5 Intriguing Facts About Dreams

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
PKJacker

Re: 5 Intriguing Facts About Dreams

Postby PKJacker » 12 Sep 2014 04:07

2- Does dreaming serve a purpose?

I actually very recently had a nightmare which helped point a few things I was doing wrong in waking life by exploiting each thing and making something disastrous come out of it.

It served a very good purpose of opening my eyes to my mistakes that I was actually enforcing in my waking life, believing they were helpful at the time.
Three steps from bliss.

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 13 Sep 2014 03:32

PK Jacker, I am not saying you are wrong.

I am saying that dreams likely don't have any adaptive function.

Since dreams can involve conflicts that are highly personal to us, it is quite possible for a dream to provide us with information and experience.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Sep 2014 05:37

My grandmother is 92 and she is happy and still going strong. I know she doesn't dream much because she knows I'm into it so she shares a few with me from time to time with little recall. She certainly doesn't lucid dream and never has in her entire life.

So I can say, with empirical data, that proves that dreaming is certainly not evolutionarily necessary to survive.

But of course it's so damn fun! And we can also use it to better ourselves in ways we can't in waking life. But is it mandatory to survive? No. Is it mandatory to be happy? Also, no.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 13 Sep 2014 06:50

That was an insightful post, Hagart. You stated it very clearly.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Sep 2014 09:53

HAGART wrote:My grandmother is 92 and she is happy and still going strong. I know she doesn't dream much because she knows I'm into it so she shares a few with me from time to time with little recall. She certainly doesn't lucid dream and never has in her entire life..

Everyone dreams, not all remember there dreams thou.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 13 Sep 2014 11:58

To correct you, Mark Solms states that 99.999% (given a few more decimal places) of people dream (if we exclude those with brain injury to visual areas of the brain).

If you watch scientific documentaries like Nova, then this should be apparent to you.

superfly9

Postby superfly9 » 23 Sep 2014 08:03

When you talk in a lucid dream.. are you actually speaking out loud in bed? Cos it definitely feels like it..?? lol

selle

Postby selle » 16 Oct 2014 20:45

Cool facts! :) so called fun facts;)
A enthusiast when it comes to Lucid Dreaming, eager to get more experience on the subject! My website is http://learndreamcontrol.com

Return to “Dream Science”