The Pac Man Illusion

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Re: The Pac Man Illusion

Postby HAGART » 15 Jun 2016 20:53

I tried to write but couldn't keep my mind focused and went on tangents.

I want to share something that sums up all of reality and what will inspire me to write about it someday. This sums it up so well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmhW1yHpUaA
(New Scientist - "What is reality?"
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Jun 2016 21:00

Seems interesting, Hagart! I'm gonna check it out and reply later. Thanks for sharing! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Jun 2016 22:43

I shared it before and you may recognize it.
I like how 42 is used as a nod to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ;)
Reality can't be explained better. I will just use superfluous words to reach the same conclusion.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 15 Jun 2016 23:44

Hagart, I enjoyed the video link that you gave. I'm not knowledgable in science, but physics was my favorite intro class. I looked before with some interest at the relativity of time as a consequence of the speed of light being constant (regardless of the speed of the object from which it originates). The number of dimensions too, I suppose is relevant to discussion of reality.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jun 2016 07:41

I was trying to find another one of those videos to explain how our minds mostly think with analogy, not logic, but I came across this one, which you will find interesting, Pilgrim. I didn't speak about religion much in the God and Lucid Dreamers thread, but know you're open-minded, so I want to share this with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gS6rMQxosQ
"Are we hardwired to believe in God?"

It's by the same creators of the other video. They explain things in very simple, light-hearted ways, which is the best way to learn something. I would like to write about the meaning of life someday, but for now, I'm finding others who can say what I'm thinking much better than I can.

I found the one I was looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwd_LLVmDM
"How analogies shape our thoughts"

There are so many of these, and I'm going to subscribe to that channel to watch them all in due time. If anyone else is interested, they can do the same.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 17 Jun 2016 00:09

We can like each other without any need to pretend to believe the same. I think a lot of lucid dreamers believe as you do. We all learn more about strengths and weaknesses of our own views by communication. So, yes, I will always be delighted to hear your views. If I am ever rude, just tell me that I need to say things better. :)

I did watch your videos once, but I need to review and think about them when I have a bit more time.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Jun 2016 01:09

There's no need to discuss it really. It's just food for your own thoughts.

Pilgrim wrote:If I am ever rude, just tell me that I need to say things better.

You're so polite! I swear you must be from Canada like me, eh? I was even feeling sorry to even mention religion before, buddy! (And yes, some of us really do talk that way)
Again, I don't care to discuss it, but thought you would find it personally interesting, so shared it as I was seeking a completely different video.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Jun 2016 01:22

I find myself thinking analogically quite a lot; realising this has made me more cautious in ensuring that the analogies themselves apply. Just a while ago I shared a link on Facebook about job vacancies in Lidl. Can you spot the analogy? :mrgreen:

'They pay the living wage but they make sure every minute counts during your stints so no slacking! The work environment is like Disneyland compared to Betfred's---the main reason being that employees deal with a different calibre of customers. If anyone's interested, be forewarned that you will undergo about three interviews and brief training if you're accepted. Probationary period: 3 to 4 months. Good luck!'
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Jun 2016 02:08

Prison labor.
Shackled to a job you can't escape. The old ball and chain, married to a job. The executive-wardens keep a watchful eye on you. ;)

I think I got that right. I'm full of imagery.

(EDIT: I don't think I did actually, and saw the opposite. I only know very little about Betfred's after a quick wikipedia search, and happen to think working at Disneyland would be a nightmare. I went to Disney World in Florida this past October, and would absolutely HATE working there, constantly smiling and telling everyone to have a good day no matter how rude some customers are, or what mood you are personally in. So, in my personal mind, I would hate to work at Disney and that may throw off the analogy due to by biased opinion. )

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Jun 2016 02:48

I probably have some ergophobia issues, too.

Anyway, I was thinking about change again, and when I responded to Summerlander in a different thread, it got me thinking.

Summerlander wrote:There is truth in that. There are only contrasts and these give rise to definitions. But if you don't have points of reference, things become difficult to describe. How can one describe a circle without the concept of a triangle, square or rectangle? A circle is round as opposed to what? Without the unlikes, said thing ceases to be let alone appreciated for what it is.

HAGART wrote:Yeap! Agreed.
We just get use to the same old, same old, and it becomes normal. We never notice anything unless something changes, otherwise there is no comparison or reference point.

If we only sense patterns and waves, we can never sense anything unless there is a change. Waves are fluctuating, and that is the whole reason why we notice. Remove all those inputs, and during sensory deprivation, we will create our own. Our minds simply cannot stand a lack of change. That is the only way we know how to exist, define, label and seek patterns. It's quite simply what our brains are built for.

However, what if change happens slowly? Just like a frog placed in water that slowly heats up, it will never notice the warming, just like we will never notice the global warming and destruction of Earth around us either.

Stay vigilant to the seemingly inperceptual changes in both life and dreams, my friends.

Return to “Dream Science”