Have you ever killed a Dream Character and if so How?

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
HAGART

Re: Have you ever killed a Dream Character and if so How?

Postby HAGART » 12 Apr 2016 00:39

HAGART wrote:But I must say, if you claim to be able to teach lucid dreaming in 15 minutes as your signature suggests, you deserve to be scrutinized.

I take that back. I read your tagline more carefully, and think I got it wrong. You are simply saying that once you get good at it, the process takes 15 minutes, not that you learn it in 15 minutes, right? I can agree with that.

Here's a Narcissistic Personality Quiz:
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

I may have been wrong to label Summerlander a narcissist, and will have to take that back too, and gladly will if I'm wrong. Perhaps you just have an above average confidence.

I tend to take everything back and am so unassured of my self. I only scored a 3 on that quiz which is not good. It's best to be toward the middle.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Apr 2016 10:39

Well, I may have narcissistic moments from time to time, but, overall, I'd say I'm quite the opposite. I could be much better and the instances where I dislike myself are far more numerous. A while ago, on 'The Shocking Truth' thread, I said the following:

'I'm not enlightened. I never claimed to be despite the fact that I practise meditation. You may be right that I have a proclivity for egoism but wrong to say that I'm not humble enough to reveal my weaknesses.

'It has been said that the Napolean Complex is a myth, that confirmation bias is at play whenever it is said that a short person is angry because of their stature. It is true that a short person can experience anger--like any other human being--regardless of their size, but I also happen to think that there is some truth to the Napoleonic condition; not necessarily in the aggressive or tyrannical manner (which brings me to point out that Napoleon Bonaparte himself was fairly sized and only looked small next to his army), but in the sense that one is made less confident and more cynical about the world by one's bantam frame.

'Speaking as a lilliputian myself, I can attest that cynicism is rife in my mind. I am one of those who bothered to find out how many people die every second and imagines that an average of 100 will have perished since one started to read this post until the end of this sentence. Perhaps my shortness--both physically and civically (let's face it, I haven't achieved anything particularly impressive as yet and probably never will to Marie Curie's extent)--is in part responsible for my slightly misanthropic attitude, but it would also be true to say that as much as I don't blame myself for my mediocrity, I don't blame others for their shortcomings either. I don't judge people when they make fair observations, either, however insensitive such spoken truths may seem.

'Let the world's inhabitants be free to discriminate rationally and express their favouritisms. (Everybody is entitled to have a preference.) For example, your partner cannot be blamed for thinking about dumping you for the more passionate and compatible ex who is suddenly back in the picture, just as my friend Sarah is not ethically transgressing by stating that taller men make women feel safer as partners. Likewise, a woman in a Bustle survey about penis size can be forgiven for saying, "It depends on what the person is looking for. Looking for fun? Go big! Looking for love then compromise!" regarding the sexual utility of the phallus. One may, of course, disagree with the advice to "compromise" by riposting that one should not have to as either one's partner meets one's standards or incompatibility is the case. But one certainly can't disagree with the lady for claiming that "big" is the "fun" way; such is undeniably true for her. (Women obsess about penis size as much as men but for slightly different reasons--in a similar vein, the former opt for taller partners and the latter tend to be indifferent.)

'One of the perks of meditation is that it allows one to come to terms with one's current state of affairs, mind, and why such is so. Meditation has allowed me to accept my condition--or at least, when I'm feeling down, to make it more bearable--and to make sense of the arising thoughts, emotions, and the propensity for rumination. If someone jokes at my expense--perhaps a comical remark about my stature is made--I no longer think of such individual as rude and insensitive; if I became angry every time someone was honest to my face about my tiddly frame I'd be angry almost all the time.

'I wouldn't want to censor people for being brutally honest just because my ego at times doesn't want to be reminded of such attribute. I should appreciate the honesty and learn to live with it. Focusing on these possible upsides can provide a healthy perspective: my friends laugh (triggers happiness); it makes me look humble and non-threatening (useful in most situations); others can feel superior and better about themselves. Less of the proverbial Napoleon and more of the nice little person. Personality can make a huge difference on how one comes across, and a modus operandi can certainly impact on one's mental health.

