Killing Dream Characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
TimeTravelerCat

Killing Dream Characters

Postby TimeTravelerCat » 01 May 2013 14:31

Ive been thinking about this for awhile...Is killing DC's bad? The way I have looked at this is that you are actually killing parts of your subconscious....making projections from your mind vanish. I don't know exactly. If anyone has any good advice to explain a little bit of this to me, please let me know.

LucidLink

Re: Killing Dream Characters

Postby LucidLink » 01 May 2013 15:11

You will find plenty of people on here who will say it's nothing, but I believe killing a DC isn't much different then killing a person in waking life. So it is very bad. This is just my belief though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 May 2013 01:38

You're not 'really' killing anyone or anything. It's just an intense visualisation - an "active imagining" as Carl Jung would probably have put it. Think about those dreams where someone kills you and you wake up or have an out-of-body experience in the dream. You still live.

When it comes to dream people they are not real. They are characters conjured up in your mind. Robert Waggoner has a good term: "dream figures".

A figure can take up any shape or form. I've had plenty of death and darkness in my dreams and I'm still of sound mind (I think, LOL). One can even use killing in lucid dreams as a way to release tension and relieve stress.

That's my two cents, anyway...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

TimeTravelerCat

Postby TimeTravelerCat » 02 May 2013 02:49

Thanks for the input guys!

One thing i wanted to clarify (in my opinion) was that, in a sense, the subconscious is projecting emotions/wants in the form of people that come into your lucid dream. And thus, killing the people in your dream is like killing those "emotions" from your subconscious.

Thanks
~ Meow

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 May 2013 03:29

Its all in eye of the beholder, if I get into a dream that is seeded by the fact that I have a flu or some illness and I want to see the germs and get rid of them they may appear as a DC and I will kill them to help with healing.

I have said this before and that is when the dream ends then all the DC's are dead unless you think that they exist all time.

How you feel about what you do is the issue
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 May 2013 09:18

I also don't think killing dream figures in lucid dreams is killing emotions and subconscious desires if indeed they represent that.

I'd say you are merely erasing "expressions" in the dream world, but, the trigger, or source, lives on for as long as it needs to. If you kill a dream person that represents jealousy of someone in waking like, you might still feel jealous and this jealousy may manifest a different representation in a different dream (or even the same one) thus giving you another opportunity to understand where your feelings are coming from if you decide to probe the dream character.

I'd also like to state that one can feel much better after having killed in a dream. I'll go with Peter on this one and say that it all depends on how you view your experiences. But killing emotions? No. You may change them due to how the dream event might influence your stream of thought, or they might remain the same.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 02 May 2013 14:19

Summerlander wrote:I also don't think killing dream figures in lucid dreams is killing emotions and subconscious desires if indeed they represent that.

I'd say you are merely erasing "expressions" in the dream world, but, the trigger, or source, lives on for as long as it needs to. If you kill a dream person that represents jealousy of someone in waking like, you might still feel jealous and this jealousy may manifest a different representation in a different dream (or even the same one) thus giving you another opportunity to understand where your feelings are coming from if you decide to probe the dream character.

I'd also like to state that one can feel much better after having killed in a dream. I'll go with Peter on this one and say that it all depends on how you view your experiences. But killing emotions? No. You may change them due to how the dream event might influence your stream of thought, or they might remain the same.

It's nothing major, and nothing to get defensive about, just something I noticed. You say killing DCs can help you feel better, I don't doubt it! Killing people in waking life would give you that same good feeling too ;)

See the issue? It's never healthy to kill anything. Plus, ANYTHING can make you feel better, instead of killing people go work out or something haha.

This is a care free and light response, I understand you guys think killing is perfectly fine!

