Is a virtual dream machine possible?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Re: Is a virtual dream machine possible?

Postby HAGART » 15 Aug 2013 01:48

deschainXIX wrote:http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/07/humans-have-a-lot-more-than-five-senses/

I read that and it is very informative and well written. (I browsed a few more articles and the most hilarious one was 'people who look EXACTLY the same in every photo) :lol:

But back to senses. In my layman's terms I noted to myself that we have external and internal senses. So I am right about that. And any device that would simulate a virtual reality as real as this one would need to trigger all those.

In most of my lucid dreams I don't have a sense of body as I put it. They are mostly visual and audio only, with perhaps a little taste and touch and that is it. However, I did have a very vivid dream once, in which I had propioception and had a full sense of a body, a dream body if you will. When I moved my arms, I knew where they were relative to the rest of my body and even felt like I was straining my muscles with physical effort and things had weight to them when I held them in my hand. Even in the dream I thought to myself, if someone took a brain scan of me right now, it would show the exact same centers of the brain firing and illuminating as if I were doing it in real life. The illusion of the dream was real. (It really makes you think....)

And as for the sense of taste. I've heard other say that dream-food is not the same are real food. You seldom chew it and feel it go down your esophagus. Taste is actually very complex and I am a bit of a foodie and amateur chef. What people forget is that our tongues act like a giant thumb. They detect texture and temperature, and even pain when it comes to spicy food. You can even detect the ph level of food, (acidity). Taste is very complex and the best foods tantalize ALL our senses! (even the internal ones after you eat it). I guess it's no surprise that our bodies would be so focused on food, since it is most basic to our survival.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Aug 2013 01:13

I was thinking about the pros and cons of such inventions and one in particular intrigues me:
It's the surrogate body suit that you can control with your mind. The more senses the better, and of course I am talking about more than the familiar 5.

This would be beneficial for firefights and the bomb squad. However, with all new technology, the military will get involved and use it to kill each other for political gain. (so there's the first pros and cons)

But the greatest use for such a device would be Space Exploration.
Imagine that.

Perhaps the mars rover is the first rudimentary design, but imagine if you could hook up your brain to a machine and not just see Mars, but truly experience it with all your senses as though you were actually there.

Once you get a few of these surrogate robots up there you can do repairs on each of them and they should last forever as long as people maintain them. And why stop there? You could go anywhere in the universe. Jump in a black whole just to see what happens. Not only would this be a huge breakthrough for our exploration of the universe, but it would be huge for the tourism industry. "Where are you going this weekend?" "Mars." "Me too, I'll see you there!"

It's the ultimate in 'remote viewing'. And it's not a question of IF, it is a question of WHEN. Just like simple organisms sense their environment, the super-organism we have created (society), too has a desire to sense the environment beyond Earth. It's inevitable.

(And I hope the military doesn't ruin it for everybody.....) (Like Avatar)

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 19 Aug 2013 23:03

Wow, I've never thought of that. But, then again it would be so fricking expensive to get your surrogate to mars that barely anyone would be able to do it :( . :lol: Cynical deschain strikes again.
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Aug 2013 15:43

Once they are up there, the maintenance shouldn't cost too much. (Then again, I just realized they would need a power supply, but solar should be adequate and inexpensive).
And no need for huge spacecraft that need supplies, food, toilets ect. that take a heck of a lot of energy to escape the Earth's atmosphere. So it should be cheaper to send them there in the first place too. (Way less than sending humans).

It would be expensive for customers at first, like any technology, but would become affordable once there are thousands of them and there is competition in the free market that brings the price down.

EDIT: I wanted to add something, but don't want to take up more space going off tangent with another post, so I'll just write it here:
There would be a time delay with the transmissions, just like it takes about 7 minutes for light to reach Earth, the signals from Mars or even further would take time to reach Earth. So what you experience would be in the past, but if you are interacting with others on Mars, you would all be in the past together and it would work smoothly as though it was perceived as present. If you go extremely far away there could be some time issues, especially if the surrogate is traveling close to the speed of light or near a black hole it could get really wonky. :o
Last edited by HAGART on 20 Aug 2013 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Aug 2013 19:19

Yeah, true.... and also, spaceflight is getting cheaper these days.
Well said.

gleixer

Postby gleixer » 10 Mar 2014 20:51

So what if after the first time someone experienced Mars with the surrogate robots,they dream shared with other people that have experienced it. That way they get all of the experience with no risk of the military messing it up.
They say we only use a fraction of our brain's true potential. Now that's when we're awake. When we're asleep, we can do almost anything. - Inception

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Mar 2014 00:44

That may be closer to reality than you think. It's actually very possible.

Not dream sharing yet, but scientists, according to a quick search on the internet, have implanted false memories into mice. You may be able to implant the Mars experience, or any other, directly into someone's brain.

But there are still ways for the military to use that technology for evil. :evil:

You can deep too, and wonder if it's already happened, and your whole life is a false memory, like Total Recall. :ugeek:

gleixer

Postby gleixer » 11 Mar 2014 02:51

HAGART wrote:That may be closer to reality than you think. It's actually very possible.

Not dream sharing yet, but scientists, according to a quick search on the internet, have implanted false memories into mice. You may be able to implant the Mars experience, or any other, directly into someone's brain.

But there are still ways for the military to use that technology for evil. :evil:

You can deep too, and wonder if it's already happened, and your whole life is a false memory, like Total Recall. :ugeek:

:shock: That is pretty trippy
They say we only use a fraction of our brain's true potential. Now that's when we're awake. When we're asleep, we can do almost anything. - Inception

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Mar 2014 01:35

I have a Newscientist article somewhere about memory and the brain. It does assert that the Total Recall scenario is possible, although we are still a long stretch from it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Nickfan40

Postby Nickfan40 » 11 Sep 2014 01:40

In the 1990's, I read in Weekly World News, that a man named Dr. Kurt Aubert from Berne, Switzerland had invented something called a Dreamcorder. I thought that was pretty neat until I learned that it was a hoax! :o

That would be great to record your dreams during the night and watch them the next morning. I saw that on an episode of Freddy's Nightmares called, Freddy's Tricks or Treats; it had Mariska Hargitay in it. The guy ended up getting trapped inside his TV/VCR. Freddy: Stick *that* in your VCR and suck on it! :lol: I've had some pretty interesting dreams I'd like record, but I couldn't put them on YouTube; it would embarrass certain celebrities.

Have any of you tried the CDs that Dr. Fred Alan Wolfe has out? He says you can make stuff appear out of nowhere, and time travel physically. I've heard that it is much safer to go quantumly, though.

Return to “Dream Science”