Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
RedKryptonite

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 29 Nov 2017 10:02

lucidé wrote:If I had been able to turn the clock around, I would have gone to karate as a child, becoming a brown belt by the time I reached middle school. When those bullies tried to pick on me with all that training, I would have smacked them down (if they are trying to all attack me at once, knocking them out is my only line of defense). A brown belt can also face several bullies at a time. Religion or school, I would have protected myself and had way more confidence. Of course then I would have gotten "expelled" from that school and excommunicated from that religion for violence, but then I could be home schooled until high school, never having to face bullies again. Perhaps if time travel becomes available, I will fix some of the things that need fixing in the past.

Yup,that would be my plan too. The great thing about being a little kid,is that you're not really held legally responsible for your actions as you are when you're an adult(within limits of course,but we're not planning to kill or cripple anyone here). The younger you are when you fight,the more things will likely go right. Though,being a big and strong kid,I likely would not have needed any martial arts training. (though I might have looked for a boxing club/gym just in case. Gracie combatives was unavailable at that time,so it wouldn't have been an option)
The first "serious bully" I ever encountered was a guy by the name of Neil. Not a big threat at all. I would have just punched him in the face(to distract him. Yes,I'm not against fighting dirty :twisted: ),followed by a takedown to wrestle him to the ground until the teachers breaks up our fight(maybe landing a few hard punches on his body while I'm on top of him. :twisted: I'd avoid ground and pounding his head though unless I really had to)

I would do this in the vicinity of teachers/school authorities. I would do this in order to avoid getting ganged up on,and so I won't have to use extreme force to end the fight(them breaking the fight up will end it for me). This also has the benefit of having the teachers settle the fight instead of the law getting involved(though it could still happen) Hopefully,this will be enough to make the punk back off forever. A week or even a month of detention/suspension is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

...Ok,by the sound of that,It sounds like I'M THE BULLY! :lol: But trust me,just because a bully isn't strong,doesn't mean they are any less evil or any less harmful/hurtful. This guy was like the black version of Richard Gale. (the bully Casey Haynes smashed in that analysis link I showed)

If a bully was a serious threat though,I'd go all out and just rely on the school authorities breaking us up before either of us got seriously injured (BTW this was pretty much what I did against "John" and why I was able to truly go all out against him without worrying about going too far or me getting seriously hurt ;) Man,I'm seriously thinking of posting that fight in the off-topic section.)

lucidé wrote:What probably got me into trouble with bullies to begin with. Was taught as a kid that fighting was the wrong thing to do. Maybe they did that because of my gender back then.
I once smashed the fingers of a drunk guy on a plane, because he kept grabbing my side. He wasn't able to grab my side after I broke his fingers.

Yes,I was taught the same thing,even though I'm male. I'm confident I could have defeated the vast majority of the bullies I came across,especially since I'm willing to play dirty (Pre-emptive strike + Tackle FTW! :mrgreen: ) but my fear of the school consequences stopped me. Had my younger self knew what I know now,I would have taken the risk.

Of course,I'm not saying I'd win EVERY fight. that's not realistic,and I'm not Batman. though I'd probably be in far less fights the moment I took on my first bully,if no fights at all.

RedKryptonite

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 29 Nov 2017 10:04

LoneDreamer wrote:Your classmate seems like more like an egoistic coward who can't fight back and just uses pacifism as facade to save his ego.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 29 Nov 2017 23:19

RedKryptonite wrote:If a bully was a serious threat though,I'd go all out and just rely on the school authorities breaking us up before either of us got seriously injured (BTW this was pretty much what I did against "John" and why I was able to truly go all out against him without worrying about going too far or me getting seriously hurt ;) Man,I'm seriously thinking of posting that fight in the off-topic section.)

They never believed me when they were a "serious threat". A couple of bullies threatened me with a knife or tried to torch me with a science flame, and the adults did nothing about it. One even tried to break into my house when my parents weren't there, and I was preparing to attack them with a kitchen knife if they broke in (if a person breaks in according to the law, you are free to attack them)

Of course,I'm not saying I'd win EVERY fight. that's not realistic,and I'm not Batman. though I'd probably be in far less fights the moment I took on my first bully,if no fights at all.

