Illusions and Changing Perspective (and Lucid Dreams)

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Re: Illusions and Changing Perspective (and Lucid Dreams)

Postby HAGART » 09 Jan 2014 23:12

I thought I'd breath new life into this subject which fascinates me and I believe is an important hurdle to overcome when in a lucid dream. I'll share another example of illusions in lucid dreams.

I read in a magazine (and this is how it all started) that one of the simplest illusions in nature that we can all relate to is looking in a clear, still pond. You can see the reflection of the clouds above as clear as if they were right there below you. But with a simple mental adjustment, and perhaps a slight re-focusing of the eyes we can also see the bottom of the pond just as clear, ignoring the reflection.

So this is what I did in a lucid dream:

My Dream Journal. November 25, 2013 wrote:It was a sunny day on a suburban street I didn't recognize. I saw a puddle on the ground that reflected the sky above with clouds. It was crystal clear and reminded me of illusions. I started to feel like if I dove in, I would be in the sky so I did. I dove in head first, arms up, and I was almost in a sky, feeling upside down, which was a strange sensation, and then I felt myself flip back right side up and I was out of the puddle again and back in the exact same place. I tried again, but I was apprehensive this time and when I did I hit the ground and could feel it in my fingers. It wasn't painful though.

If I wasn't over-thinking it, I bet I would have ended up in a sky, floating/flying around and the dream scene would have changed.

Anyway,
I haven't stopped pondering illusions and perspectives in lucid dreams. Why is this in the science section? Because we see illusions all the time when awake too, and are important if one is interested in how our minds work and perceive both reality and dreams.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Jun 2014 12:09

HAGART wrote:One thing that happened last night:

I was lucid and on a street and saw a car ahead of me in the distance, so I reached out to grab it. To my surprise I was able to pick it up and it was only a foot long, like a toy car and I could feel it in my hand. I could have sworn it was a full sized car that only appeared small because it was in the distance, but then became simply a small car in my hands after I attempted to grab it. I wasn't even trying to change my perspective of distance, but it happened on its own.

That reminded me of one of my LDs. I came across some childens toys, little houses (maybe like one would find in monoply and that. I decided to try to make all the little figurines become real life and become a landscape. I did this by imagining that I was seeing large things as small by thinking of myself being up in a plane and looking down at them in a distance. This helped bring them to life so they developed more features and of cause when the plane got closer, they became even more detailed.

It felt great to change toys into a real landscape.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jun 2014 04:10

How big or small are you in comparison to the objects you see, and what is 'up' and what is 'down'? In reality it's consistent, but in a dream we can play around with it, and the possibilities are endless.

It's all a matter of changing your perspective which doesn't occur in the eyes, but in the mind. :ugeek:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Jun 2014 07:00

HAGART wrote:How big or small are you in comparison to the objects you see, and what is 'up' and what is 'down'? In reality it's consistent , but in a dream we can play around with it, and the possibilities are endless.

It's all a matter of changing your perspective which doesn't occur in the eyes, but in the mind. :ugeek:

In reality, sight perspective that changes too.. eg houses when one looks down at them from a plane, look very little.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Science”