Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
lucidé
Posts: 523
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 25 Aug 2017 02:24

RedKryptonite wrote:What the Fu...I got angry just reading that. Doesn't this violate our right to free speech!? :x
Well,I hope you've gotten away from such close-minded neighbors. I honestly don't understand how that could happen. I've seen blogs that discuss actual disturbing content but they don't get taken down.

It wasn't my neighbors who did this. Some users online are liberals and believe people should either agree with them or they have the right to blackmail them to force them to agree with them. Unfortunately, the psych wards are willing to lock just about anyone in them because not only do they get paid taxes for staying open, but they drain their victims of their insurance while they are trapped inside. These places are far worse than any prison, as the guards there have every right to physically violate your privacy, can physically attack you, and will stick you with needles almost all the time.

I agree with this. Euthanasia should be legal. No one likes to admit this,but some people are indeed damaged beyond repair and the most merciful thing we can do for them is to end their suffering. For some,life never gets better.

Once a person is afflicted with any disability, their life never gets better. Because discrimination is so bad against the disabled, it is really hard living for them.

My idea is obviously not perfect(I don't think anything is,not with a subject/problem almost as complicated as the subject of violence itself,which is bullying) but it can at least save those who can still be helped and most importantly,it can be an effective way to prevent someone from being bullied in the first place. (Like if you're a parent and you notice that your child has habits/mannerisms that could get them ostracized in school,you can start them off with the private home school program. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,as they say.)

It's possible also the parent could get them signed up in the martial arts as well. If the kid gets expelled for defending themselves from bullying, then they could always go back the home school program.


Lots of people have gotten away with what is considered to be "crime",including me(I've had quite a number of fist fights against bullies in school for instance,but I never got in trouble with the law and my record is squeaky clean. I know because I'm in the process of getting my visa,which of course involves looking at my record). it happens all the time,so that's not really true. However,I can see your point that if they see DNA that could cause an abnormality/eccentricity in the future of a newborn,they can at least take preventive action...well,if they bother to do it. which they don't at the moment. that's why we are discussing this and why the bullying problem is still so rampant.

It's too bad they don't bother to do it. Our country would be a lot safer from shootings and other crimes if they bothered to do something about the schizophrenia that develops occasionally because of the bullying. One thing I am upset at the government with in the past few years, is that they successfully increased the bullying rather than decreased it by allowing

Yes,several victims who have turned dangerous came from abusive backgrounds(I know because I used to be violent,caused by the bullying I experienced in school.) The point of the parenting program isn't just to reduce victims,but to reduce the number of bullies themselves (by teaching them early on that its wrong to hurt others for being different,followed by appropriate punishment if they refuse to listen) which results in an overall lessening of the bullying epidemic. If you get what I'm saying..

This won't always reduce the number of bullies. Even if a parent puts a kid in disciplinary school, sometimes they still behave like bullies anyways. Some kids are born sociopathic/psychopathic, and the society needs to know which kids are born this way.

Yeah,violent media/entertainment don't create violent/bad people. excessive traumatic experiences and/or neglect is what does it. I'm just curious,but have you ever used lucid dreaming to torture bullies? I haven't really tried to deliberately do it,primarily because by the time I got into lucid dreaming,my anger and hatred has already subsided due to the years of peace. However,I've had several non-lucid dreams where I got into a fight again with the bully I spoke of. I always defeat him though,often in very brutal fashion. (I might actually post one of them later in the non-lucid section,lol) I can't recall a single dream where I lost to the bully. it seems my victory against him in real life has been deeply ingrained into my subconscious. :lol:

Quite often in lucid dreams. In multimedia as well, because in multimedia, well at least years ago, you can get away with doing almost anything in animations or drawings without getting criticized or chastised by anyone, and it's one thing I really like about the industry. They need to get rid of the critical parents who are trying to get rid of the violence, because I really liked the industry before the parents started restricting our violence because they decided to bring their toddlers into an adult oriented industry. You don't bring young kids into an industry where we model anatomically correct models (you have to in an art industry like multimedia), which a group and I did make fun of once in an animation once (we made a little girl say, "Look mommy! The character's @#$@# is showing!" in Spanish ).