I learn this at karate, that you may not win every fight. For a much more threatening fight, always use anything possible as weapons, whether you can use them for offense or defense, figure it out. I even learned you can use your possessions should you have them with you for slight protection during a shooting, especially if they are made out of plastic or metal. Your possessions would be destroyed, but your life would be sparred.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2017 23:30

Martial arts and self-defence is another great topic. If one must fight---because there is no other option---high levels of concentration are required. One must become the fight. You have to be fully present in order to avert physical threats; above all you must take every opportunity to disable your opponent. :geek:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 21 Dec 2017 15:14

Summerlander wrote:Martial arts and self-defence is another great topic. If one must fight---because there is no other option---high levels of concentration are required. One must become the fight. You have to be fully present in order to avert physical threats; above all you must take every opportunity to disable your opponent. :geek:

If theres any benefit whatsoever from my past experiences,it is that it exposed me to enough real life violence to enable me to have a realistic outlook on the topic. Sadly,there are too many Mcdojos(if u dont know what that term means,its the martial arts equivalent of mcdonalds. The food may be tasty,but it isnt good for you. With mcdojos,their techniques and training methods dont match up/prepare their students for real life violence,but bec the students often lack experience with violence,they cant tell the difference.) Out there and they leave students unprepared to defend themselves(or even overconfident). I recommend the works/books of Rory Miller,Iain Abernethy,Marc Macyoung.(Id link to some of their insightful articles later. Im typing this on my smartphone so i cant do it right now)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Dec 2017 02:30

You certainly increase your chances of having the fight under control if your healthy and fit. And the rest is a skill like any other---it takes practice to master your moves.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 23 Dec 2017 08:27

True,being fit and healthy helps you in all areas of your life.

This brings up the interesting topic of whether or not Mcdojos and Fake/Bad martial arts schools do more harm than good. After all,most of us don't live the kind of lives where violence is a regular occurrence/problem. I won't deny that these kinds of organizations have indeed helped to improve the lives of certain people,such as helping unfit/unhealthy people find a physical activity they enjoy that instills the qualities of discipline,self-control,focus,etc. (I'm talking about the sub-standard schools that have at least maintained these benefits even if they have nothing to offer from a self-defense/Martial point of view. Unfortunately,the really bad ones who are only interested in milking money from customers have lowered their training standards so much that they can't even offer these qualities.)

In my opinion(and this is just my opinion),enrolling in a bad martial arts school isn't worth the possible benefits,here is why:

- You can gain all the possible benefits(Fitness and Character Development)from training in a Mcdojo in a true high quality school AND from other kinds of sports/physical activities.

- Based on what I've researched,bad martial arts actually teach you to move in a way that is actually damaging to your joints,ligaments,and tendons. :o
Of course,that's not to say that you don't risk injuries training in a quality school or any rigorous physical activity for that matter,but if I'm risking injuries either way,it might as well be from training in a real martial art.

- Martial arts training is an expensive hobby. if I'm gonna shell out my hard earned cash,it might as well be from a high quality training program/product. :mrgreen:
(The irony is that many good martial arts teachers out there actually charge much cheaper than the bad schools. This is because they are teaching out of passion rather than a desire to make dough)

Edit: - Oh yeah,forgot to add this particular one. If you train in bad martial arts long enough,there's a good chance you'll have massive difficulties if/when the day comes you decide to switch to a good training program. You'll have a lot of work to do to unlearn whatever garbage/bad habits the bad training has ingrained into your reflexes.

Anyway,those are my thoughts. If there's no good martial arts schools near your area,you might be better off pursuing a different physical activity until you can move to an area where good training becomes available. it will probably be awhile before I myself will be swimming back in the martial arts waters. I gotta take care of other life matters first.

BTW,here's an excellent article from Mr. Marc Macyoung,he explains what effective physical self-defense is really all about:
https://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/enditNOW.htm

amyramoon

Postby amyramoon » 06 Jan 2018 18:41

If I may offer my two cents... I actually had a mental illness and it would cause me to go into delusional insane ramblings on various topics when I was in the manic state, but I followed the track of thoughts and am able to describe my experiences in great detail. When I was 17 (I'm 30 now) I started having flying dreams and it was shortly after reading the book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreams from cover to cover. In fact, I believe my journey through lucid experiences night to night have enhanced my ability to effectively communicate with and learn from my inner psyche in the form of the abstract connection of interacting with dream experiences. My manic episodes felt like I merged with my dream being, with access to phantasmagorical thought at will in addition to rational and clear logical thought, leading to confused related ideas that I would easily fall for in my suggestible, delusional state. After having access to all the extra mental dimensionality, I would think excessively and come up with one glorious idea after another, enticing and fascinating on their own, and together full of wonder and awe. I could convince myself that in the high speed state of euphoria, my brain worked more efficiently so that the body would be capable of living an extended lifetime, perhaps well over the average, if I would be able to sustain the manic episode for the rest of my life. Lucid dreams help us become more a part of a rich inner world of imagination. If and when this is released, you will be able to go in and out of several embedded delusions with the power of your enhanced mental abilities after having merged with your dream self, reaching a higher level of consciousness, and eventually learn from the enlightened experience so effectively to heal your damaged psyche.

Return to “Dream Science”