Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
RedKryptonite

Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 08 Aug 2017 11:13

Hi Everyone,

I've read that you can talk to your subconscious mind in a lucid dream. I myself have never done this (Though I've gotten much better at inducing lucid dreams,all I need now is to practice getting better at dream control and prolonging the dream and I can confidently say I should be on my way to a solid intermediate lucid dreamer :D) and I assume you need to be a somewhat advanced lucid dreamer to pull it off. Out of curiosity,I'd like to ask some of you advanced/experienced guys here if its possible to use lucid dreaming as a cure to mental illnesses?

For example,say heal someone who has PTSD from a traumatic past,curing a pedophile's attraction to children,curing people with dangerous urges/impulses (some people are attracted to blood,violence,feces,etc.)...people with serious mental illnesses in general.

Or is all this beyond what lucid dreaming alone can help with?

24/7/365

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby 24/7/365 » 08 Aug 2017 17:28

Their not doctors. People cause there own problems with their confusion. There are institutes that try, as far as being successful, it really depends on the personal relationship.

naturespirit

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby naturespirit » 09 Aug 2017 01:57

There is evidence in various studies that lucid dreaming can cure Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder or 'shell shock' as well as frequent nightmares.

I personally believe that lucid dreaming alone can balance brain chemistry in other mental issues, but I am not aware of any research.

An interesting topic to pursue! :D
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19752

HunterClash

Postby HunterClash » 09 Aug 2017 11:04

I don't know about mental illnesses, but a damaged psych can DEFINITELY be cured with lucid dreaming.

Good luck.
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream
4: 8/17/17 - The Snake
5: 8/19/17 - The Super Speed(Fail)
6: 8/26/17 - The Ball Pool

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 10 Aug 2017 01:11

It seems to me that working with either non-lucid or lucid dreams can be helpful in solving many problems, including mental illness and post traumatic stress syndrome.

Here are some interesting resources regarding working with both lucid and non-lucid dreams. Includes how to re-writing the script of dreams using waking active imagination while in a meditative mood.

(1) - How Lucid Dreaming Could Help Treat PTSD - vice.com

(2) - Getting Rid Of Repeating Nightmares : A Simple, Potent ...
- huffingtonpost.com

(3) - Wanda Burch On Healing Soldier's Heart - mossdream.blogspot.com

(4) - Stalking The Hart's Tongue Fern: A Path to Healing Through Dreams, Synchronicity and Personal Imagery - wandaburch.com
The author had much difficulty in working with the medicinal fern, but she finally discovered how to call forth the fern's healing properties in dreams.

(5) - Jeremy Taylor - Dream Work - jeremytaylor.com

(6) YouTube (video series) - Carl Jung - The Wisdom of the Dream
- Vol. 1 - A Life of Dreams
See especially - at 34:32 min. - how Carl Jung's concept of "The Collective Unconscious" originated from a dream
- Vol.2 - Inheritance of Dreams
- (3) A World of Dreams

(7) - Evolution of the Internal Family System Model - by Richard Schwartz, PhD - selfleadership.org
Includes discussion regarding working with sub personalities, and also, receiving guidance from one's Higher Self (which has qualities of deep wisdom parallel to the "Awareness Behind the Dream").

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 10 Aug 2017 06:12

jasmine2 wrote:It seems to me that working with either non-lucid or lucid dreams can be helpful in solving many problems, including mental illness and post traumatic stress syndrome.

Here are some interesting resources regarding working with both lucid and non-lucid dreams. Includes how to re-writing the script of dreams using waking active imagination while in a meditative mood.

(1) - How Lucid Dreaming Could Help Treat PTSD - vice.com

(2) - Getting Rid Of Repeating Nightmares : A Simple, Potent ...
- huffingtonpost.com

(3) - Wanda Burch On Healing Soldier's Heart - mossdream.blogspot.com

(4) - Stalking The Hart's Tongue Fern: A Path to Healing Through Dreams, Synchronicity and Personal Imagery - wandaburch.com
The author had much difficulty in working with the medicinal fern, but she finally discovered how to call forth the fern's healing properties in dreams.

(5) - Jeremy Taylor - Dream Work - jeremytaylor.com

(6) YouTube (video series) - Carl Jung - The Wisdom of the Dream
- Vol. 1 - A Life of Dreams
See especially - at 34:32 min. - how Carl Jung's concept of "The Collective Unconscious" originated from a dream
- Vol.2 - Inheritance of Dreams
- (3) A World of Dreams

(7) - Evolution of the Internal Family System Model - by Richard Schwartz, PhD - selfleadership.org
Includes discussion regarding working with sub personalities, and also, receiving guidance from one's Higher Self (which has qualities of deep wisdom parallel to the "Awareness Behind the Dream").