I despise people/parents like these,almost as much as the bullies themselves. again,refer to the article I posted here about "Fake Pacifists" (A real pacifist would understand that these entertainment mediums victimize no one,and that people need that kind of entertainment and that if they don't like it,all they have to do is not indulge in it,not take the away the rights of others to enjoy it)

I totally agree with you on this. I played a violent video game called The Sims 3 for a long time. You could do all sorts of violent mean things to the Sims, and I enjoyed it. Often I made the people who I was angry at into Sims, and would turn them into Vampires and Zombies, then I would kill them, or sometimes if I wanted to kill them over and over again, I'd give them the "unlucky" trait, where the Grim Reaper would resurrect them after I killed them and say, "Your constant misfortune amuses me and those around you. It would be a shame to take that priceless entertainment away from these people. I will take you some other day." Some of my family members or even others would call me sick with the way I would play this game or create my animations, but when I was able to play those violent video games while angry, it got that anger I was feeling out. It was almost as if I was able to go right in there and punch at something. Sadly with many shows and video games, they are taking out the violence lately.

To tell you the truth though,I honestly have no desire to ever have children. I plan to live the childfree lifestyle. I've been told several times by the few people I've told in real life that I will end up changing my mind,and maybe that is possible,but I just can't imagine it ever happening. I might get actively involved with Romance someday,but I don't plan to include children in the picture. I wouldn't be a good father anyway. I'm way too selfish and far too much of a clumsy airhead. :lol:

It would be very bad for me to have children anyway. I was told my children had a 100% chance of being mentally disabled in some way, and after my bullies ruined my life like this, I could never do the same to anyone else.

Oh btw,I'm well aware that bad kids don't just come from poor families. In fact,rich families are prone to having spoiled and self-entitled children. What I was referring to was that if my ideas were ever implemented in society,one of the few flaws it will have is that it will probably be too expensive for the poor families to afford (unless the government decides to make it free or really,really cheap,which seems even more unlikely than my idea becoming true to begin with) and so it cannot erase the bullying epidemic entirely,but at least it will reduce it.

They need to make it affordable for the poor families, just like they are requiring that the homeless children are attending school.

Going back to this topic (I almost posted and forgot to address this),I would say reading Marc's articles should at least minimize the chances of you ending in prison should you find yourself in an incident. The people you will meet in prison might very well turn out to be even worse versions of the bullies you met in middle school,so its best to make an effort to minimize the chances of ever ending up there. I'll leave that decision up to you though. hopefully neither of us ever find ourselves in a violent incident ever again.

I've already decided if I ended up there, I would refuse water and food for a week. I'd go into shock from my extremely low blood pressure (I've gone into shock from this before, and while it's horrifying, I'd prefer that over being bullied again) then fall into a coma, because the guards don't treat people in prison. I would never feel anyone bully me again.

its great that noone is suicidal. thats the best thing to know.

I wouldn't say I didn't try to attempt this while I was in middle school. That is just a very sensitive subject to bring up, and I try not to bring up some things I did in the past.
It is kind of fun to play games like this: http://www.adultswim.com/games/web/five-minutes-to-kill-yourself-reloaded What's your highest score? Mine is 2.5 minutes.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 114
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 25 Aug 2017 12:32

I wouldn't say I didn't try to attempt this while I was in middle school. That is just a very sensitive subject to bring up, and I try not to bring up some things I did in the past.
It is kind of fun to play games like this: http://www.adultswim.com/games/web/five-minutes-to-kill-yourself-reloaded What's your highest score? Mine is 2.5 minutes.

Hmm...interesting game. just played it for the first time and got 3:48:11 minutes. Its unrealistic but hey,not much to expect from a free flash game.