(I think this goes along the lines of, some people think it's ok to slaughter animals because they are "lesser" then us. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who support DC killing also support animal testing, animal slaughter and abuse! But then again, I just wouldn't be surprised. I'm not saying all people who support DC killing have no respect for animals and think it's ok to do those things to animals)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 May 2013 18:19

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting defensive about anything. I do work out but it doesn't compare to killing in dreams. Working out can make you tired and cause pain (no pain no gain lol). Killing in dreams makes me feel like I'm in control and powerful; it is also taboo in real life (murder) and the dream presents you with opportunities to do what you can't, shouldn't, or wouldn't in real life. I find it exciting that lucid dreaming gives the opportunity to explore new behaviours.

In saying all of the above, I am also a meat eater and would kill animals both to survive and for palatal pleasure. This, however, does not mean I don't value them (if I like to eat them and feel that I need them in my life then I must value them). The fact that I kill in dreams doesn't mean I wouldn't do the humane thing and kill animals in real life as quickly and as painless as possible. It is, after all, a dog eat dog world so to speak. Or lion eat zebra... Lol!

- Padmasambhava

tea

Postby tea » 02 May 2013 23:25

okay, so here's the thing. at least my thing. no not that thing. ;)

i'm pretty certain that you really can't tell whether it's something bad, or not. or better: in my opinion you can't generalize it - everybody has to know/decide for himself or herself. (also it's depends on the situation)

explanations via examples:

case 1:
you dream of killing somebody or something for no comprehensible reason (or maybe because in that dream you even enjoy it).
what i think about that:
i'd try to figure out where this idea came from.
like working on questions like: what is bugging me, that my subconscious decided to deal with it this way? there must be something that i'm afraid of (even when i did it for fun) - what is it?

case 2:
it's a nightmare. something is threatening you or maybe something (or someone) you like.
finally you kill the enemy.
what i think about that:
depending on how it feels i'd say that's definitely nothing to worry about, because to me thats a way of solving problems.
in waking life, when you manage to sort out a problem, you could metaphorically say you "killed" the problem.
i see dreams as the language of the subconsciousness - and it loves to talk in metaphors (you could say we're all poets). so killing something in a dream, can be like getting rid of something you're struggling with.
bere aware that putting somthing (or someone) to death, the problem does not have to be solved. but if that killing was an act of supression, your subconscious will still find a way to express what it has to say.
so i don't think it can do you any significant psychological harm.

but afterall i think that killing DCs is almost always a waste of time. why should you do it? why not decide not to do it but instead work on that thought right inside that dream - it's a great opportunity to find out what's bugging you. don't forget: technically you're hanging out with your subconscious.
for example ask the dream if there is anything bothering you and if, what it is. also (if there is something) you can straight forward ask the dream for some advice how to solve it in a healthy way. check this: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dream-self.html

once (when i was a kid and had no idea lucid dreaming had a name) i dreamt about something evil chasing me. i knew it would harm me, if it reached me.
while running i realized i was dreaming so i instantly stoppped, turned around and yelled: "stop!". i angrily walked toward the demon-thing, telling it to finally calm down and stop scaring me. i was still afraid but that fear somehow pushed me and gave me the strength to stand up against it and acting like: "i'm the boss here, stop it!"
i can't remember everything but i somehow went to a semi-lucid state and the monster has turned into a teddybear. we were sitting next to each other, talking about what's going on.
i remember asking it something like: "why did you chase me before? why do you want to hurt me?" i also remember having tears in my eyes at that point. it felt like a very intimate and honest conversation with myself.
i'm 100% not sure what the teddy's responded but he told me that he's not trying to hurt me, but rather looking for help. when he said that, i suddenly felt his pain.
i hugged him and told him that everything is gonna be okay and that i'll hear him out.

back then, i didn't REALLY find out what the problem was but it was a very special dream which made me feel happy and more self-conscious for many days.
what i want to say is that i could have killed the demon but i'm glad i didn't decide to do it. i don't think it would have been THAT productive.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 May 2013 23:45

sometimes its like eating a cake, you know you have had enough but its just good to eat and eat and eat. Its not what you always do but at times so what. Anyway some good thoughts here in this thread
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Dream Characters”