Psy Trance (and brain waves)

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Psy Trance (and brain waves)

Postby HAGART » 07 Mar 2014 04:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp51lt9kdA
Try and get past 5 minutes listening/watching that link without feeling something.
(WARNING: it may induce seizures). ;)

Now for the science:
My hypothesis is that it influences our pineal glands, and perhaps induces a different brain state. We have different brain waves, alpha, theta, ect., and I feel this triggers one of those. Just like a binaural beat but different...

That's just my initial hypothesis with little knowledge. Prove me wrong. I like to be proved wrong, so tell me what you think, and I have no hard feelings here.

But at the very least, this may start a conversation about brain waves and states of being, or states of perception, depending on how you word it. And I feel this "music" does that.

AND LUCID DREAMING HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT.

Tell me your thoughts. I'm curious.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Re: Psy Trance (and brain waves)

Postby Summerlander » 08 Mar 2014 01:14

Bogus. No particular type of sound, noise, or even device such as the Hemi-sync will change your brainwaves or synchronise the hemispheres. That is popular pseudoscience. They merely serve as cueing signals which may keep your mind alert as your body is falling asleep - which may help one to consciously experience hypnagogic hallucinations. There is no noticeable difference between using such machines and listening to similar sounds or musical compositions.

As for inducing OOBEs and lucid dreams non-autonomously, you have a better chance by electromagnetically simulating the left angular gyrus than messing around with the pineal gland. The latter is just a gland which has the capacity to produce psychedelic chemical compounds, namely, serotonin, melatonin, and, very likely, endogenous DMT (which may plays its role in, not only the perception of dreams, but also, perception in the waking state, too. However, it is not the pineal gland itself responsible for the magisterial creation of the mental circus that we adore. It is the cerebral cortex, in electrochemical activity, and in all its complex glory... B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Mar 2014 02:46

Bogus?
I disagree. And I'm just talking about music and sound affecting mood, not inducing lucid dreams.

I think our minds are very easily manipulated by sounds. I've heard the term, "lizard brain" come up a few times which is our deepest, and simplest level of consciousness.

But doesn't listening to it affect your mood? "Why", is another question. I don't have the answer just yet.
But the Pineal Gland intrigues me a lot.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Mar 2014 09:54

Moods can be effected by hormones. Nothing to do with brainwaves. The sounds you listen to may remind you of certain things, invoking memory and bringing certain thoughts to the foreground. Meanwhile, the beta-alpha-theta and so forth transition, as you border on sleep, will do what it must regardless.

As for the lizard brain, I wouldn't even say it's conscious. It merely reacts to stimulus and sometimes the neocortex is baffled by how fast it react without its awareness. Like the "hot pan" incidents.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 09 Mar 2014 11:22

Bogus. No particular type of sound, noise, or even device such as the Hemi-sync will change your brainwaves or synchronise the hemispheres. That is popular pseudoscience. They merely serve as cueing signals which may keep your mind alert as your body is falling asleep - which may help one to consciously experience hypnagogic hallucinations. There is no noticeable difference between using such machines and listening to similar sounds or musical compositions.

Vs

"Human auditory steady state responses to binaural and monaural beats" -D.W.F. Swartz and P. Taylor
Department of Surgery (Otolaryngology) and Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Conclusions

The dependence of the 40Hz binaural beat ASSR on stimuli at low, temporally coded tone frequencies suggests that it may objectively assess temporal sound coding ability. The phase shift across the electrode array is evidence for more than one origin of the 40Hz oscillations.
Significance

The binaural beat ASSR is an evoked response, with novel diagnostic potential, to a signal that is not present in the stimulus, but generated within the brain.

Online here: http://www.clinph-journal.com/article/S1388-2457%2804%2900373-6/abstract
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Mar 2014 19:23

Key word above: "suggests" - Emphasis on: generated within the brain. Like I said, cueing signals.

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Mar 2014 02:35

I'm still thinking about this and talking off the cuff without any scientific evidence, but that's OK. This isn't a science journal and I'm just a laymen. I feel I can talk freely here, and discuss ideas, but this is more science based than most posts here and feel it belongs in this section over any other.

I was thinking more about it, and agree that music is subjective, and will affect moods differently.

Are moods and emotions not able to be registered with brain scans? Perhaps they are more chemical than waves. But I still think music and sound can affect our state of mind. (What do you prefer, the sound of the ocean waves, or a mosquito buzzing in your ear?) They are just reverberations in the air without meaning until we give it one, and most would agree one is annoying and the other is pleasant.... (Most humans). ;)

We all know the feeling, (albeit from different songs, depending on who we are), that some are uplifting, others are depressing and some are just plane neutral. I find the Psy-Trance very neutral and makes me space out. I was reading some posts by Snaggle and looked it up again to make sure, but the Alpha-Wave state of brain activity is when we are very imaginative and in a day-dream type head space. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that). And I feel this music puts me in that state of mind. Of course the Beatles could do the same, so it may not be this music in particular and it's due to personal tastes.

But I'll end with this:
I like to question mysticism and get to the truth behind things. I wonder if the classic OM-tone-frequency, used in meditation, has any influence on the brain at all. I was already thinking this, and looked it up on the internet just now, and apparently there's a plethora of others who have already thought of it. Too many to sift through right now. It could just be psuedoscience, I know, where people try and use a little bit of science to prove a fact they already wanted to prove, but it's worth mentioning.

At least we can try to prove or debunk that for future readers of this forum.

Return to “Dream Science”