Killing Dream Characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?

Re: Killing Dream Characters

Postby StrangeDreamer » 22 Sep 2013 12:51

I've had dreams about killing DC's but usually only when they're trying to cause me harm, and sometimes they're evil. I don't just do it for fun though, there's always a pretty good reason. I do however remember one particularly disturbing dream about a serial killer who, at certain times in the dream, I took the role of. In this dream I didn't actually kill anyone, but I remember watching it happen and then having blood on my hands and clothes...I won't ever have a dream like that again if I can help it.
"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." -Eames (Inception)

Postby LucidLink » 22 Sep 2013 13:52

I suppose there is nothing "morally" wrong to killing in the dream, although I would never do such a thing.

Why? It's build neural pathways to further make you more violent. If something attacks you in a dream, don't handle it violently. You don't have to, so why would you?
Solving problems with violence in lucid dreams makes you more likely to solve problems with violence in waking life. It's the same reason I don't like having dream sex.

It builds neural pathways to program your behavior!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Number Six

Postby Number Six » 02 Oct 2013 10:50

I think it might have some merit.

Exploring the concept of death, for example. Perhaps I'm projecting my own demons here, but I believe that everyone, to some degree, has a killer instinct. I don't think this has any bearing on the person - it's just animal nature...Jung called it Hintergedanken...the ulterior motive at the back of the mind that is always there to offer contrast.

For example:

Create a scenario where you can methodically, sadistically torture/rape/kill someone you could imagine doing this to.

Create a scenario where that person does the same to you, or where you can at least understand the opposite perspective and thus gain insight into your Self.

Create a scenario where you fight to the death with a dream character that is specifically designed to kill you.

Mindlessly killing DCs because you think 'i'm just dreaming' is really stupid, imo. It's little different from someone who mindlessly kills insects because 'they're just bugs'. And with little exception, people like that tend to have poor self control and limited ability to perceive consequence / understand their own motivations.

Causality doesn't stop working just because you're asleep. Imagine someone who compulsively has sex in says a lot about that person's subconscious, and it won't do anything to improve their paraphilia during waking life. Probably the opposite.

Return to “Dream Characters”