'How humble and revealling is that?'

Despite this, I believe I am mostly confident and comfortable with myself (I don't think about these things all the time) save for those rare moments when I'm a narcissist wannabe. :mrgreen:

I took part in the quiz and scored '4'. (Entitlement: 2.00; Self-sufficiency: 1.00; Exhibitionism: 1.00; others: 0.)

Quiz Interpretation:

Below you will find a brief interpretation of each narcissism trait and what your score relative to that trait may indicate about you.

Authority

Authority refers to a person's leadership skills and power. People who score higher on authority like to be in charge and gain power, often for power's sake alone.

Self-Sufficiency

This trait refers to how self-sufficient a person is, that is, how much you rely on others versus your own abilities to meet your needs in life.

Superiority

This trait refers to whether a person feels they are more superior than those around them.

Exhibitionism

This trait refers to a person's need to be the center of attention, and willingness to ensure they are the center of attention (even at the expense of others' needs).

Exploitativeness

This trait refers to how willing you are to exploit others in order to meet your own needs or goals.

Vanity

This trait refers to a person's vanity, or their belief in one's own superior abilities and attractiveness compared to others.

Entitlement

This trait refers to the expectation and amount of entitlement a person has in their lives, that is, unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with one's expectations. People who score higher on this trait generally have a greater expectation of entitlement, while those who score lower expect little from others or life.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Apr 2016 08:23

I stand corrected. You are not a narcissist, which is what I suspected after thinking about it more, and knowing what that term actually means, now.

I'm surprised you scored so low however, since you write with great confidence and self assurance, here. But that is only about ideas, not yourself. So no, you are not a narcissist after all.

Robert Forsythe can call you want he wants, but that label is off the table now.

I'm sure you will wholeheartedly agree that you can be very harsh to others at times. You have a chip on your shoulder, and an axe to grind with beliefs in Religion, OBE's or Astral Projection. However, you reserve it for those who go toe to toe with you in a mental battle of wits, only.

I'll leave you both to it. Carry on!

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 13 Apr 2016 17:51

Incidentally, if Summerlander was a narcissist, he would just make up the numbers, right? Or just answer questions on the test with a biased slant? So what does this prove?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure he's not one, as I've known him long enough. Self-assurance doesn't equate to self-love. If I could intuit that Enra Traz was actually Summerlander, I can probably intuit that Summerlander is not a narcissist.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Apr 2016 10:27

Summerlander is not a narcissist, I agree, and although anyone could lie and make up a result, I truly believe him too.

Here is evidence that Summerlander isn't:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17350

However, I need to take yet another thing back:
HAGART wrote:you reserve it for those who go toe to toe with you in a mental battle of wits, only.

You don't always reserve it for those who start a debate with you, but instigate them yourself at times. I read another thread that confirms this. I hope you realize the obvious moment when, in this otherwise normal thread, it turned sour when you purposely sought out an argument, perhaps due to boredom, and a fish took the Enra Traz - Summerlander bait.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17493

What ensued was expected and when I saw the thread was locked, I already knew before reading that Summerlander must have been involved.

If a phenomenon keeps happening over and over and over again, isn't it worth researching? I say this to help you and better yourself which only you can do through introspection, seeing it for yourself.

I didn't want this to become an intervention, so let's get back to killing dream characters, not helping our wake-walking dream characters we call 'self'. :mrgreen:

But of course, reply and stand up for it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2016 10:40

That must have been one of my narcissistic moments--and yes, I was bored and wanted a bit of action. In retrospect, I'm not proud of that because I shouldn't have to do that for entertainment. But I don't regret it completely because some characters were exposed ... apart from me. :mrgreen:

But overall, I don't think I'm a narcissist. I guess ... 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Apr 2016 11:06

It was not your proudest moment, no.

It wasn't anyone's. Perhaps I just expect more from you because you can sometimes speak so clearly, and hit a nail on the head with so much precision.

Even if I need a dictionary to understand, most of the time.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2016 16:18

I just like to be descriptive and try to expand my vocabulary every day. I suppose I'm the same when it comes to my art. I love to combine images and words. I'm fond of illustration. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Characters”