I have to be honest,there were definite times in the past when I felt that I wanted to end it all forever(maybe I'll go into detail at another time,but not now),I actually had a classmate in college who hanged himself in his room(one of the worst/most painful ways to end your life). We were never close,but by coincidence,it happened when I myself was beginning to feel it again. Fortunate circumstances however lead me away from that (had lady luck not been in my favor,I probably would have followed in his footsteps.) and here I am.

I can truthfully say that I'm glad to be alive today,because I was able to experience the wonders of Lucid Dreaming and Mary Jane,among others. While I do occasionally get the feels(it usually happens when I find myself with a problem I can't figure out and feel hopeless),they tend to be fleeting nowadays and with the help of some of my loving family members,things do go well. I also have a few dreams/goals to aim for now(I already spoke of it in our past discussion),and I've got my dream life to look forward to. so yeah,I'm glad to be alive today. :D

lucidé
Posts: 523
Joined: 04 Feb 2017 03:10

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby lucidé » 26 Aug 2017 02:34

RedKryptonite wrote:Hmm...interesting game. just played it for the first time and got 3:48:11 minutes. Its unrealistic but hey,not much to expect from a free flash game.

I know, but when I am feeling depressed on some days, it's fun. Well at least it's more fun than pressing the X button to instant suicide on some video games. I got in SO much trouble because they had the press X to suicide in a kids game, and I kept making Yoshi say, "Yoshi cannot stand one more minute of this video game!"

I have to be honest,there were definite times in the past when I felt that I wanted to end it all forever(maybe I'll go into detail at another time,but not now),I actually had a classmate in college who hanged himself in his room(one of the worst/most painful ways to end your life). We were never close,but by coincidence,it happened when I myself was beginning to feel it again. Fortunate circumstances however lead me away from that (had lady luck not been in my favor,I probably would have followed in his footsteps.) and here I am.

Sorry about your classmate. I had the misfortune of having friends "die" on me by painful illnesses and a 3 year old cousin murdered by getting crushed, so I wasn't too thrilled about that.

I can truthfully say that I'm glad to be alive today,because I was able to experience the wonders of Lucid Dreaming and Mary Jane,among others. While I do occasionally get the feels(it usually happens when I find myself with a problem I can't figure out and feel hopeless),they tend to be fleeting nowadays and with the help of some of my loving family members,things do go well. I also have a few dreams/goals to aim for now(I already spoke of it in our past discussion),and I've got my dream life to look forward to. so yeah,I'm glad to be alive today. :D

My lucid dreams are often one of the few things that motivate me, since sometimes they are one of the only times I can experience anything without my afflictions. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have any motivation left. I am wondering if there is a way one day to live in a lucid dream or virtual reality.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby LoneDreamer » 26 Aug 2017 09:42

I have read this whole thread. I must say modern life really is stressful. I being an depressed introvert for since I was eleven had thought about suicide many times but was scared that my soul will be lost in this world and other scary stuff as told by my mother. I don't believe in it now but it did help me from dying. :mrgreen: But, I must say even then I haven't been exposed to such traumatic incidents such as death of peers. Although, I may experience it soon, considering I am just 18. Also regarding bullying, I most of the time have not been physically bullied even though I was not much strong. Most of the bullying was done verbally. But even then, that including the psychological isolation and a kind of broken family(not divorced) was very taxing for the mind and was very hard to endure. Leading to suicidal thoughts. I must say even now I am depressed many of the times but I can endure it. But my problems seem to pale in comparison for your problems. Lucide and Redkrypontonite. I offer my sincere and deep sympathy for your sufferings and my utmost respect for your hardness and endurance.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 114
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 26 Aug 2017 13:55

LoneDreamer wrote:I have read this whole thread. I must say modern life really is stressful. I being an depressed introvert for since I was eleven had thought about suicide many times but was scared that my soul will be lost in this world and other scary stuff as told by my mother. I don't believe in it now but it did help me from dying. :mrgreen: But, I must say even then I haven't been exposed to such traumatic incidents such as death of peers. Although, I may experience it soon, considering I am just 18. Also regarding bullying, I most of the time have not been physically bullied even though I was not much strong. Most of the bullying was done verbally. But even then, that including the psychological isolation and a kind of broken family(not divorced) was very taxing for the mind and was very hard to endure. Leading to suicidal thoughts. I must say even now I am depressed many of the times but I can endure it. But my problems seem to pale in comparison for your problems. Lucide and Redkrypontonite. I offer my sincere and deep sympathy for your sufferings and my utmost respect for your hardness and endurance.

Thank you for your sentiments. It really isn't fair that people like us got cheated out of a happy childhood,but despite our past suffering,at least life did indeed get better for us(we're not getting bullied/harassed anymore for a start) and hey,if we're all going to oblivion anyway,we might as well make the best of the remaining life we have now,and hopefully even reach true self-actualization in our lifetime. That is what keeps me going :)

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 114
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 26 Aug 2017 13:58

lucidé wrote:My lucid dreams are often one of the few things that motivate me, since sometimes they are one of the only times I can experience anything without my afflictions. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have any motivation left. I am wondering if there is a way one day to live in a lucid dream or virtual reality.

Hopefully the full development of VR technology happens within our lifetime. I wouldn't mind being a 90+ year old fart if that kind of tech is available by then. :mrgreen:

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby LoneDreamer » 26 Aug 2017 14:13

RedKryptonite wrote:
lucidé wrote:My lucid dreams are often one of the few things that motivate me, since sometimes they are one of the only times I can experience anything without my afflictions. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have any motivation left. I am wondering if there is a way one day to live in a lucid dream or virtual reality.

Hopefully the full development of VR technology happens within our lifetime. I wouldn't mind being a 90+ year old fart if that kind of tech is available by then. :mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more. :mrgreen: I want to play and complete a VR game(a good one) before I die. 8-)

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby LoneDreamer » 26 Aug 2017 14:16

Also, I believe you should meet with your classmates. You may be surprised by how much they have changed most probably the bullies. It may be a memorable experience. Its just my opinion though.

User avatar
RedKryptonite
Posts: 114
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 02:26

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby RedKryptonite » 26 Aug 2017 14:45

LoneDreamer wrote:Also, I believe you should meet with your classmates. You may be surprised by how much they have changed most probably the bullies. It may be a memorable experience. Its just my opinion though.

I've met some of my former classmates/enemies since some of them go the same college as I do,and yeah,most of the ones I run into are quite polite(a few however,are not. but I rarely ever come across them so its not a problem.)

Funny enough,this includes the "baddest bully" that I beat in my last fight. He's actually polite whenever we come across each other. (as in,he actually goes out of his way to say Hi to me. I politely greet him back of course,even though I don't think I will ever be truly comfortable interacting with him.) Of course,I can't exactly gauge his character from just those brief greetings,but at least he's not going out of his way to be obnoxious anymore like he used to. (Fatherhood will probably do that to you. yeah,he's already got a kid at his age. teenage pregnancy is not uncommon in my area)

However,if I'm ever going to go to the high school reunions,I plan to do it after a large amount of time(like 15 years or more)and only after I've gotten my life handled. (I've successfully lost weight/gotten fit,gotten financially successful,have improved my social skills to an even greater degree than right now,etc.) I feel doing this will at least improve the chances of the reunion going well for me. I feel going back now or too soon would be a bad idea.

Overall,its at the bottom of my to-do list. There are many,many things I prioritize doing first before I even consider it. Its very optional,and I don't see myself doing it for a very long time,if I ever do so at all. (which is fine and dandy. its not an obligation or anything)

User avatar
LoneDreamer
Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Jul 2017 07:41

Re: Can lucid dreams be used to cure mental illnesses and heal a damaged psyche?

Postby LoneDreamer » 26 Aug 2017 16:18

Regarding fitness. I recently learned to fully climb a ledge(awkwardly) using legs. Now, I am trying to climb a ledge with just my hands. I feel I am close. Just need a little more strength for the pushing part. If I learn this, I will be able to climb anyplace that my hands can reach. Perhaps practicing it in dream may help. 8-)


Return to “Dream Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest