Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
lucidé
Posts: 527
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 26 Aug 2017 18:42

RedKryptonite wrote:Hopefully the full development of VR technology happens within our lifetime. I wouldn't mind being a 90+ year old fart if that kind of tech is available by then. :mrgreen:

They are already starting on doing this. Sony and Microsoft already have some technology that is the very beginning of virtual reality (I tried some of the games they had in a demo), and while not a full body reality, you are moving part of your body. So I would say a complete virtual reality is not that far away. Nintendo and Apple will more than likely be the ones to be doing some sort of portable virtual reality somewhere within about 20 years, as they are the masters of devices on the move.

Also, I believe you should meet with your classmates. You may be surprised by how much they have changed most probably the bullies. It may be a memorable experience. Its just my opinion though.

I am not sure that's a good idea. Just because some of my bullies were thieves (not in just trying to steal my possessions), and well you never know if someone ever got over this.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 125
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 14 Nov 2017 07:18

@lucidé
- If its of any interest to you,here's one of my "violent rematches" with the school bully I told you about,let me know if any of your dreams are as violent(or more)as this one :mrgreen:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=69406#p69406

lucidé
Posts: 527
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 21 Nov 2017 05:06

I still sometimes have violent lucid dreams of my bullies as well. I've done WAY worse things than you have. My absolute favorite thing as of lately to do my bullies in my lucid dreams, is make one of Utah's volcanoes active, and have the volcanic ash destroy them. Having them scream as they try to run away from the ashes. Yes this is supposed to be like a "lava death" but more scientifically accurate.
I often wonder how many users do exactly what that militant atheist did in Texas. Real life is obviously taboo, but you are free to do as you wish in a lucid dream, as it hurts no one.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 125
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 21 Nov 2017 14:35

lucidé wrote:I still sometimes have violent lucid dreams of my bullies as well. I've done WAY worse things than you have. My absolute favorite thing as of lately to do my bullies in my lucid dreams, is make one of Utah's volcanoes active, and have the volcanic ash destroy them. Having them scream as they try to run away from the ashes. Yes this is supposed to be like a "lava death" but more scientifically accurate.
I often wonder how many users do exactly what that militant atheist did in Texas. Real life is obviously taboo, but you are free to do as you wish in a lucid dream, as it hurts no one.

You mean perform a massacre? I honestly have no idea. Lots of people love to play games like the Grand Theft Auto/GTA series though,so I'd imagine a decent percentage of lucid dreamers do so on a somewhat regular basis.(to be honest though,I'm not really as much into senseless video game violence as much as I used to. nowadays when playing GTA games,I actively pursue missions and engage with the story. my sister is the opposite though,she just likes going in explosive rampages :lol: )

Maybe I'll try that one of these days in a lucid dream. should be an interesting experience,hehe.

lucidé
Posts: 527
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 21 Nov 2017 22:24

RedKryptonite wrote:You mean perform a massacre? I honestly have no idea. Lots of people love to play games like the Grand Theft Auto/GTA series though,so I'd imagine a decent percentage of lucid dreamers do so on a somewhat regular basis.(to be honest though,I'm not really as much into senseless video game violence as much as I used to. nowadays when playing GTA games,I actively pursue missions and engage with the story. my sister is the opposite though,she just likes going in explosive rampages :lol: )

Maybe I'll try that one of these days in a lucid dream. should be an interesting experience,hehe.

I won't be afraid to admit I did something extremely similar to this in a lucid dream back in middle school, but it wasn't because I hated the group for the religion in my lucid dream. It was because of the way that religious group was bullying me, and I respond in lucid dreams that way to all dream character bullies because lucid dreams hurt no one.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 125
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Nov 2017 12:44

lucidé wrote:I won't be afraid to admit I did something extremely similar to this in a lucid dream back in middle school, but it wasn't because I hated the group for the religion in my lucid dream. It was because of the way that religious group was bullying me, and I respond in lucid dreams that way to all dream character bullies because lucid dreams hurt no one.

Hey,anything that helps you release steam without consequence is a good thing. Though,I'm not opposed to meting some real life justice so long as you know how to get away with it and you don't go overboard. after all,despite what the cowardly false pacifists(not to be confused with real pacifists,who are against not just physical violence,but verbal/emotional violence as well. Needless to say,that especially includes bullying)say,the only defense against evil violent people,are good people who are more skilled at violence. But I've already discussed that before here on this very forum topic so I won't get into that.

I don't feel guilty for every bully I've ever punched in the past. that,I'm not ashamed to say.

Heck,you've probably already heard this story before,but here's a link to the "Casey Haynes" bullying incident,analyzed by a martial artist I respect:
http://www.wimsblog.com/2011/03/big-kid-gets-bullied-one-too-many-times/
(He even has a part 2 and 3 if you're interested in reading them)

Another problem solved with well-used force. (Not every incident should be referred to as "violence." It should only be called that when used by bad guys to fulfill their evil agendas. But when good people use it appropriately to solve a problem,it is called "Force")

I applaud that kid,though I do somewhat envy his achieved fame. Don't get me wrong,I normally don't give a shit about fame or popularity,but having a rep like this may not only scare away any future asshole that thinks about messing with you,but it may even make getting a job easier. :lol:

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4168
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby Summerlander » 22 Nov 2017 18:01

'Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, "he that is not with me is against me".'

