Your own experiments

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

Your own experiments

Postby buildit » 23 Sep 2014 05:14

I'd like to hear what others have done to experiment with the limits of control they can obtain within their subconscious. Most of my experimentation has involved leaving corporeal restrictions so that I am more of an energy field than a physical presence. Scientifically this works great since the laws of the conservation of energy are in my favor as long as I avoid entropy. :lol: Seriously though I'm sort of jacked to hear what others have done as I sort of felt like I mastered controlling my dreams long ago so I stopped experimenting.
I'd even be up to suggestions on things others have tried and failed. I like a good challenge! :P
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

buildit

Re: Your own experiments

Postby buildit » 24 Sep 2014 23:05

I came up with a good one for those willing to play. While in your dream find a book that you have never read in reality and read it. It's never worked for me but I'm interested to hear what others experience. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 25 Sep 2014 21:37

I came up with one but I haven't had the chance to try it yet:
Play a board game or card game with a DC and see how well the DC plays. I decided Chess would be a good one to play with my dream friends since it requires strategy.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

buildit

Postby buildit » 25 Sep 2014 22:37

Guitar48300 wrote:I came up with one but I haven't had the chance to try it yet:
Play a board game or card game with a DC and see how well the DC plays. I decided Chess would be a good one to play with my dream friends since it requires strategy.

Does hot hands count? I remember many years ago playing hot hands against a DC. The DC was actually really good and I spent a lot of time rewinding and redoing his turns to learn what he was doing so I could avoid being slapped. A different sort of mental strategy game but it's as close as I have ever been to what you are discussing.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 26 Sep 2014 02:35

Yeah hot hands counts
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

buildit

Postby buildit » 27 Sep 2014 21:49

Tried something new today and got an awesome result! So I've talked in some other threads about using LD to preform muscle memory type exercises for athletic stuff where repetition, even in a dream, increases the speed at which the mind can preform a task. But today at the gym I turned the whole thing on it's head!

I'm not one to try to escape reality by entering deep thought realms. Sort of like day dreaming but a bit more lucid and less abstract interference from the subconscious. But my thought was, "Obviously working out in your dreams won't help get you into better shape, BUT! what about exiting reality while working out on a repetitive piece of equipment, so you didn't have to experience the exertion and boring period of working out?"

Possible but I thought if anything external stimulus and heart rate will make this impossible. Yet I wanted to try. Worst thing that could happen is I fall off the elliptical machine right? :lol: So I set the elliptical up for 30 min on a course I am comfortable doing and at a level of exercise I normally do. I know the typical stats for myself at these levels and they are as follows. 350 calories burned, avg heart rate of 130 and 120-130 steps per minute.

I began the work out and closed my eyes. I felt myself doing the familiar repetitive stepping motion and positioned my hands in from of me on the heart rate sensor mostly for stability. I usually step to the rhythm of the music on my MP3 so I have a comfortable pace. I did so now also and then searched for a mental distraction in my head. What mental activity could I envision doing that would recreate in my head a similar enough action to make my subconscious capable of maintaining my physical activity. I wasn't having an easy time finding one.

Then suddenly I had it! I was pushing an ocean liner out of a Hurricane in the Pacific and with my hands against the back was running at super speeds. The spray of ocean water was drenching me and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Suddenly it gained mass and I thought I had hit the shoreline..... I opened my eyes.

15 Minutes had passed, I was making an excessive puddle of sweat on the floor beneath me, I was stepping at 145spm and my heart rate was over 140! With 15 more minutes to go I had already burned over 220 calories. I wonder what those around me saw? at the completion of the 30 minute cycle I had 410 calories and had gone 1.6 miles.

Maybe not earth shattering but pretty cool in my book. I tried to do it again later on the stationary bike but was not very successful. I try to go to the gym ever other day so I will reattempt this Monday with any luck I'll improve the result.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 28 Sep 2014 03:18

so basically you used like a meditative type state and in your mind just really tried to think about other things whilst riding on your elliptical machine or were you literally there by the ocean similar to a dream state?

buildit

Postby buildit » 28 Sep 2014 03:24

dreamstudent wrote:so basically you used like a meditative type state and in your mind just really tried to think about other things whilst riding on your elliptical machine or were you literally there by the ocean similar to a dream state?

Just like a dream state. Funny part is it seemed like it lasted seconds but minutes passed on the machine. Hardest part was concentrating on the imagery at first and not the physical action. How cool would it be to enter a passive dream state that allowed you to remain with eyes open. It would be like remote controlling your own body! :D

buildit

Postby buildit » 29 Sep 2014 22:03

Another day working out but no success today. I really felt positive I would succeed again as I started working out. Today I started with the stationary bike so I really thought it would be easier, a far less complicated motion and less need to maintain balance being in a seated position. I will document my stats for later reference anyways. 30 min work out, 350 calories using level 14 and 15 resistance with rpms averaging 80-90 and heart rate of 135bpm.
I thought I would have success because I felt like I was detached from the activity when I starting to attempt exiting. So I was kind of doing a mental dialogue of what I would report even, "head at a 45 degree angle to the ground, breathing in thru nose out thru mouth like Tar Chi, picturing myself riding the motorcycle thru the woods or down a gravel road, picking up speed....... " But it never worked. :(
I also decided to call this technique Inter Activity Reality Conversion (IARC) as I continued to try to destract my mind from what was going on. Maybe there were too many people and I felt self conscious pedaling along with my eyes closed? :roll:

buildit

Postby buildit » 02 Oct 2014 21:41

Documenting 35 min, 380calories, 1.5miles, heart rate as high as 150, using level 5 the entire time. Felt unsuccessful at IARC for all but five minutes for which I felt like I was a white ball of energy with crackling lightening bolt coursing from me, no sound, crackling implied. For whatever reason I feel very comfortable in the energy form.

* I think if I am going to continue this experiment I will put it under it's own thread labled IARC

Return to “Dream Science”