DC's and had one nice dream where I was in a lab talking about and looking at models and inventions so it can be done from time to time

I'll try these techniques and see what happens. Been struggling to have an LD lately, hate these dry spells but at this point it takes a tremendous amount of energy and will for me to lucid dream and I just can't keep up that level all of the time. Hopefully I'll have something to report soon.

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 22 Mar 2013 06:18

In lucid dreaming every character has its own problems.

Thyraize

Postby Thyraize » 29 Mar 2013 17:36

I haven't been lucid that often., but the first time I met a girl I know in real life, and we talked for a while - can't remember about what - until I told her I was dreaming, then she just disagreed and showed me something.
Second time I went to a swimming pool through a kind of dream door/portal like thing, where I met someone I talk to overthere every week. I told him I was dreaming, and he looked at me as if I was crazy, then asked me to proof it. I made what I call a dream window in the wall, so that we could see another place. There were wolves there and then he believed me. That's all DC's I've met in dreams so far, but yeah, I'd say they are affected by me being lucid.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Mar 2013 20:52

Peter wrote:In a lucid dream the DC's might be reflecting your own doubt, I now have normal conversations with a few DC's and started this a while back by simply telling them to stop their nonsense and talk normally to me. Only a few are like this and it takes a good deep lucid to get them sorted but it works. I have also asked them to speak slower and that worked as well to get clear speech.

My DC's speak to me this way also. I mean, most of them start to speak very fast. Sometimes when they speak i cannot hear them. I always have to say to them to start over because i'm not hearing them and then i have to say to speak slower.

Return to “Dream Characters”