~George Orwell

Even Gandhi was well aware that his pious pacifism would not have worked on the Nazis. Imagine if we never had Winston Churchill's belligerence against Adolf Hitler and the Allies continued to employ terms of appeasement just like Neville Chamberlain.

Picture scores of Jews willingly standing still---hoping to set a 'good' example to the enemy---as the Fuhrer's brainwashed henchmen slaughter them like rats. The Holocaust would have been worse; the Third Reich would triumph; Hitler would smile.

Today, imagine Western 'infidels' appeasing the Jihadist masses brewing in the Levant and beyond! Imagine we chose not to fight the Islamic State, an enemy brainwashed by the religious doctrine mandating the enslavement and murder of nonbelievers ...

So much for pacifism ... :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé
Posts: 527
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 22 Nov 2017 18:31

The only problem with violence against one of my bullies was that one of them had a father who was one of a sleazy lawyer, and no way was I going to risk losing everything and possibly becoming homeless over something like that. While the father was just as much of a bully as the child was, if he has the legal right to repossess everything I own through a lawsuit, I am NOT risking that.
Also if it involves your job, you don't want to get fired over smacking a bully down either.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 125
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Nov 2017 19:29

lucidé wrote:The only problem with violence against one of my bullies was that one of them had a father who was one of a sleazy lawyer, and no way was I going to risk losing everything and possibly becoming homeless over something like that. While the father was just as much of a bully as the child was, if he has the legal right to repossess everything I own through a lawsuit, I am NOT risking that.

Hence why I said "If you could get away with it."
Unfortunately,there are situations out there where you simply cannot win. That's the sad truth of life. I suppose we can't really do anything about the past now,can we? Honestly,If I could transfer my memories and consciousness back in time to when I first entered school,I would have done things very,very differently. My social skills is a lot better now than in the past,so I probably would have far less encounters with bullies,but I'd definitely fight when called for it. I would much rather take the risk,than do nothing knowing that I'm guaranteed to be tormented for years and years. When the adrenaline is flowing in your veins,getting punched hurts far less than being bullied. (BTW this is not necessarily a recommendation. I'm just saying what I personally would have done had I known back then what I know now)

What would you have done? Just curious. was your situation really that hopeless? would your parents have listened to you if you begged them as hard as you can to transfer you?

The only perfect solution is that home school system I spoke of earlier in this thread. You know,if I successfully start my own business,perhaps I could succeed in being the pioneer for creating a home-based educational system,haha. but I'm getting ahead of myself here :lol:

lucidé wrote:Also if it involves your job, you don't want to get fired over smacking a bully down either.

Truth be told,this is also a major reason why I want to successfully start my own business,rather than work as a regular employee. (among other reasons of which there are plenty.),so that I will not be in such a powerless position. I just hope I could succeed at it.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 125
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Nov 2017 19:59

Summerlander wrote:'Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, "he that is not with me is against me".'

~George Orwell

Even Gandhi was well aware that his pious pacifism would not have worked on the Nazis. Imagine if we never had Winston Churchill's belligerence against Adolf Hitler and the Allies continued to employ terms of appeasement just like Neville Chamberlain.

Picture scores of Jews willingly standing still---hoping to set a 'good' example to the enemy---as the Fuhrer's brainwashed henchmen slaughter them like rats. The Holocaust would have been worse; the Third Reich would triumph; Hitler would smile.

Today, imagine Western 'infidels' appeasing the Jihadist masses brewing in the Levant and beyond! Imagine we chose not to fight the Islamic State, an enemy brainwashed by the religious doctrine mandating the enslavement and murder of nonbelievers ...

So much for pacifism ... :mrgreen:

EXACTLY! Allow me to take one more quote from Rory miller's book "Force Decisions" that further hammers this point. (BTW,the quote about evil violent people came from him on that same book as well)
It’s often been said, “Violence never solved anything.” The simple truth is that when you are slammed up against the wall and the knife is at your throat, when a circle of teenagers is kicking you as you curl into a ball on the sidewalk, or when the man walks into your office building or school with a pair of guns and starts shooting—only violence, or the reasonable threat of violence, is going to save your life. In the extreme moment, only force can stop force.

Don't get me wrong,that does NOT mean that I like violence nor that I actively seek it. Frankly,I think life is too short to spend it in conflict with someone else. but hey,when the time comes to hit the other person with the frying pan...well,you better do it before he grabs it and uses it on you :lol:

I don't have any active enemies anymore,and I'm very,very happy about that. :D

Unfortunately,many do not feel the same way,and actively create conflict with others who are unlucky enough to be stuck with them. so far,I have not encountered an unreasonable person in many years,and I hope it continues that way. Anyway,good night. I gotta hit the hay :)


Return to “Dream Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest