Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
RedKryptonite

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 29 Nov 2017 10:02

lucidé wrote:If I had been able to turn the clock around, I would have gone to karate as a child, becoming a brown belt by the time I reached middle school. When those bullies tried to pick on me with all that training, I would have smacked them down (if they are trying to all attack me at once, knocking them out is my only line of defense). A brown belt can also face several bullies at a time. Religion or school, I would have protected myself and had way more confidence. Of course then I would have gotten "expelled" from that school and excommunicated from that religion for violence, but then I could be home schooled until high school, never having to face bullies again. Perhaps if time travel becomes available, I will fix some of the things that need fixing in the past.

Yup,that would be my plan too. The great thing about being a little kid,is that you're not really held legally responsible for your actions as you are when you're an adult(within limits of course,but we're not planning to kill or cripple anyone here). The younger you are when you fight,the more things will likely go right. Though,being a big and strong kid,I likely would not have needed any martial arts training. (though I might have looked for a boxing club/gym just in case. Gracie combatives was unavailable at that time,so it wouldn't have been an option)
The first "serious bully" I ever encountered was a guy by the name of Neil. Not a big threat at all. I would have just punched him in the face(to distract him. Yes,I'm not against fighting dirty :twisted: ),followed by a takedown to wrestle him to the ground until the teachers breaks up our fight(maybe landing a few hard punches on his body while I'm on top of him. :twisted: I'd avoid ground and pounding his head though unless I really had to)

I would do this in the vicinity of teachers/school authorities. I would do this in order to avoid getting ganged up on,and so I won't have to use extreme force to end the fight(them breaking the fight up will end it for me). This also has the benefit of having the teachers settle the fight instead of the law getting involved(though it could still happen) Hopefully,this will be enough to make the punk back off forever. A week or even a month of detention/suspension is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

...Ok,by the sound of that,It sounds like I'M THE BULLY! :lol: But trust me,just because a bully isn't strong,doesn't mean they are any less evil or any less harmful/hurtful. This guy was like the black version of Richard Gale. (the bully Casey Haynes smashed in that analysis link I showed)

If a bully was a serious threat though,I'd go all out and just rely on the school authorities breaking us up before either of us got seriously injured (BTW this was pretty much what I did against "John" and why I was able to truly go all out against him without worrying about going too far or me getting seriously hurt ;) Man,I'm seriously thinking of posting that fight in the off-topic section.)

lucidé wrote:What probably got me into trouble with bullies to begin with. Was taught as a kid that fighting was the wrong thing to do. Maybe they did that because of my gender back then.
I once smashed the fingers of a drunk guy on a plane, because he kept grabbing my side. He wasn't able to grab my side after I broke his fingers.

Yes,I was taught the same thing,even though I'm male. I'm confident I could have defeated the vast majority of the bullies I came across,especially since I'm willing to play dirty (Pre-emptive strike + Tackle FTW! :mrgreen: ) but my fear of the school consequences stopped me. Had my younger self knew what I know now,I would have taken the risk.

Of course,I'm not saying I'd win EVERY fight. that's not realistic,and I'm not Batman. though I'd probably be in far less fights the moment I took on my first bully,if no fights at all.

RedKryptonite

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 29 Nov 2017 10:04

LoneDreamer wrote:Your classmate seems like more like an egoistic coward who can't fight back and just uses pacifism as facade to save his ego.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 29 Nov 2017 23:19

RedKryptonite wrote:If a bully was a serious threat though,I'd go all out and just rely on the school authorities breaking us up before either of us got seriously injured (BTW this was pretty much what I did against "John" and why I was able to truly go all out against him without worrying about going too far or me getting seriously hurt ;) Man,I'm seriously thinking of posting that fight in the off-topic section.)

They never believed me when they were a "serious threat". A couple of bullies threatened me with a knife or tried to torch me with a science flame, and the adults did nothing about it. One even tried to break into my house when my parents weren't there, and I was preparing to attack them with a kitchen knife if they broke in (if a person breaks in according to the law, you are free to attack them)

Of course,I'm not saying I'd win EVERY fight. that's not realistic,and I'm not Batman. though I'd probably be in far less fights the moment I took on my first bully,if no fights at all.

I learn this at karate, that you may not win every fight. For a much more threatening fight, always use anything possible as weapons, whether you can use them for offense or defense, figure it out. I even learned you can use your possessions should you have them with you for slight protection during a shooting, especially if they are made out of plastic or metal. Your possessions would be destroyed, but your life would be sparred.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “Dream Science”