Hi Jasmine2, Thank you for those studies. Yeah,I do remember Daniel Love (one of the bestselling authors of lucid dreaming along with Rebecca Turner) saying that the reason he got into lucid dreaming as child were to stop nightmares, and it worked. I suppose combining lucid dreaming with meditation (if a person is genuinely interested in it of course.) would help even more and maybe even remove the need for medication. Too bad most people are totally unaware of this.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 21 Aug 2017 17:44

I've have PTSD, and while certain lucid dreams did help tone it way down, it hasn't healed 100%. This is because actions that have happened in the past have resulted in me taking permanent damage which I have never been able to recover from.

I ended up with a mood issue when I got attacked in middle school that has since become permanent and I have never been able to get rid of. I have tried for over 15 years to get rid of this through my lucid dreams, but this problem is as permanent as brain damage, and will never go away. In real life well at least for now, I feel like Sad Larry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tha07Sasx60 and it seems to fluctuate between that and feeling like I am high on sort of drug that is forcing me to be ignorantly blissful something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc .

While in real life I cannot free myself from this ever, I did learn to induce a type of lucid dream I can have where I can completely free myself temporarily from this. I also had lucid dream friends who had afflictions of their own, one of them had down syndrome who also had lucid dreams where they were free from their afflictions when they entered this type of lucid dream. While I often talk about the lucid dreams where I fly around accurate versions of my hometown or I end up having incidents of dream spying/dream meshing with friends, these are actually the lucid dreams I end up freed from that. I don't have quite as many controls as I do in my other lucid dreams (my friends and I clone ourselves, but we cannot command the clone to do anything but lay there unconscious. We are also constantly invisible to the ground characters, but visible to the animals and cannot control this either), but I will take anything I can get just to be free. I really want to someday, live in a lucid dream where I am free (brain in the vat), so I can have a second chance.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Aug 2017 05:49

@lucidé
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. I too have been a victim of bullying in my youth,though I was never beaten up(Being big and having the willingness to engage if the need arises has helped prevent that. I did get into several fights but I never got a full blown beat down) I was ostracized for being different and for lacking good social skills in the past.

You know,an author I trust will be releasing a book on meditation. I plan to start my journey on meditation with his book as he removes all of the "mystical bullshit" that's been associated with it and focuses on the practical. I might recommend it to you once I read it myself and found that it might help with your PTSD. (assuming you're still here by then). I hate bullies too and I'd love to help ease the pain they've caused.

Actually,in my case,it seems I have the opposite of PTSD. I talked about it briefly in the first non-lucid dream I posted here,but in the very last fight I ever got into,which happened nearly the end of my high school years,I got into it with the baddest/most feared bully of the entire school. Words can't describe how scared I was,but I managed to give myself the courage to go berserk and wrestle him to the ground. I've been in multiple fights with bullies before,but I've never attacked anyone as fiercely as I attacked him,I was completely convinced that I was fighting for my life. I told a more detailed version of this story to one of the best self-defense instructors I know of,and I really got a harsh lecturing from him because my actions on that day could have landed me in prison had I been less fortunate. Maybe one day I'll post the more detailed version of this story on the off-topic section of this forum (I'm sure a lot of people here have experience with bullies and hate them with as much passion as I do :twisted: )

I was very proud of what I've done,and it resulted in one of the happiest moments of my life (All the other bullies didn't want a piece of me anymore,and I was able to finish high school peacefully). Its been 5 years,but I still think of that moment almost everyday. Like I said,its like the positive/happy version of PTSD. I think the closest thing I can relate it to is being stuck in the "Exhilaration stage" of the "Killing response stages" as described by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman in his book "On Killing." (Take note that I have not read that book in its entirety and probably won't anytime soon. Its too long and the subject just doesn't interest me enough to read it in full. However,if you want to learn about how humans respond to traumatic stress and killing,its a good book to check out)

Am I wrong for being so proud and fixated on that moment? I don't know,and to tell you the truth,I don't give a shit. Although that same bully is a "seemingly" decent person now (I emphasized that because I simply don't know enough about him to say,but he's been polite to me whenever we briefly come across each other now. If he has changed though,you can argue that the harsh defeat he suffered at my hands may have something to do with it) the guy who was bullying me in high school was a piece of shit for a human being through and through,to the point where a ton of my schoolmates/classmates were very happy when I kicked his ass.

Sorry for the long post,this topic inspires a lot of feelings in me.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 22 Aug 2017 06:53

RedKryptonite wrote:@lucidé
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. I too have been a victim of bullying in my youth,though I was never beaten up(Being big and having the willingness to engage if the need arises has helped prevent that. I did get into several fights but I never got a full blown beat down) I was ostracized for being different and for lacking good social skills in the past.

I was just surrounded and often they would chase me as I would attempt to outrun them. Often a bully would tackle me down, and I would get slammed into the wall, punched, elbowed, stabbed with pencils, and it just wasn't fun. I never really understood why they assaulted me every day either.

You know,an author I trust will be releasing a book on meditation. I plan to start my journey on meditation with his book as he removes all of the "mystical bullshit" that's been associated with it and focuses on the practical. I might recommend it to you once I read it myself and found that it might help with your PTSD. (assuming you're still here by then). I hate bullies too and I'd love to help ease the pain they've caused.

Unfortunately I have trained myself so well with the WILD technique when I even attempt most forms of meditation, I end up in my dream body and in a lucid dream within minutes, so unless I am aiming to enter a lucid dream, it doesn't really work in most cases.

Actually,in my case,it seems I have the opposite of PTSD. I talked about it briefly in the first non-lucid dream I posted here,but in the very last fight I ever got into,which happened nearly the end of my high school years,I got into it with the baddest/most feared bully of the entire school. Words can't describe how scared I was,but I managed to give myself the courage to go berserk and wrestle him to the ground. I've been in multiple fights with bullies before,but I've never attacked anyone as fiercely as I attacked him,I was completely convinced that I was fighting for my life. I told a more detailed version of this story to one of the best self-defense instructors I know of,and I really got a harsh lecturing from him because my actions on that day could have landed me in prison had I been less fortunate. Maybe one day I'll post the more detailed version of this story on the off-topic section of this forum (I'm sure a lot of people here have experience with bullies and hate them with as much passion as I do :twisted: )

I did challenge one of my bullies to a fight outside of school once, and I got sent to detention for doing this. My mother warned the school if I fought the bully in the state of anger I was in, I could have seriously injured the bully. It's only too bad I didn't learn the martial arts back in elementary school. While I would have gotten expelled from middle school and excommunicated from a religion that was also guilty back then of bullying me, I would have been able to protect myself.

I was very proud of what I've done,and it resulted in one of the happiest moments of my life (All the other bullies didn't want a piece of me anymore,and I was able to finish high school peacefully). Its been 5 years,but I still think of that moment almost everyday. Like I said,its like the positive/happy version of PTSD. I think the closest thing I can relate it to is being stuck in the "Exhilaration stage" of the "Killing response stages" as described by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman in his book "On Killing." (Take note that I have not read that book in its entirety and probably won't anytime soon. Its too long and the subject just doesn't interest me enough to read it in full. However,if you want to learn about how humans respond to traumatic stress and killing,its a good book to check out)

I wish I was able to protect myself like that. However I worry just because when my angry mood takes over while I am fighting, I am unable to show mercy or judgment, and could seriously hurt someone if they provoked me. Much like how I gain courage to win a sparring match.

Am I wrong for being so proud and fixated on that moment? I don't know,and to tell you the truth,I don't give a shit. Although that same bully is a "seemingly" decent person now (I emphasized that because I simply don't know enough about him to say,but he's been polite to me whenever we briefly come across each other now. If he has changed though,you can argue that the harsh defeat he suffered at my hands may have something to do with it) the guy who was bullying me in high school was a piece of shit for a human being through and through,to the point where a ton of my schoolmates/classmates were very happy when I kicked his ass.

I only wish I could have solved the problem in middle school in this way, but since almost everyone in middle school hated me, I didn't really have much of a choice. One of the reasons why I chose to hide rather than fight is my moods ended up taking control of my mind, and my anger ended up making me aggressive enough to fight and attacked anyone who provoked me without mercy. I would always get sent to detention for fighting back, where I would be trapped in a classroom with even more bullies instead of being in the halls. I got sent to detention for almost everything.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Aug 2017 09:04

I took part in a study by a uni in the state and its goal was to see if this is possible. the main focus was in using lucid states to help with PTSD and it seems there are some indications that it will help. It was a small pilot study but the results were good that you can influence states of mind that are needing to be changed or counteract the nightmares that occur so lets hope they keep pushing and its gets to be a little more mainstream in time.

So yip to me its possible to help or make progress with lucid dream or seeding the subconscious with dreaming and thought to help.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Dream Science”