Is it possible/ever considered that all dreams are supposed to be lucid?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
Akriel

Is it possible/ever considered that all dreams are supposed to be lucid?

Postby Akriel » 02 Sep 2016 03:29

I had a lucid dream few nights ago and when i woke up, i quickly came up with this weird thought: what if our dreams should really be all lucid, and the fact that they almost never are is because modern human is so very unconscious in his every day life?

We do know that one can enhance his ability to lucid dream via consicouness and awakeness excercises while awake, so that at least suggests that there is a relation between consicouness and lucid dreaming. I also think that at least many of us agree that humans in modern western culture are very uncoscious and automatic, and that our society actually teaches us to be automatic by 40h/week work hours and strict social codes controlling our every day life. Could it be that the lucid state of dreaming is the true purpose of dreaming, or that it at least projects our level of consciousness, so that it would be the next level of dreaming which we enter as our consciousness grow/evolve?

How did early shamanistic and spiritual cultures see lucid dreaming, or dreaming in general?

I know there are several mainstream theories about why do we dream, but i think we can all agree that none of them is really comprehensive/explaining why do we dream/what is the purpose, or even the physical mechanism of dreaming. Has science ever considered this possibility/has it already dumped this one?

I know that this might seem pretty random and fringe to some, but i think that the discussion should still remain open and free since science understands dreaming so poorly.

Summerlander

Re: Is it possible/ever considered that all dreams are supposed to be lucid?

Postby Summerlander » 03 Sep 2016 01:46

I don't know about 'supposed to be' but if you manage to be lucid in all your dreams you are well on your way to enlightenment. Practising mindfulness in the waking state---or types of meditation like Vipassana---is one way to achieve that. Imagine being focused and mindful all the time; in waking life as well as in your sleep!

It would be a step up from your brain's default state. Imagine being aware of thoughts just as they arise in your mind rather than realising that you are thinking after the fact ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Re: Is it possible/ever considered that all dreams are supposed to be lucid?

Postby 24/7/365 » 10 Jun 2017 14:43

I can appreciate effort.

Return to “Dream Science”